Corbin vs. Tobin seats

ChronosWS

Registered
I have a Corbin seat for my SV1000S and it's awesome - no butt-fatigue after 300 miles riding, very comfortable even though it seems hard when you first sit on it. I've heard a lot of people rave about Tobin seats on here, which from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) are basically cut down and re-covered stock seats.

Has anyone here had a chance to use both seats (preferably for an extended period of time) and could you compare and contrast the two? Is the Corbin seat lower than the stock one? I know the Tobin is. Do both improve the riding position?

Not any real time spent, but I have sat on both. The corbins are firm yeah but legendary in their long term comfort, I didn't care for the one I sat on though at the time but that was awhile ago.

The coolest thing about the Tobins, was the amount of stress it removed from my wrists. They provide a good 2" or so drop it help a good bit. They are shaped well but really they were inteded to come to the market as a Drag racing seat, less padded but moves you lower on the bike. the lowered seating position really rocks...

I finally just broke down and carved my own seat, I like it..

After talking to Tobin on the phone I found out that he doesn't just cut the seat down. He also adds different foam to make it more comfortable. If you really want confort, just go to a gel seat

Altho the Corbin is "supposed" to be a comfort seat, I have sat on plusher park benches.
My ass HATED it!
It sits HIGHER than the stocker.
Most people on here rave about them. I believe that they just don't wanna admit that they wasted money. THIS is just MY thoughts tho.

The Tobin seat is, as you said, a cut down stock seat. Made mostly for drag racing, and will take it's toll on your behind over time.
It sits lower than the stocker.
Very good quality and short term comfy.

The Suzuki GEL SEAT is, in MY opinion the best seat on the market for long distance, and for around $110-$115, you can't go wrong.
It is the same level as the stocker.
They do have some cloth covering tho, so getting it wet, isn't a good idea. It;ll hold the water till it air dries.

I have a corbin and the only thing i like about it is how it is designed i agree its to hard but the shape of it i like i plan to try a gel seat next and see if i like that or take my stock seat in and my corbin and tell the seat maker i know to make my stock one like the corbin but make it softer

I have sat on a Corbin, and was going to buy one, until I heard about Tobin's seats. I was running a Gel Seat when I decided to make the change:
putting in my .02, here are my observations after about 500 miles on my Tobin.
1. Seat looks cool.
2. Seat is 1.5 to 2 inches lower than the stock or Gel seat, so it is a more comfortable riding position, especially on your wrists.
3. When you put your feet down at stops, you cen feel the sides of the seat pan - not that big of a deal, but noticable.
4. The seat does not mold itself as well as my Gel seat, but that itself has pluses and minuses.

I do remember that the Corbin was taller than the stock seat.
Here's what I recommend - get on ebay and buy a gel seat, I have seen them for as lower as 60 dollars (I bought mine for $85) and see what you think. I bought an extra stock seat on EBay for $40 and then paid Tobin the $110 for the seat; 150 total as opposed to the lowest price I have seen on Ebay for a Corbin of about $205. Have you had the chance to sit on a Tobin? That would probably help you make up your mind.

Errr.
Shawn

This statement is useless without pics, bro...
wink.gif

Haven't sat on a Corbin, but have a set. Got a set of Tobins and love 'em. I may put the Corbin on when I get back for a test, but will probably stick with the Tobins.

Sounds like the way to go is to try the gel seat and if that doesn't work, then go with the Tobin. I do want the lower riding position, not a higher one. I am getting a riser which should help with position somewhat, though for me it's my upper back and neck, not my wrists, which suffer. Should help either way.

I'm actually kinda suprised at the generally negative reaction to the Corbins here. Hard, yes. Pricey, yes. Uncomfortable, hell no. But then again, I asked for your opinions and presumably you aren't lying to me
smile.gif

Thanks again guys. Bike mods are almost as fun as riding.

I've put in several hours on all 4 seats:
1) Stock ... painful but tolerable for me
2) All Black Gel ... too darn soft and retains water
3) Black and Gray Gel ... felt just as hard and uncomfy as the stock
4) Corbin ... worked for me ... rode with it for several months
5) Tobin ... even better than the Corbin for me ... over a year on the Tobin now and all the others are collecting dust.

5) Tobin ... even better than the Corbin for me ... over a year on the Tobin now and all the others are collecting dust.
Hey sage, on the black and grey you have, what tank cover is that?

This statement is useless without pics, bro...
wink.gif
Like I said, I broke down and built my own. Wasn't that hard, but it does need to be recovered in a material worth a shid. Shaped it fit my booty.

One piece of advice though, take it slow and do not remover TOO much foam. I think I got mine a little too low... But it was nice and comfy for an hour anyway... I think I'll pull off the shiddy vinyl, add about 1/2" of Memory foam then have it professionally recovered locally. In the end I'll have a perfect Ass huggin seat form fit to me.

post-11-65047-cutseat04.jpg

FWIW Dropping the seat height a couple of inches makes a huge difference in comfort overall. Less weight on wrists and upper body, helps ya feel more "IN" than on the bike.

Yeah, I have a Corbin and I rate it at about a 7 out of 10. Initially, hard as rock. After about 300 miles, it started conforming to my ass (either that, or my ass just got used to it). It's an extremely comfortable seat when just cruising upright at around 60-85 mph. However, when you want to tuck it puts more stress on your shoulders, lower back, and wrists. This is due having to sit all the way back on the seat to be in it's "comfort zone". Also, it sucks for riding the twisties. The seat is kind of cupped with high edges that will not let you slide around on. Kind of a bitch when you want to transfer some weight.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy a gel seat.

Hey sage, on the black and grey you have, what tank cover is that?
That is the Bagster tank cover ... you can check them out at www.eurobikes.com ... I use it and the Alpha tank bag to haul my laptop and other junk back and forth to work. If you want any close-up pics or have any questions, let me know.

Back