Corbin Gen 1 Seat Review

Akunin

Registered
If this review is better suited in another sub-forum please notify a Mod to move it. My apologies, I couldn't' find a better place

On 9-17-15 I placed an order with Corbin for a rear seat and back rest (ass catcher) and received the order on 10-28-15. Not a bad turn around for a custom seat.

First of all the stitching on this thing is great. Very well assembled and I immediately saw what all the fuss was about these seats..

That was before I took a closer look.

This particular seat has a tube that is used inside the fiberglass saddle that holds the rear back rest to the seat via a post and pin configuration. The post from the rest slides into the tube in the rear of the seat and is fastened with a set screw. That would be great if the tube inside the pan is straight. Mine is offset and as a result the rear back rest sits at a very odd angle. If someone were to sit on it the pad would hit the passenger right in the kidney. Well I haven't even bothered to put it on the bike.

The crooked support is one thing but then whomever had to drill the hole for the set screw to hold the thing together took a shot in the dark. One drill attempt missed the support entirely, the second seemed off the mark and then I found a third hole hidden under... epoxy?? This pan looks like swiss cheese.

This is the beginning of a very frustrating "ride", one that I paid $400 for altogether.

They wouldn't respond to emails.

One call I got someone and I was informed that it appears the pan is defective. They thought the seat would have to be returned and redone but I would have to pay to get it recovered. ? Huh, its new? Well they put me on hold and within 5 seconds I was disconnected. Any and all calls since then have resulted in a similar "disconnection" scenario.

No one can give me answers.

No one in this company seems to know what Customer Service is, it simply does-not-exist.

I've never had treatment like this from any company. Ever.

To put "Made In The U.S.A." on this product is a slap in the face.

This post is by far the rudest I've been. I can't get ahold of someone at this company long enough to even complain!

So I've spoken with my lawyer about this matter today and see if this can maybe get the ball rolling.

At first I wanted what I paid for, but now I don't want anything to do with this company. Their treatment of their customers is by far the worst I've ever seen.

So buyer be warned! If this company made good products and responded to problems at one point and time it is no longer the case.

Nothing from this company. Nothing. No calls, no emails just a thank you for the money and here's your bedpan.

for the quality of materials used I give them a 4 out of 5 stars. I got what I paid for there.

For the craftsmanship.. 2 out of 5. 2 just for the stitching and the back rest is well done.

for Customer Service a -5. It simply does not exist.

I'll update this as it progresses but at this point I'm thinking of just filing a BBB report and hearing what the lawyer says. I may have a classified listing as my next thread.

Better hold on to that junk seat til the situation is resolved.
I've had a couple Corbins with great results, but it's been several years.
Sorry to hear of your trouble.
Been there, done that, several times.
I hope it works out in your favor.

Love my Corbins, But like yourself I've had to deal with them on a complaint, and they have the worst costomer service Ive ever dealt with. They are very cocky, and dont care once they got your money. I love there seats, but will never spend another dime with them.

Love my Corbins, But like yourself I've had to deal with them on a complaint, and they have the worst costomer service Ive ever dealt with. They are very cocky, and dont care once they got your money. I love there seats, but will never spend another dime with them.

Wow, seems like things there really have went downhill.

Here's some pix.

Call me nitpicky but for $400 I expect better, at least some degree of service. They have yet to answer any of my questions.

corbin_top.jpg

and without the editing. The angle of the internal tube is offset so the whole rear is crooked as a result. I could heat and bend the post that inserts into the seat to straighten the backrest but for $400 should I really have to? The hole at the top I found under some epoxy (?, I think) so someone at one point attempted to repair/hide a mistake but left the partially drilled "oopsy" alone. But really? This is what I paid for?

corbin_holes_2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very poor quality, I would expect more from a company like Corbin. I understand why your upset.

My lawyer recommended using the BBB as a means up the ladder so I'm waiting to hear back from BBB. If Corbin even replies to them. If not then I will push this into court, I'm so sick of crooks.

I would be calling my Credit Card company ASAP and saying you didn't get what you paid for and to stop payment to them or raise a claim through the CC Co.

Your lawyer could send them a certified letter stating if in XX days they have not contacted you - you will be filing a claim in small claims court.

Either of the above should light a fire under them much faster then the BBB as that only effects their rating - which they don't seem to care about right now.

Good luck.

The BBB route won't get you anywhere. I just looked them up on BBB. They are NOT BBB accredited, and their rating is F based on 31 complaints.

Go check it out... HERE

Having said that, I love my Corbin seats, but I bought them both used. I have never dealt with the company, and never will based on poor customer service reviews I've read about over the years.

I would be calling my Credit Card company ASAP and saying you didn't get what you paid for and to stop payment to them or raise a claim through the CC Co.

Your lawyer could send them a certified letter stating if in XX days they have not contacted you - you will be filing a claim in small claims court.

Either of the above should light a fire under them much faster then the BBB as that only effects their rating - which they don't seem to care about right now.

Good luck.

BBB was just another attempt for them to acknowledge the issue, which of course they didn't. The lawyer has since taken over and looks like its off to small claims

This doesn't sound like the Corbin I know. I put my Corbin on and it was fine for several rides. Then I was working on the bike and the seat would not fit back on! Called then and they told me to get as close to in place as possible and sit on it. That fixed the problem. Anyway I love the seat and it is easily the best seat I have ever had. On the other hand I bet Corbin gets a ton of complaints. The seat has a tendency to feel weird until it breaks in and if people don't have patience with it they would be on the phone asking for an RMA. That could explain the customer service attitude

This doesn't sound like the Corbin I know. I put my Corbin on and it was fine for several rides. Then I was working on the bike and the seat would not fit back on! Called then and they told me to get as close to in place as possible and sit on it. That fixed the problem. Anyway I love the seat and it is easily the best seat I have ever had. On the other hand I bet Corbin gets a ton of complaints. The seat has a tendency to feel weird until it breaks in and if people don't have patience with it they would be on the phone asking for an RMA. That could explain the customer service attitude

If it were a matter of breaking it in it would be one thing but they sent a defective unit out and wont acknowledge that its their fault.

This part review turned into a company review and when this company goes under I'm marking that day on the calendar and I'm going to celebrate. It shouldn't be long with business practice like this

On a happier note I've decided to just move on from this whole thing. The seats for sale and its $200 plus $25 shipping. That's half off

I've better things to do. For example installing some goodies on the busa. Next up, Denali Soundbomb and Woodcraft frame sliders :)

If it were a matter of breaking it in it would be one thing but they sent a defective unit out and wont acknowledge that its their fault.

This part review turned into a company review and when this company goes under I'm marking that day on the calendar and I'm going to celebrate. It shouldn't be long with business practice like this
I can understand your frustration but there seats are some of the best around so you might be waiting a long time.

I can understand your frustration but there seats are some of the best around so you might be waiting a long time.

not if they keep peddling this crap and treat their customers like they do. I hope to see them in Sturgis next year. I should keep the seat to show all their potential buyers what to expect

when this company goes under...I'm going to celebrate. It shouldn't be long...

...you might be waiting a long time.

Agree that it might be a while... in spite of their customer service track record. I bought my first Corbin 12 or so years ago. Their customer service reputation at that time was no different than it is now. Somehow they thrive in spite of this. Regardless, I wouldn't trade the Corbin front seat on my Hayabusa for any other.

Back