Corbin Beetle Bags

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
The Beetle bags arrived yesterday...Dark Blue to match my bike. They are absolutely beautiful...just stunning. The bike will look sooo good with these bags. My hats off to Corbin.

Now for the critic. There are a few "things that make you go hmm". This weekend, I am going to the bike show and will present a letter to Corbin complimenting them on their excellence and asking:

What the hell were you thinking when you designed the bags so small? I would think that one of the basic specifications would be that luggage be able to hold a full size helmet. OK, granted, the engineers were limited in how long to make the bags due to turn signals on one end and a potential passenger's leg on the other. Additionally, they were limited in height due to the desire to have mobility by a passenger. But why the heck couldn't the bags gain square footage with width?

What the hell were you thinking when you did not include a carrying handle. I imagine ariving at a destination and desiring to take the luggage inside. Would it be too much to ask to be able to have a secure grip and carry the bags like a suitcase? These freak'n bags are too expensive to risk having them slip out of your arms, crash to the ground, and get scratched up. Why not a simple fold-down handle.

What the hell were you thinking when you designed the bags so they do not stand up very well when placed on a flat surface. The bottom isn't even and it wants to tip over.

What the hell were you thinking when you didn't design these with a quick release. I haven't mounted the bags yet, but it does not appear as though they pop on and off once the hardware is installed. Perhaps a lot of riders will leave th bags on permanently. However, I can't be the only rider who would like to use the bags to transport luggage, but would like to leave the bags in the hotel while cruising at a particular destination. Am I expected to unload my stuff and carry my underwear thru the hotel under my arms? What if it is raining?

With all that said, I think I am going to like the bags. They look great! As a single rider, I could probably make it work for a week-long trip (provided I don't want to take an extra helmet for the groupies). For a couple, I think we are looking at overnight or a weekend. But geeze. If Corbin doesn't have it, I am going to suggest that they form a Users Advisory Group. This seems like market research 101 to me.

Thinker

Greg, I am going to get the same bags for my bike. I'm glad you mentioned these issues. It will not sway my purchase, as they are the nicest looking I've seen.

What did you pay?

I ordered them directly from Corbin. The price was $699. Delivery was a staggering 10 weeks, but they don't charge you till they are ready to ship. I have never seen dealers sell Corbin stuff for less, but I do believe that you might be able to get some kind of deal if you order stuff at the motorcycle show. I seem to recall getting a deal on a seat by doing that.

Are you going up to Seattle for the show this weekend?

Now I know why I got an FJR? Seen a site with lots of new 2002 model stuff cheap today, like a Blackbird for $8,880 or a Suzuki Hayabusa for $8,899 - the FJR was $13,500!
jump9.gif

I just love my GIVI setup..pop off carry in..brackets are ugly without the bags on..everthing is a compromise..
40__s.gif

Anybody seen side by side pics of the variuos bags available??? I'd like to see that. Not sure how I will be traveling cross country with the Busa this next year...
rock.gif

From what I have seen the Corbin's are going to be hard to beat. In my opinon they look to fit and even compliment the Busa rather well. I have been considering buying a set for mine. Even though others that I tend to ride with tell me it would be the worst thing I could do. However I really dont care what they think. Will probably wait until after the holidays to order.

If you’re looking at hard bags for the Busa, Corbin’s are the way to go. That is, unless you can FIND a set of Givi's. The Busa is not the best bike for panniers due to the design purpose of the bike - aerodynamics is number one. Also I would recommend a taller windscreen (Zero Gravity) and Heli-bars.

You will have one hell-of a fast, shall I say touring bike???

Thinker62, let us know how they work out, pic's would be nice too.
biggrin.gif

Hey thinker, glad you are enjoying the bags. Please post pics when you get them installed. You know, $700 is a lot of money for bags with all those "things that make you go hmm" you listed. One question: when you take the bags off, how much of the brackets are showing?

For real sport-touring, the Corbins are just too small in capacity. I agree they look great on your bike, but why have hard bags if you can't even carry two days worth of gear? The listed capacity for the Corbins is about 20 liters per bag, most tank bags will hold more than that. I don't think you get your money's worth for those unless they're strictly for show.

All good points. I actually knew about most of the issues BEFORE I ordered the bags, but I figure that 95% of my touring will be weekend rides, and it is important to me to look good, so I went for the Corbins. I am concerned about houw the bike will look when the bags are off, but someone told me not bad at all. The other set-ups I have seen are butt ugly when the bags are off. I think that it is BS for us to have to make a choice of being 100% touring or 100% leisure riding. I want to be able to bounce back and forth.

I will let you know how it all works out, but once again, the bags are absolutely beautiful! (Good arm candy.)

Thinker

Thinker,

I understand that you were not to be swayed from Corbin's when we discussed this earlier this year. I tried to point out these shortfalls to you then. Corbins are made with the purpose that they not be removed. They do integrate with the looks of the bike, and this is their only advantage over any other setup. I think they do integrate well, but I still don't think they really look that good (just my opinion). Yes, to most, my boxy cases are not attractive, but I could not justify the cost and lack of usibility of the beetle bags on just style, of which I really wasn't a big fan.

My Krauser's hold 2 full face helmets in each case. THey come off with a twist of a key and push of a button. THey go on by simply sliding them back on the mount - lock in automatically. They have a built in handle. I installed the entire system in 2 hours under less that ideal conditions (very poor lighting) with no problems. No modification to the bike was necessary, but re-routing of the turnsignals was. They cost less - $519 delivered. And I got them in 3 weeks, 1 day. Additionally, I ordered them from riderhaus, and they have a forum on the internet for all of their products and answer questions pretty quickly. Oh, they stand up easily on their own when off the bike. I am very pleased with my cases.

Thinker, I do not mean this as a mine are better response. I'm just addressing each of your concerns with the Corbin product. Also, Corbin's reputation for ZERO customer service (unless you bought a Harley seat) was a factor. I am very glad that you are happy with your cases/ Beetle Bags. I just don't want people to think there are no other alternatives for the Busa. There are tradeoffs when ever you modify the bike, and this is no different. Any addition of hard cases will help out the usability of the bike, but cosmetics - well, they are in the eye of the beholder. Hope you get many happy miles out of the Beetle Bags.

Riderhaus
Where I got my Krauser sideracks and K5 cases.

Gar

Yep it is a prefference thing I guess. Obviously, Corbin designed the bags so that they will stay on...the question is why?

While at the Show this weekend, i visited with Corbin and took a good look at the set-up. They are not all that hard to remove (3 bolts each), but it simply could be much easier. Also, from what I can tell, the bike will not have a huge bracket visible when the bags are off. I will definately post pictures. Some people are cool with the brackets, but I can't stand how they make the Busa look. Purhaps getting them powder coated or painted would help?

Anyway, I made my choice, and I am happy with it. My point is that the choice is not with out sacrifice. all of us are providing key information that others can use when they make a choice. We all have different hot buttons.

By the way...is Givi going to offer a new setup for "Busas that do not have the frame problem?

Thinker

Thinker

"By the way...is Givi going to offer a new setup for "Busas that do not have the frame problem?"

The answer is NO......
sad.gif

I think SW Motech has a side rack available now for the Busa. It is not listed anywhere, but an information request at riderhaus should get the needed info. These are German racks for sportbikes that allow the use of standard Givi cases. THe thing is, the racks themselves are quick release, leaving only 2-3 small tabs visible when removed. The quick release of the rack is also keyed, so noone can come and slip 'em off. Another option I was aware of when I got mine, but I wanted the big spare tire size Krausers. 5-stars makes the other widely available rack for the Busa to accept Givi. It requires the top rack to be installed, even if you don't want a top box. The rack has the standard look of rectangular steel tubing with round corners. Cost for the 5 stars and SW Motech racks are about $170-200, if I recall correctly. The cases are then ordered seperately, not as a full kit, but if ordered from the same place, will probably all be shipped together.

Gar

So, are you riding this beast to Leguna Seca? Maybe you could carry some gear for me?
tounge.gif

Thinker

gararnett,

Looks like your starting to get picked on? Saddlebags (sounds to Harleyish)? Their Panniers matey!!!

think I've decided to just go with a tank bag, and a backpack... saw a backpack I really liked. Will post it when I find it.

Back