Cops shoots unarmed National Gurdsman

NYPD officer shot unarmed National Guardsman during traffic stop, witness says - Crimesider - CBS News

I'd like to hear the defense the resident LEOs are going to come up with for this fine example.

If it happended just like it was reported then looks like jail time is the right punishment.. However! Notice this is a one sided story, all from the front seat passenger. The person in the back was asleep..... I know that people never ever lie so this is an open and shut case...

Not sure what happened :dunno: But this statement by the passenger disturbs me

"The police proceeded to try to chase us, sticking their middle finger at us and screaming obscenities at the car and trying to pull us over," DeFerrari said.

Was he in a marked unit??? Detectives around here don't really do traffic stops, because of the cars they drive..

If the cop that shot him said he shot himself, I wonder what kind of report is being written. Need to hear the other side...

And I'm willing to let the other side of the story play out. It would pretty easy to see if there was a firearm in the vehicle. And she did indicate and admit that vehicle was being driven erratically. So she appears to have some credibility in recognizing facts. There was also an officer in the back seat. She oughta be helpful in offering a trained perspective of things of the characater of the people she is riding with.

its a one-sided story and I really question the validy of this story when they say "the police were sticking their middle finger at us and screaming obscenities at the car and trying to pull us over". the police dont need to give you the finger cause they have the authority to stop you. that's laughable....:whistle: people give others the middle finger and scream obscenities when they cant confront them and they are driving off and know they cant have a face to face confrontation.

so let me get this straight. there is an off duty police officer in back of the car sleeping??? and they dont wake this person up when they get stopped by the police after a so-called road rage incident or during the so-called road rage incident? im waiving the BS flag on this one....:boohoo:

sounds to me like the people in this car were chit-faced and either dont remember how things happened or were acting like azzholes and did something to cause the cop to think he was armed cause their story sounds about as reliable as a submarine with screen doors.....:whistle:

it will be interesting to hear the full investigation into this

+1

I'll be the first to admit that there are alot of corrupt officers around, but this story seem a little far fetched. If it turns out to be true, then by all means the officer shoud be punished . Geuss we'll have to wait and see.

its definitely on the news up here but there's no place on the GCP where you are pulling over that would allow for a lot of screwin around. I can see some aggressive driving out there for sure and detectives up here drive unmarked cars but they all have lights and I've personally seen the Chief of Detectives for NYC pull someone over for road rage so it happens. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, lots of bad decisions with the NYPD and when to fire their weapons here lately unfortunately.

its definitely on the news up here but there's no place on the GCP where you are pulling over that would allow for a lot of screwin around. I can see some aggressive driving out there for sure and detectives up here drive unmarked cars but they all have lights and I've personally seen the Chief of Detectives for NYC pull someone over for road rage so it happens. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, lots of bad decisions with the NYPD and when to fire their weapons here lately unfortunately.

And that's why you don't mess around when it comes to a cop or anyone else that's carrying a gun and in a position of authority. Police in particular have a tough job, lot's of stress and when they pull someone over all they know about is that you are something between an angelic person and a mass murderer/cop killer and the have to assume the latter until they find otherwise. If you don't do EVERYTHING they say, exactly as they say it, then they get nervous and start thinking you're a threat. Next thing ya know the guns come out and bad stuff happens.

Of course, the best thing to do is to not give them a reason to focus on you in the first place. As citizens, that's generally our first mistake and that's on us.

true but NYPD in particular has a pretty craptastic record when it comes to excessive force violations ;) They also were the ones that emptied 2 clips into the guy on a crowded street, injuring several innocent folks with stray rounds/ricochets. Not disagreeing with ya but this same traffic stop in say, Dallas or LA or Seattle or EMA Iowa (East Mules Azz) would almost certainly not have ended with a dead driver. I'm just hoping the real facts are brought to light and *if* the officer took the wrong actions he is punished accordingly. If the was justified in the shooting they will need to prove it *really* well seeing as there was (according to all reports thus far) no weapon in the suspect car.

lets not forget that the NYPD has between 35,000 and 40,000 officers! the law of averages say they as a department are likely to have a high number of shootings good and bad. thats way more cops then the entire state of Connecticut has.

they have their 10%'ers just like every other profession does but thats a pretty squared away police department and making detective there is a big deal.

the detective could have overreacted or the operator could have pointed his phone at him and he thought it was a gun.??? people are stupid sometimes and point their smart phones at you as ur walking up to the car saying how they are calling the police on you for stopping them.:whistle: it can and does happen and on the side of a NYC freeway its pretty tight and hard to hear and see late at night. chit can go south there real fast!

a lotta people have no problem killing a cop or anyone else for that matter.

ive been stopped in NY city. my hands are on the sterring wheels and my interior lights are on. im respectful and dont make any sudden movements. they dont know me. cops just dont walk up to cars and shoot people in the stomach. BS! that may happen in the movies but in real life the operator did something to make the cop think he was pointing a gun at him! there doesnt NEED to be a gun to shoot someone. the threat of is just as deadly and just as defendable.

or.... the cop could have made a bad decision. that happens often to but more likely then not the operator has put the cop in that position by the way they are acting or driving. its possible they had to chase this kids car for a period of time. when cops are in unmarked units in the city their hard to see sometimes and the cops could have thought he was trying to screw on him and maybe he was? who knows? a lot of "what if's"...

Lucky shot,,, NYPD cops have very bad aim, they suck at shooting. My experience with the NYPD is they are pretty level headed, they do suck with marksmanship though. Lets wait and see the investigation.

lets not forget that the NYPD has between 35,000 and 40,000 officers! the law of averages say they as a department are likely to have a high number of shootings good and bad. thats way more cops then the entire state of Connecticut has.

they have their 10%'ers just like every other profession does but thats a pretty squared away police department and making detective there is a big deal.

the detective could have overreacted or the operator could have pointed his phone at him and he thought it was a gun.??? people are stupid sometimes and point their smart phones at you as ur walking up to the car saying how they are calling the police on you for stopping them.:whistle: it can and does happen and on the side of a NYC freeway its pretty tight and hard to hear and see late at night. chit can go south there real fast!

ive been stopped in NY city. my hands are on the sterring wheels and my interior lights are on. im respectful and dont make any sudden movements. they dont know me. cops just dont walk up to cars and shoot people in the stomach. BS! that may happen in the movies but in real life the operator did something to make the cop think he was pointing a gun at him! there doesnt NEED to be a gun to shoot someone. the threat of is just as deadly and just as defendable.

or.... the cop could have made a bad decision. that happens often to but more likely then not the operator has put the cop in that position by the way they are acting or driving. its possible they had to chase this kids car for a period of time. when cops are in unmarked units in the city their hard to see sometimes and the cops could have thought he was trying to screw on him and maybe he was? who knows? a lot of "what if's"...

I hear ya, I won't argue with you but if they can't prove a really really really damn good reason for that cop to have fired into that car, I hope they sue the hell out of the city and win. Size of the department really doesnt matter honestly, if you have 1 cop or 1M cops they should trained for situations they can encounter, certainly a traffic stop, even if the driver has been an azzhat its part of the job, I suspect daily in NYC. You might hear more about some bad things because of the size and the fact that its NYC but this shooting and the one in midtown last month are examples of perhaps where they could use more training. I'm not demonizing this cop as the facts are still very much being investigated but the one in midtown, no question those cops clearly need some retraining.

Time will tell but the shooting in midtown is all but a distant memory as far as the media goes up here. *IF* this comes out that the cop was in error, it will be interesting to see how the media plays it.

no weapon found in vehicle...waiting for the dash cam..if it ever shows up

Can't be true.

The last time nypd shot someone they fired 16 rounds and only struck their intended target twice.
Impossible for them to have hit him on the first shot.

Story does seem iffy and your comment about law of averages is spot on.

Two things, I have had copes flip me off and swear at me an friends. Actually it used to happen sorta often. Not saying I didn't deserve any of it though.

As for people calling the cops after being pulled over. It happened a bunch out here for a while... Of course there was a dude in an unmarked police "type" car wearing a police "like" uniform pulling people over and harassing them about their driving. It was strange ;p

Story does seem iffy and your comment about law of averages is spot on.

Two things, I have had copes flip me off and swear at me an friends. Actually it used to happen sorta often. Not saying I didn't deserve any of it though.

As for people calling the cops after being pulled over. It happened a bunch out here for a while... Of course there was a dude in an unmarked police "type" car wearing a police "like" uniform pulling people over and harassing them about their driving. It was strange ;p

A couple of years ago we had someone driving a retired cop car pulling people over and robbing them at gun point and the public was informed if someone attempts to pull you over and they have no overhead lights or the car is unmarked to call 911 and they can tell you if a officer is actually behind you.

Size of the department really doesnt matter honestly, if you have 1 cop or 1M cops they should trained for situations they can encounter,
no im just pointing out that they have a chit load of cops. more then many states do so its only natural to have incidents like this considering how many cops there where the same uniform. if he screwed up he screwed up. it does happen but a NY city detective just walking up to the car and shooting someone cause he's pissed of is BS!

im simply stating that a PD like that will have incidents nearly every week of some sort just as there are incidents every week from state to state. much of NY is a violent place. especially places in the Bronx, Harlem, Queens, etc...

they have a relatively low crime rate for their city size. last year cops shot and killed eight people and wounding 16 others. for a PD with 35k+ officers that work in some very violent areas that a pretty low number of shootings considering.

Back