Cooling of the Seat?

efiguero

Registered
Anyone have any suggestions other than getting a new seat as the funds are not available for that at the moment. I currently have the Suzuki Gel seat on my 08, and as most of you know it starts to get hot after a while of riding causing discomfort. Any short term or cheap remedies for the moment? Also, any one use bicycle riding shorts under their pants to help on long rides, does it do anything? Thanks for the input, I tried doing a search but could not really find anything on cooling down the seat.

I found the gel seat gets way too hot. If you can't get a different seat a sheep skin cover works good for touring in the heat.

I've seen a couple of guys with those wooden beads like you use on car seats. It doesn't seem like it would be too comfy, but it would allow some airflow between the seat and your bum.

I found the gel seat gets way too hot. If you can't get a different seat a sheep skin cover works good for touring in the heat.

+1 on both.. I used a gel seat on 1 ride then sold it.. I have used a sheep skin and found it real nice.. :beerchug:

You guys are wussies. Just get a stock seat, and change your position slightly once in a while. After a few k miles your butt will get used to it. :poke: :rofl:

You guys are wussies. Just get a stock seat, and change your position slightly once in a while. After a few k miles your butt will get used to it. :poke: :rofl:

+1 44,000 miles all on the stock seat. I would like to try a corbin though :poke:

Are you guys saying that the gel seat gets hotter than the stock one? I have a gel seat, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I rode the stocker for over 8,000 miles on my old Busa and never had any problem with it, just thought I'd try something different.

+1 on both.. I used a gel seat on 1 ride then sold it.. I have used a sheep skin and found it real nice.. :beerchug:

Any recommendations on getting a sheep skin cover? Where, Price?

I've seen a couple of guys with those wooden beads like you use on car seats. It doesn't seem like it would be too comfy, but it would allow some airflow between the seat and your bum.

I had heard about that too, and thought the same of it possibly being uncomfortable. Funny thing was, I was at a buddy's shop and saw an older BMW sitting there and it had the wooden beads cover on the seat and I poked fun saying I have never seen that on a bike. My buddy said they use it to cool their rears off when riding, then it made me think, maybe there is something to it. Anyone else try these wooden bead deals?

Any recommendations on getting a sheep skin cover? Where, Price?

I had heard about that too, and thought the same of it possibly being uncomfortable. Funny thing was, I was at a buddy's shop and saw an older BMW sitting there and it had the wooden beads cover on the seat and I poked fun saying I have never seen that on a bike. My buddy said they use it to cool their rears off when riding, then it made me think, maybe there is something to it. Anyone else try these wooden bead deals?

Beads, my rear... they don't mix. :rulez:

:lol:

“Quality” bike shorts do make a big difference. I have used them for years. As far as heat and a gel, I never rode one long enough to tell if is started out cold. But if it sets in the sun very long at all it will get hot! Very hot compared to a stocker. Enough that I took it back off and gave it back to the guy that loaned it to me.

“Qualityâ€￾ bike shorts do make a big difference. I have used them for years. As far as heat and a gel, I never rode one long enough to tell if is started out cold. But if it sets in the sun very long at all it will get hot! Very hot compared to a stocker. Enough that I took it back off and gave it back to the guy that loaned it to me.

I'm not familiar with bike shorts at all. What makes one better over another? Any recommendation for them? I would like to try the bike shorts for my next ride just don't know anything about them. :beerchug:

You could get some type of sound deadening material or heat reflective material and put it on the bottom of the seat. Doing this should help out some.

I have been using under armor type compression shorts under my leathers and my kevlar jeans. I swear by them to reduce monkey butt on the long rides.

For 10 years I have used a buddy to make saddles for me (Mr. Larry Cochrell, Owner of 26 yrs, Larry's Custom Upholstery, work 936-539-2205, work 825 Frazier, Conroe, Texas). We use one-inch thick gel pad material, and marine grade seat coverings. I find a seat pan (usually a whole seat on ebay) and turn him loose. A simple seat runs $150.00 and a bunch of pockets or stitching will cost $200.00. I am 5'6", weigh 140 pounds, and have a 27" inseam, so the distance from the seat to the ground is important.

I'm not familiar with bike shorts at all. What makes one better over another? Any recommendation for them? I would like to try the bike shorts for my next ride just don't know anything about them. :beerchug:

Check out a local bicycle shop. Lycra, you want a 6-8 panel design, tight enough they do not bunch up, chamois padding but not too thick. You can also find them at the chain sporting good stores. The chain store will have a varity. Usually the higher priced ones at the chain stores fit the above.

Back