Cooling Fan comes on then stops after 20 seconds

gs1100et

Registered
Hello!
I have a 2002 busa, i've noticed on a few occassions when the temperature gets above the half way mark on the guage the cooling fans kicks on but stops after 20 seconds or so and doesn't come on again, it will come on again after the bike cools below the half way mark on the guage then heats up again to just above the half way mark. The fan spins freely and I have never blown a fuse. I'm sure this is what caused the bike to overheat at Friday 13th in Port Dover and now I have a slow leak in the rad core. First question: anyone have any suggestions about the fan ? Second question: On EBAY there are some new aftermarket rads for about $90 by ASI and dtpatrs, anyone have any experience with these rads as I have had really bad luck with stuff made in China , I've mailed dtpatrs and gotten no reponse about that rad so I'm hesitant to purchase. I'm also considering pulling the rad and going to a rad shop to see if it can be repaired, the leak is very slight and there is no coolant on the ground, it burns off on the core , you can smell it.
Thanks for your time everyone!
Regards
Wayne

Best bet is to take the radiator to the shop to get fixed, plus it will be cheaper and u know it will fit..i know some guys have bought those radiators off ebay, they said they are cheap and are not to oem specs..i believe on of the hoses are off or something..it might be that sensor in the radiator it might just be low on fluid..id fix the radiator then start on your other problem with the fans kicking off..

Thanks Freechance!
I brought the rad into the shop yesterday, I'll have it back today, and go from there, I'll post again once I get it installed and the air out of the system, test ride and get her hot and monitor the fan engagement.
Regards
Wayne

While you have it a part you could check the thrmoswitch with hot water or a blow dryer with an ohm meter. There's also a fan relay in the circuit. Best of luck.

Geez, I had it all back together before i read you post, fan does the same thing, I did notice there is always power going to the fan even when the key is off, whats a relay do?

You might want to replace the fan relay. It's only $10 according to the other thread. Pull the service manual and check the schematic. Simple circuit.

You know you could also buy a used OEM rad off ebay as well instead of going aftermarket. I bought an 08 and did the conversion and had no problems out of it :thumbsup:

dont buy aftermarket rad off ebay..boo hiss.. they freakin suck!! dont fit correct and are cheap. go oem used if not oem new.. trust me.. i tried shortcut and got bit.. i have pics.. email me and i show you..

Back