coolant color in over flow?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
dealer switched me over to WATER WETTER. In the past, I was certain the overflow container behind the lower left fairing was also filled with the PINK Water Wetter. Mine still looks like the green-yellow glycol stuff.

Is it possible to still have the Green in the overflow but full water wetter in radiator? I suspect they screwed up, but don't want to take it back if I am wrong

You add the Water Wetter to the coolant at the rate of 1oz to every quart of coolant. Nowhere near enough to change the green color of the anti-freeze.

for track days you have to REMOVE all glycol green stuff. It doesn't even look likes it's mixed. I thought watter weter was to be mixed with water, not glycol, but their online PDF doesnt describe usage very deeply

You can mix it with anti-freeze. Directions say it cools a little better with a less than 50% anti freeze mix.
But yeah, if the track sees green in your overflow bottle they may not let you run. Pull the radiator cap off and see what it looks like. You may only have to drain the overflow bottle and refill it.

dealer switched me over to WATER WETTER. In the past, I was certain the overflow container behind the lower left fairing was also filled with the PINK Water Wetter. Mine still looks like the green-yellow glycol stuff.

Is it possible to still have the Green in the overflow but full water wetter in radiator? I suspect they screwed up, but don't want to take it back if I am wrong

Sounds like they did not do a very good job of flushing out the coolant...must have been some still in there, and it 'tinted' the mix. If you re flush the system and put in some more Water Wetter you should be fine :beerchug:

they were probably being lazy and didn't even swap out the fluid in the over flow. Just take the hose off the bottom of the overflow tank, drain it out and put a splash of water in it. I would also pull the rad cap and check to see what color the coolant is in there to be sure they even changed that.

When I replaced the coolant this year the correct amount according to the Water Wetter I had was 3 ounces per Quart. I had 3 quarts so I added 9 ounces. Haven't had any problems overheating other than a blown fan fuse which I corrected. Wardie

I changed Pip's coolant last week, the overflow was below low and I didn't know what was in there from the prior owner so I went at it.

1. Pulled both fairings.
2. Drained the system via the lower hose on the left at the water pump.
3. Drained the overflow bottle and flushed with distilled water.
4. Refilled the system with distilled water.
5. Rocked bike side to side and topped off with more distilled water.
6. Ran until the fan kicked on a couple times.
7. Let her cool down.
8. Repeat 2 thru 7. (flushed her out real good)
9. Refilled the system with Iceman PRK pre-mix Koolant. (its blue, looks like windscreen washer fluid)
10. Reassembled fairings and called it a night.

It hasn't gotten into the 90s here yet but so far Pip has been running consistantly cooler than before. Prior to the change she always ran just about 1/8" above the mid-line on the temp gage, now she runs 1/8" under to just below it. I'm sure it was time well spent with hot summer temps just around the corner!

Last edited:
Back