Cool (or stupid) Ideas

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
At home sick today so I thought I would list out some things I have been thinking about:

Dual Stage Horn: Push the button quickly and you get the typical stock honk. But hold the button down and you get a 110 DB air horn type blast.

Smart Helmet: This helmet would have a heads up display giving you RPM and speed information. Of course it would have microphone and ear speakers. It would also have an LED brake light on the back to give you a little more visibility. The helmet would be connected to a module you install on the bike automatically through Bluetooth. The module would get speed, RPM, and braking information to send to the HUD and brake light.
LCD Smart Instruments: Rather than dials and small LCD information centers, there would be 7 or 10 inch touch screen display. You can configure the information: Analogue or digital speed; analogue dials or bar RPM; you can arrange the information in any way and size; you can put lap or performance information up; a rear view camera; or GPS information. There would be a smart mode where the display shows relevant information (i.e. hit the signal light and the rear display comes on, time to turn the map pops up). The system would also be expandable with internet options, controls for heated gear, data logging, weather warnings, and switches for your accessories that you can label on the display.

Automatic shifter: This would be a typical quick shifter that could also be set to do the shifting for you. It would have modes like performance and economy. Anytime you want to shift just use your left boot like always. Now if it could work the clutch too, it could go full automatic. This would be awesome when you get stuck in traffic.

Smart Cruise: This would be a cruise control that you can set to adjust to the speed limit. No more getting surprised by speed traps! This would have to be tied into a GPS obviously.
Adjustable handlebars: Pretty straight forward. I’m surprised no one has done it yet.

Audio Center: This is a development of the AutoCom system. First make it modular so you can just buy a module to add features. Modules might be an AM/FM radio, XM Satellite, even TV audio. Also there would be a module that has mics and speakers so you can hear someone talking to you with all your gear on. This module would also use DSP to recognize emergency vehicle sirens and warn you “Siren at 6 o’clockâ€. I always worry about not hearing a cop or ambulance while riding. Also a Bluetooth module so I can link to riders with other types of com systems.

Electronically adjustable dog bones: Adjust the suspension linkages on the fly. Have settings for sport, drag, etc. This would work with the new electronically adjusted suspension. Add position sensors to the suspension and the bike can adjust sag each time you ride! Also the suspension can learn as you ride and adjust settings to the rider.

LED Clothes: Line jackets, pants, and boots with LEDs so they make you more visable at night. Hopefully it would be done more tastefully than making you look like a christmas tree!
Electric Horseman (1979) - Stealing the horse (HQ) - YouTube[/url]

Video mirrors: They can be tight to the bike and aerodynamic because they don’t need to get out past the rider. You could also alter the view angle at the touch of a button.

Night vision Visor: Ok this is out there but hey, why not?

Adjustable engine configuration: Why couldn’t you drop 2 cylinders to save fuel on those long trips? Just press the economy mode and you’re a scooter! Hey cars do it and when you’re touring 180 miles a tank gets to be a pain.

Quick Change Oil filters: Why not make it so you can change the oil without removing the fairings?

Self-canceling Turn Signals: Come on guys isn’t it about time?

No adjust chains: Why not put the drive sprocket co-axial with the swingarm pivot so that the distance between sprockets is constant as the wheel moves up and down? Then the only adjustment would be for chain stretch. Or better yet, come up with some super duper Kevlar belt that will last forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those are cool and some may be a little stupid.

Dual Stage Horn: Instead of using that NOS bottle for speed use it to drive your 3 horn trumpet.

Audion Center: already available in the form of a Sena SMH10 and an I-Phone. Load the XM app on your phone and your ready to go.

Auto Shifter: Buy a honda. They already have it on the VFR1200.

Quick Change oil Filter: This one really needs addressing.

Self Cancelling blinker: how about just a simple 15 second timer on them. Blink for 15 seconds and then cut off automatically.

I like the smart helmet I would never have to look down for speed or rpm it would keep you eyes on the road more. You could also have weather tied into so you now if it changes on you when your on a long trip instead of riding into without knowing.

Self cancelling blinkers are standard on lots of bikes, it's beyond me why this wouldn't be a given when designing a bike. They normally are a combination timer/tilt sensor and work really well. The module would probably cost all of $2.00 to produce and install on a bike at the design stage. Maybe this would be a good add-on module....

I like most of those ideas, some sound handy and some sound like electronic toys for your bike :laugh: But I still prefer my bikes lighter, reasonably priced, and simple enough to be reliable and easier and cheaper to work on/repair.
I guess I'm just old school :beerchug:
BTW I had self-canceling turn signals on my 1983 Seca 650 turbo.......man did I get spoiled. Took forever to adjust back to manual signals, always left one or the other blinker on :banghead:

The horn idea is brilliant. :bowdown:

The oil filter idea is overdue, but I only change the filter every 3rd time I dump oil, so the fairing comes off to do an inspection anyway.

The "Video Mirrors" are prob my favorite on the list (though not as practical as self canceling turn signals).

I would like to have a headlight adjustment on the 'Busa (like what's on a Gold Wing). Adjusting for when my girlfriend is/isn't riding is sort of a pain.

Back