Cool 2005 hayabusa feature

Lucky34

Registered
As you all know, one of the EXTREME/RADICAL changes they made to the 05's was shutting the headlight off when starting up to reduce battery strain (the other being the clear lenses).
Hehe... crazy suzuki... making these crazy changes... as if the busa hadn't been changed enough from 99
laugh.gif

Anyways... I found a cool thing that you can do with the headlight shutting off feature... In the busa, the only way to get the starter going is when you're holding in the clutch. BUT, if you are NOT holding it in, you can push the ignition button and nothing happens (except for the light turning off in the 05's). Since it's not trying to "start" the bike, you can use it as a kind of "pass" button. I've found that it's a lot more effective than the highbeam flasher thing, and I don't think it does any damage to the bike (unless you're holding in the clutch and the bike tries to start even though it's already moving... kinda like in a car when you turn the key and the car is on).

Anyways... just a random fact about the 05's... when you're riding the bike, and you see a cage about to pull in front of you, with your left thumb you can honk, and with your right you can turn your lights on and off, which attracts a lot of attention.
(This is especially fun to do when sitting at a light next to another bike at night, and you go "hey, can you do THIS") hehe
tounge.gif

rock.gif
uhhh! Entirely too much time on your hands dude. Doesn't take much to get you excited huh?
laugh.gif

They already have a headlight flashing/pass switch on the left grip. Plus hazard lights on the right grip.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101931557 -->

I'll defend you ... that is a cool feature busaman86 ... shutting the light completely off versus flashing the high beams is an attention getter ...
smile.gif
we're just jealous 'cause we can't do that ... ha ha ha ha !!

rock.gif
And I get hassled for coming up with weird shid... Not a bad Idea man...

I don't think I could do it. Too many ingrained issues over grinding the starter in blue '75 Pinto station wagon while it's already running for me to change my ways this late in the game. Sounds good though

"Is it running"
[start..] GGZJJZJJZJZJZZJZZJJJZK!!!
"oops! Yeah already running!"
"Darn, these Pintos are SO fluidly quiet!"
pinto: cough, BANG! bakfire, sputter

As you all know, one of the EXTREME/RADICAL changes they made to the 05's was shutting the headlight off when starting up to reduce battery strain (the other being the clear lenses).
Hehe... crazy suzuki... making these crazy changes... as if the busa hadn't been changed enough from 99  
laugh.gif

Anyways... I found a cool thing that you can do with the headlight shutting off feature... In the busa, the only way to get the starter going is when you're holding in the clutch. BUT, if you are NOT holding it in, you can push the ignition button and nothing happens (except for the light turning off in the 05's). Since it's not trying to "start" the bike, you can use it as a kind of "pass" button. I've found that it's a lot more effective than the highbeam flasher thing, and I don't think it does any damage to the bike (unless you're holding in the clutch and the bike tries to start even though it's already moving... kinda like in a car when you turn the key and the car is on).

Anyways... just a random fact about the 05's... when you're riding the bike, and you see a cage about to pull in front of you, with your left thumb you can honk, and with your right you can turn your lights on and off, which attracts a lot of attention.
(This is especially fun to do when sitting at a light next to another bike at night, and you go "hey, can you do THIS") hehe  
tounge.gif
Unfortunately Busaman every Kawasaki since at least the early 80's can do that. I know...I've owned most of them....including my last bike, a 1986 Ninja 1000R. Suzuki kinda "borrowed" the idea I think. I'm actually kinda glad my 04 doesn't do that....there's a special relay for that....and when it goes out if I remember right bye bye headlight.....just one more thing to complicate an already complicated machine....
crazy.gif
I start my bike up right after I turn the ignition switch on...I doubt most bikes sit for more than a sec or two before the pilot starts it up. So the headlight drain would be nil I think....

Don't mind me tho I just hate having more and more stuff tacked on to my machinery. I like it simple and dependable.
wink.gif

Hmmm...now on the '05 Busa, when you turn on the ignition does the headlight stay off until the bike is started? If so that's really lame.
On my Hondas the headlight turns on with the key and only when the starter button is pressed does the headlight turn off. I was surprised my Busa didn't do that.

Hmmm...now on the '05 Busa, when you turn on the ignition does the headlight stay off until the bike is started?  If so that's really lame.
On my Hondas the headlight turns on with the key and only when the starter button is pressed does the headlight turn off.  I was surprised my Busa didn't do that.
Yep...just like the Kawasaki's...the headlights stay off until the motor actually starts...the current then tells the headlight relay the motors running, so the headlight comes on.
Its a good idea in theory I guess...I just don't think its necessary..the more things you stick on a bike....the more things to go wrong
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
If I wanted to travel in a rolling techno box I'd drive everywhere....lol
But then I hated all the bodywork and panels I had to take off my last few bikes too...man was my 1000R a pain to service!!! I'm soooo glad its gone
beerchug.gif

Hmmm...now on the '05 Busa, when you turn on the ignition does the headlight stay off until the bike is started?  If so that's really lame.
On my Hondas the headlight turns on with the key and only when the starter button is pressed does the headlight turn off.  I was surprised my Busa didn't do that.
Yep...just like the Kawasaki's...the headlights stay off until the motor actually starts...the current then tells the headlight relay the motors running, so the headlight comes on.
Its a good idea in theory I guess...I just don't think its necessary..the more things you stick on a bike....the more things to go wrong
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
But then I hated all the bodywork and panels I had to take off my last few bikes too...man was my 1000R a pain to service!!! I'm soooo glad its gone  
beerchug.gif
Umm... you're wrong
tounge.gif

The headlight turns on as soon as you turn the ignition (whether the bike is on or not).
However, as soon as you press the ignition button, the light turns off (but if you're holding in the clutch, then the starter starts goin).
I don't know how it works on the kawasaki's, but from what you're saying I guess it's a different system.

tounge.gif

wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
Umm... you're wrong
tounge.gif

The headlight turns on as soon as you turn the ignition (whether the bike is on or not).
However, as soon as you press the ignition button, the light turns off (but if you're holding in the clutch, then the starter starts goin).
I don't know how it works on the kawasaki's, but from what you're saying I guess it's a different system.
Don't trust this old mind...honestly I don't actually remember anymore...I never really paid much attention....I'm thinking it would make more sense for the headlight not to come on at all till the bike was running...that would cut down the most on battery drain. But someone said the Hondas have the light on till you hit the starter..then they shut off till the bike starts up. And it sounds like the 05 Busa's are the same way. I do think that the Kawi's kept the light off till the bike started...remember reading that in my manual and thinking "great! another electronic relay to fail"...lol. If I had any Kawi's left in the garage I'd go check just so we'd know. But the Suzuki fairy came and replaced them with a couple big-bore Suzuki's instead......
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

When someone flashes their lights at me , I'm thinking they're telling me " go ahead"
I only flash when passing. If I see someone starting to pull out in front of me, I hold the high beam with the finger and blast the air horn with the thumb. They then think that a toy train is about to hit them and sometimes will see me.

Kev
biggrin.gif

I don't think I could do it.  Too many ingrained issues over grinding the starter in blue '75 Pinto station wagon while it's already running for me to change my ways this late in the game.  Sounds good though

"Is it running"
[start..]  GGZJJZJJZJZJZZJZZJJJZK!!!
pinto:  cough, BANG!  bakfire, sputter
Is that how you spell it?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, the Kawi s would leave their lights off until started.

A simple relay will turn off the headlight when cranking.

Does it matter?

Probably not much
tounge.gif

Dont flash the high beam, you are rigt, that should be a signal to go ahead, just put it on and leave it until the danger has passed
cool.gif

I don't think I could do it. Too many ingrained issues over grinding the starter in blue '75 Pinto station wagon while it's already running for me to change my ways this late in the game. Sounds good though

"Is it running"
[start..] GGZJJZJJZJZJZZJZZJJJZK!!!
pinto: cough, BANG! bakfire, sputter
Lol...
laugh.gif

Back