Converting from a crusier to a Hayabusa

Grimghast

Registered
Hello.

New member and first year rider here from sunny Tampa Florida. I have been riding for close to a year now, daily rider, rain or shine, and have finally decided its time to do the big switch.

After careful consideration and advice from fellow riders I have settled on a long time dream of getting a hayabusa.

I have just over 5000 miles ridden on my first bike, an 86 Honda magna v65 1100cc (they said I was crazy) and have decided I want to try the other side of the fence. I have never had an accident, some close calls, locked the brakes once, had folks try to side swipe me, and a one scary left turn in the middle of the night from a blind country road minivan cut me off, but managed to not lay it down or go flying yet.

My question would be how much difficult will the transition be in learning the difference between these two bikes. I imagine it’s night and day in the way they ride, handle, accelerate and stop.

So how much of a learning curb am I facing here guys?

Quite a bit actually, the hayabusa is a deceptively fast bike. Speed will not be as noticeable on the busa as your magna. But, it all depends on how much you twist the wrist, she can be docile and easy going, but she can also go from "this is not bad to O holy hell" in split second. Take your time to get to know the bike and you should be fine, the biggest difference between the busa and all other bikes is torque. You will see what I mean after get one. In fact, after getting comfortable with the busa you will not be happy riding other bikes as it just will not feel the same. Welcome to the oRg! :welcome:

Yea the throttle is my primary area that I am going to be VERY delicate with till I get used to it, as with the 600 pound monster I have been riding you can really twist it, and mind you it will haul ass, but I know for a fact it has nothing on the Busa.

Looking forward to the enhanced maneuverability as well as while I love my magna, she turns like a fat lady square dances and at times can tend to accelerate like William Shatner talks = )

I would not suggest going from a magna to a Hayabusa, certainly if you only 5000 miles of experience! I would suggest riding a sportbike first at a dealer on a test ride.

BB

i just got mine this year and its my first bike and i put about 6000 miles on it.i only took a two week course on a 250 last year.it can be done.i have a thread in the newbie section about the busa as a first bike.but i can tell you right now its not for everyone.its insanely fast.you need patience and self control to stay within your skill level

The hayabusa isn't a good choice for you. Get past the two year mark first. The 2nd year of riding is usually the most deadly for riders. I suggest a naked like a FZ800 or 1000

I'd say go for it.
I got back into biking after 33 years.

Had a problem with the weight at first but got advice from some members on here and was ok after about 10mins practice.
The problem was I felt I would drop it when turning left or right into a side street but with advice found out the bike is very stable a slow speeds.
The bike can be as docile as you want it to be.

Welcome to the org.:thumbsup:

Don't listen to people saying that its a terrible bike for you. If that's what you want, go for it! Welcome to America and BE FREE! As everyone said, night and day. Just don't jump on her and try to pull the front wheel up whilst hanging on waving a cowboy hat and slapping the ass end cause she will buck you off in a hurry. Remember that she is more powerful than you and be gentle with her. You'll love her. Also, don't go up to 98 and decide that you want to open her up in traffic in Ft Walton. You'll die. :welcome: to the org and as always

:worthless:

i just converted from a warrior to a busa, but i've been riding nearly 50 years. my buds say i am too old for a busa. i tell them to shove it.

Only thing that'll take a while to get used to is slow steering. Sportbikes and cruisers are two totally different worlds which you'll figure out real fast trying to turn it around in your driveway or making a slow u-turn. You'll be just fine with the power. The Busa is a pooch when you want it to be..

Go For It..You will find that the seat height is probably a little higher on the busa than on your Honda which means you'll have a higher center of gravity. Depending on your height and the length of your legs it may be a little different. Givin' the weight of the hayabusa, if you're short (I'm 5'-7") and you're at a stand still or traveling very slow, you have to pay attention to keep an upright center of gravity. I had a Tobin seat made which makes all the difference in the world. I see a lot of people talking about the speed thing but that's all in the wrist. I believe what scares alot of people is the Weight of the motorcycle and all the things that go along with it. Please don't get me wrong, it's a Superb Motorcycle! :thumbsup:

Greetings and Welcome!

With 5000 miles as a daily rider, you've got experience. Maybe not quite a vet, but you've got your feet wet. If you feel you're ready, go for it. As with most new things, you'll never know for sure until you try it. :)

That said, the Hayabusa is very different in many ways, but very much the same in one critical way: It does what you tell it to do.

If you ride it with maturity and responsibility and respect, you'll be fine.
If you ride it wrecklessly and without regard for your safety and the safety of others, you run a great risk writing an unhappy ending to your story.

Good throttle control, solid braking skills, wise decision making and, most importantly, riding to your own honest skill level (not someone else's and not to your "ego") with respect to the given environment will see you to years of enjoyment aboard whatever bike you choose. ESPECIALLY if it's a Hayabusa! :)

Best of luck!

Just a heads up. Busa's have little room for error when the poop hits the fan. Good luck

Go for it! For all you young riders who don't know his bike The Honda V65 was one of the BADDEST BIKES OF IT'S TIME! Youtube Pee-Wee Gleason riding a Honda V65 Magna prime time TV in 86!

i had an instructor tell me he would not sell a hayabusa to anyone with less than five years experience.ha im sorry but i am so glad i started on this bike.but everyone is different.but. i think you should be fine just take it easy till you get the hang of it

Back