Converting from a crusier to a Hayabusa

Go for it! For all you young riders who don't know his bike The Honda V65 was one of the BADDEST BIKES OF IT'S TIME! Youtube Pee-Wee Gleason riding a Honda V65 Magna prime time TV in 86!

I remember the commercial on TV vividly! It WAS the baddest bike out there.

I would say that your power...and center of gravity is going surprise you. It sneaks up on you. It handles different in almost all aspects, but don't overlook the braking. Welcome!!

Thanks for all the responses guys, a friendly informative bunch around here I can tell. It's refreshing to know that most of the learning curbs areas you guys pointed out are more or less the areas I was anticipating. As far as weight goes the magna has almost 30 pounds wet than the busa so not real worried there, and I believe the seat height is also an inch or so taller than the busa, which at 5'9'' I get both feet down just fine on the magna.

And yea the magna used to be in the Guinness world book of records for fastest quarter mile in its day, and was described in one magazine review as having "Eyeball flattening acceleration" which I can attest is true =)

I know it’s going to be a transition and that busa's are very powerful machines but I do my best ride very defensively and will exercise as much throttle control as possible until I have some good saddle time on her. One thing I hear over and over is that you will be surprised at how fast you end up going as it is such a smooth ride it’s easy to get to the "sorry officer" speeds without noticing it which I will be wary of, but am looking forward to seeing what it feels like, within reason.

Anyone is spoke with about starting on the magna told me a was going to be a stain within 3 months as my only previous experience was the 2 days at the MSF on a little 250 rebel, and literally everyone I knew or spoke to online said I was a dead man to the point where it psyched me out so bad that I had the magna in my garage for a week before I got my nerve back up to ride her. I took it very easy, spent time on side roads and parking lots for a spell till I got used to such a big bike but before long I was out on the streets, highways and interstates and thrilled that I had bought her. I understand why folks advise against getting such a beastly bike as a busa or other big dogs that are out there but honestly the nay Sayers did me more harm than good by scarring the hell out of me to the pointe I was afraid of my bike.

Another area I was concerned with was the riding position change, I have heard busa's are very comfortable and the new position shouldn't be all that much to adjust to. I had considered picking up a cbr1000rr/ gsxr1000/ or R-1 to get used to sports riding hell maybe even 600's just to get used to the lay outs and ergos of spots bikes, and though I am not opposed to it, still would rather grab a busa and get started.

Do any of you hit the tracks with your bikes? I have yet to have that experience and am looking forward to a few track days here and there to really safely feel the speed of this monster.

A lot of the mid 80s bike were ahead of there time and a concept that i still wish was around today. I still have a maxim x that i love ridding its a great around town bike and one of the best starter bikes out there because its so easy to ride. Its funny to ride with guys that have big cruisers as they think the little 700 is a push over. I think you would find the riding position on a 1000 r or gsxr isn't near as comfortable and often gets you cramped up on long days.

I'm all for a new busa rider! Just remember to look at the speed gauge! LOL! Went for 86 GIxxer 1100 to a ZX1200A to my busa and out of those beast she seems to lull me to sleep on noticing how fast I'm going! LOL! it's just to easy! I have to agree once you saddle a busa and put in miles it's seems there is no going back! Be safe and have fun!!!

Yeah, I read the first few posts and thought to myself the V65 is no typical cruiser. A couple of guys knew the truth, though. I got smoked by a magna on one of my GS1100's back in the day until the first corner. They were wickedly fast with just a pipe and a tune and easier to launch than a standard. Nevertheless, a busa is a big step up so a little caution is in order until you are used to it. The nice thing is the busa basically does everything better, so no real downside. Also, there may not be another bike with so many options available to personalize it to your tastes. Welcome!

I have just over 5000 miles ridden on my first bike, an 86 Honda magna v65 1100cc

The V65 is arguably the fastest production bike of it's time. You started out on a rocket, so it may not be too bad switching to another rocket.

My question is... do you have self control? People without self-control get into trouble on the Hayabusa.

The other consideration is insurance. You should get a quote before you decide. Depending on your age and record, you may be surprised at the difference between your old Honda and a new(er) Hayabusa. My insurance on the Hayabusa went up by a factor of 3 compared to every other bike I've insured. I hear of some people paying $1000 to $2000 per year for the privilege of riding the king. I could never justify paying that much for insurance on a toy.

I am quite a cautious rider, if anything it’s made me a better cage driver as well. Hell I get stressed out when I passenger with a poor driver now as I know there are times they follow so close to other cages that if I had been on my bike and stopped as fast as they did I would be pulling a superman heh.

As far as speed the magna has some tendencies towards the same "Didn't know I was going so fast" deal but I found by taking the windshield off the wind factor went up allot so you would feel and hear it when you were getting up to speeding territory.

I am sure the insurance will be a bit much, but I’m 32 have a good record and a decent job so I don't mind paying more for my dream bike, plus I promise I will get every penny’s worth in mileage and fun fact as I’m a daily rider so no worries there, far insurance companies go though, can anyone recommend a good one have geico at the moment and there ok?

I always recommend State Farm simply because they insure based on the cc of the bike, not the type.

As GMBusa said, the Busa is less forgiving than most bikes. There is much more power and response behind the Busa's throttle than you'll find on any other bike. Sneeze sitting on a Sportster and your feet will hold the bike between your legs. Sneeze and twist on a Busa and it will be waiting for you two blocks away. Therefore accidental or panic twists of the throttle are totally unforgiving on the Busa. I transitioned from big HD dressers for years to a Busa about 14 months ago. It took me about 6 months of daily driving to feel like I have total control of the Busa or as much control as I can. Just be smart and always aware of the power she has. I'll never go back to anything else, best bike I've ever owned. As a rider you become part of the Busa, and the speed and handling are second to none.

Go for it but be smart about riding it as others have mentioned. It's a tamed bike and manageable. When your ready to test its capabilities then I suggest you hang on tight.

bikes are bikes are bikes. each have there own flavor. learn n grow. dont hop on it and treat it like a cruser. get a feel and learn as you go. dont take it to the track the 1st day you get it. I think it should be a 1st bike for everyone. every other bike should take a knee and bow to the king :)

Man I say go for it! One of my good friends started off with a 2005 Busa and he liked it so much 6 months later he bought a second one for the track, and then slapped a turbo on it. As long as you're smart you will be okay..... If I had to do it again I would have started off with a 1000 or Busa instead of my 600.

I remember the first time I opened my busa up. It scared the pee out of me :laugh: I have had some powerful cars and even a CBR 1000 but the busa snuck up on me so quick it was unreal. I can also remember after catching up with my heart and settling down a little I could not wait to do it again. It was the most fun I had on a bike. Just make sure you are on a LONG straight road when you open it up. Take your time and get use to it and you will be fine. Now how about a few pics? I sure miss my bike :banghead:

I had a Magna as well. The standard for speed and acceleration back then is not even in the same ballpark of today's bikes. The Magna, you could twist the throttle and sort of predict the delay and get used to that. The Busa is instantly responsive and stupidly powerful. Let me offer this tip. Short shift for about the first 1500 miles. Keep the RPMs low and twist the throttle when she is higher than normal for that speed gear. Gradually work your way up the rev band. Above 7K RPM and the Busa turns into Holy Crap mode.

It is the only bike I have owned that you can loose traction at about any speed due to too much throttle. I have ripped it in 3rd gear and the rear end starts spinning. Just be respectful and mature and take your time. The Magna feels fast when you were hauling. The Busa feels the same at 140 than it does at 70. Neither of those speeds feel fast. This bike can cruise at 150 all day and night and you only run out of gas or road. I can do 500 miles in a day and get off and go out dancing afterwords.

Back