Controlling flash rate for LED turn signals

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I have LED front turn signals. The taillights are integrated with the rear turn signals with a simple trailer hitch integrator. The taillights and rear turn signals are LEDs.

Before I switched out the front bulbs for LEDs, the turn signal rate was fast.

Now that I switched out the front turn signals for LEDs, it flashes fast but as hazard lights.

So I bought a flasher box andd thought I could splice it into the stock turn signal relay. I jammed some wires into the back side so I wouldn't have to cut anything, but it didn't work.

Am I correct in believeing that the stock turn signal relay located next to the fuses is what controls the flash rate??

Where can I connect the new flasher box so that it controls all 4 turn signals??

The maintenance manual doesn't provide a clear enough wiring diagram.

The pic below is a of the stock turn signal relay.

Thanks,
Charles

qp.jpg

With the stock flasher unit out, the side stand relay is also out.  Same box.  The bike won't run.  

Will connecting another flasher box in parallel work??

Or will I have to disconnect the 2 wires that goto the stock flasher unit??

is the flasher box anything like a relay?

when you changed out the front to led's you now have no blinkers just hazard lights ?

OK, I mustered up a pair of steel balls and went ahead and cut the wires that lead to the F and G connector  
wow.gif

Whew, those are the ones.

BUT, unless I get a super duper awesome connection to the new flasher box, it doesn't work.  Just works for an instant if at all.

I'm thinking that the flasher box I bought needs more power(watts, amps, something) that the Busa doesn't give.

Has anyone ever put in an aftermarket flasher box??
If so, what brand and from who??

The flasher box I bought is this one, I connected the + wire to B and the - wire to E. That's what autoillumination suggested.
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
ep32.jpg

ep34_bottom_wm.jpg

(jjmetheny @ Feb. 15 2007,18:21) I have only done it by unhooking the original one and plugging in the new one.
What did you get??

The flasher unit is in the same box as the side stand relay. Do you remember who you bought it from??

(thepushercg @ Feb. 15 2007,18:21) when you changed out the front to led's you now have no blinkers just hazard lights ?
Right,

if you press it to the right blinker, all four blink. if you press it to the left blinker, all four blink.

If I put the stock bulbs back in the front only, then it works normally but blinks fast.

do a search on this, there is a guy on here that made a kit back in october i think that was really neat. he put an led board into the back holes of his rear fairings, it was neat but im not finding it, anyway he bought flash controller from a website somewhere.

I used a two prong flasher available at most auto parts stores. Check the link below, it has a picture of the flasher number.

(jjmetheny @ Feb. 15 2007,18:47) I used a two prong flasher available at most auto parts stores. Check the link below, it has a picture of the flasher number.
Thanks!!
biggrin.gif

I wish I hadn't cut the wires since you can just poke out the pins
pissed.gif
No biggie though....

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 15 2007,21:30) OK, I mustered up a pair of steel balls and went ahead and cut the wires that lead to the F and G connector  
wow.gif

Whew, those are the ones.

BUT, unless I get a super duper awesome connection to the new flasher box, it doesn't work.  Just works for an instant if at all.

I'm thinking that the flasher box I bought needs more power(watts, amps, something) that the Busa doesn't give.

Has anyone ever put in an aftermarket flasher box??
If so, what brand and from who??

The flasher box I bought is this one, I connected the + wire to B and the - wire to E.  That's what autoillumination suggested.
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
ep32.jpg

ep34_bottom_wm.jpg
Ok wire it like this:
Term "E" goes to ground
Term"B" goes to the power, probe the 2 factory flasher wires (without flasher installed) with a test light which ever one lights the test light when the switch is turned on will be the one to use.
Term"L" will go to the other factory flasher wire.
When you hook it up like this you still have the 4 way flash going on then check the front bulbs as one or both of them are installed 180 degres out.
Good luck!

Just tried the 552 flasher from autozone.

Doesn't work.

Unless I disconnect the front LEDs and reconnect the stock bulbs. Then it works perfectly with the rear turn signals and integrated LED brake lights.

I'm thinking I have too many circuits for the flasher boxes because I have the taillights integrated and I'm using rear turn signals.

05BusaLe;

Good points. Both front LEDs light up, 1156, so I think the polarity is correct. I'll double check the front's polarity. I'll try your wiring method also.

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 15 2007,22:37) Just tried the 552 flasher from autozone.

Doesn't work.

Unless I disconnect the front LEDs and reconnect the stock bulbs.  Then it works perfectly with the rear turn signals and integrated LED brake lights.

I'm thinking I have too many circuits for the flasher boxes because I have the taillights integrated and I'm using rear turn signals.

05BusaLe;

Good points.  Both front LEDs light up, 1156, so I think the polarity is correct.  I'll double check the front's polarity.  I'll try your wiring method also.
Stupid me I forgot the stock bulbs are single filiment bulbs they cant be out 180 deg! The wiring should fix you up, the electronic flasher does'nt see a load like the original one did.

Polarity on 1165 front LEDs didn't matter
wink.gif

The 552 flasher from autozone worked when the stock filament bulbs were in the front turn signals. However, they didn't work with front LEDs.
sad.gif

I also tried a heavier duty one, up to 10 bulbs. No good when the front LEDs are in, works when the front stock bulbs are in.

I think its the number of circuits.
The rear turn signals LED, the taillights integrated LED, and the front turn signals LED.
However when filament bulbs are in the front, its not too many circuits...

I don't know
mad.gif

But I'll try 05BusaLe's wiring method next.... cross your fingers
bowdown.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 15 2007,19:37) Just tried the 552 flasher from autozone.

Doesn't work.

Unless I disconnect the front LEDs and reconnect the stock bulbs.  Then it works perfectly with the rear turn signals and integrated LED brake lights.

05BusaLe;

Good points.  Both front LEDs light up, 1156, so I think the polarity is correct.  I'll double check the front's polarity.  I'll try your wiring method also.
LED's require very low voltage to work 1.3v-3.6v.
(3.6 v. would be a high intensity LED)

With  2 stock signals(12v) up front and 2 LED's at rear current pull is 12v and Thermal relay will work.

Once you install another set of LED's the total voltage pull on relay is lower than 9v. And relay will not function.
1.3 x 4 =@ 5.2v total

What needs to be done is you must install 2 resistor in parallel to two front LED's (1LEFT&1RIGHT) to pull more current,allowing relay to function.Try using thermal relay 262

RadioShack
10 ohm 10W 5% Wirewound Resistor pk/2
$1.69
Catalog #: 271-132

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

(BLACK051K @ Feb. 15 2007,20:21)
(Charlesbusa @ Feb. 15 2007,19:37) Just tried the 552 flasher from autozone.

Doesn't work.

05BusaLe;

LED's require very low voltage to work 1.3v-3.6v.
(3.6 v. would be a high intensity LED)

With  2 stock signals(12v) up front and 2 LED's at rear current pull is 12v and Thermal relay will work.

Once you install another set of LED's the total voltage pull on relay is lower than 9v. And relay will not function.
1.3 x 4 =@ 5.2v total

What needs to be done is you must install 2 resistor in parallel to two front LED's (1LEFT&1RIGHT) to pull more current,allowing relay to function.

RadioShack
10 ohm 10W 5% Wirewound Resistor pk/2
$1.69
Catalog #: 271-132
That is the conclusion I have also come to  
sad.gif

The whole point was to do this with no resistors...  oh well.

05BusaLe,
You had the correct wiring for the three prong flasher box, it works with stock bulbs in front  
beerchug.gif

unfortunatley, it doesn't work with front LEDs totalling 6 LEDs...  

I guess I'll have to go with resistors in front....  
pissed.gif

Try thermal relay #262 first.

If problem still exist resistors is the way to go....

(BLACK051K @ Feb. 16 2007,00:01) Try thermal relay #262 first.

If problem still exist resistors is the way to go....

The problem lies in the 4 way flasher circuit that is not shown here or in the 1999 service manual I have a copy of. There must be something very different between the 2. I will look around for a diagram, if I cant find one then I will just dig in to my bikes wiring as I have to slow down my flash rate as well!

I'm running led front signals and a led rear integrated taillight/turn signals with no resistors only that flasher and they flash at a normal rate. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Back