Continental Road Attacks

Guess I will just stay with Pilot Roads ,these Road Attacks must not be worth talking about.................

PJoe -
I've never heard of them...but since I may be in the market for new tires....I'll start looking out.

Well they are damn good looking tires Continental makes em you can look at them at the site, Road Attacks and Sport Attacks I just dont know anyone trying them on a Busa..

I have RoadAttacks on my Busa and my son put them on his R6. We both like them a lot but it is important to run 42 PSI in them - they handle best and ride nicely that way. Wear seems very good.

The SportAttack is the same tire in a softer compound for even more agressive handling characteristics.

Ed

I have a rear that I have only 200 miles on. The shop I bought it from charged me $127 mounted. He told me if I don't get as much out of it as the stock (8200 miles) he'll sell me my tire of choice for the same $127 mounted again. I figure the guy is trusting me to be honest about the expectations so I don't feel there much potential to get screwed. I do like how it handles so far. He said he is just trying to get the name out there and if it doesn't say Pirelli or Michellin on it people assume it's junk. We'll see.

Sounds good ,I may try them next time ,I went with pilot roads again ,but after reading about these guys getting so many nails in tires,I read where Avon has road hazard on thier tires wonder how much that cost extra and if you had to take it to the shop to get it covered....I do my own tire work now..so it probably would not be warranty that way.

Thanks Ron, very interesting just wonder when the mileage comes in on the tires how they do, they really bragged on em....

Here's the text from the site referenced above:

Continental Road Attack's Tested
Continental motorcycle tiresSo, when I was offered a set of Continentals Road Attack sport-touring motorcycle tires, in order that we here at Canyon Chasers could test them, who was I to say no? Despite the deal, I must admit a level of trepidation over testing Continental motorcycle tires. In the past, my only context with Continental tires had to do with London motorcycle messengers choosing them because they wear like iron. However, I was given reassurance such as "they are one of the top selling tires in Europe" and "They are rumored to grip like Pilot Powers and last like Pilot Roads". Both statements worked to calm my anxieties. Apparently, if US motorcycle tires don't have the words Dunlop or Michelin on the sidewall, they don't sell very well (whereas in Europe "Dun-flops" are considered a second rate tire.)

I was given a quick briefing about the construction of these German made tires. They use a similar construction as Metzelers, but instead of just coiled steel belts wrapping the carcas, these tires use braided belts which supposedly prevent the tire from deforming during cornering and acceleration. This results in the rear tire providing a larger footprint than traditional tires, thereby giving more grip. Also, less deformation, means the tire builds up less heat, and a softer/grippier rubber compound can be used.

I was advised, however, that the tires should be run at higher air-pressures than what we have become accustomed to. I was advised to run 41-42 in the rear and 35-36 in the front. Bully, because that is the manufacturers recomended pressure anyway. The Continental tire website has a bit more information, but mostly lacks in substance, which may be why the tires are stuggling to get a hold in the US.

The tires have a few cool features about them, besides just the really cool tread pattern. All the sidewall writing is up-side down from traditional tires, and there is a cool, wavy checkered flag pattern that wraps the sidewall.

But since we've gotten a set to test, we'll give periodic updated and give our impression of these tires, not just after a day of riding when the tires are new, but we'll run-them-to-the-nubs to see how long they last and how well they perform.

After the first 1000 miles of riding, I'm quite at ease about the tires performance. They truely do grip and handle extraordinarily well. They seem to have a different tire profile than what I'm used too. The tire tips in really quick, but then the more you lean, the slower they tip in. This was weird at first, but already, I've grown to really like the way the tires turn. A huge improvement from the lethargic front Pilot Road.

Additionally, they are very communicative tires. Which may be a love or hate characteristic depending on the rider. Where the Pilot Roads are almost numb by comparison, the Roat Attacks communicate every weird road surface to the rider. I feel like I know exactly what's going on. The Pilot Roads are kind of an "ignorance is bliss" kind of tire where nothing is felt until the tire starts to slide.

So far, the tires grip heroically! Even on saturated, wet roads and ridden hard the tires did not slip even a smidge. Better than the Pilot Roads that have skated around corners on roads with less moisture.

The only thing left to question is how long the tires will last. And these bad boys will get a test. Tomorrow we leave for Laguna Seca, MotoGP races where we will be riding the motorcycles across the Nevada desert via highway 50. We'll get to see exactly how the tire wears.

Check back for more information on this tire.

Hope this helps.

Ed

I've run a set of Road Attacks on my 03 and am just ready to try another set. I got about 3500 miles out of the front running 36 lbs. and really ate the edges up. The next set I will probably run 40 lbs. in the front. The rear has an unbelieveable amount of tread left I could probably get another 2000 miles out of it, but am slideing a little more than I'm really comfortable with. I'm one of those riders that believes that you should change both tires anyway. I've got 31k on the bike and by far the best tires I've run were the Michelin H2's but I only got about 2000 miles out of them. The road Attacks (for me) have got to be hands down the best bang for the buck +/- $200 bucks a set. The down side is that they don't like dirty roads and spin up understandibly easier out of the apex. I like the profile and they have a larger contact patch when your on the edges. These are the first set of tires that I am maintaining about 1/8" chicken strip. Any other tire I've run easily lost the rear chicken strips the first day. So in a nutshell they were good enough for me to get a second set. I have an 03 with a 750 swingarm (57.25" wheelbase) and a few other goodies to make the canyons fun. Trust me most hayabusa owners who get these tires will love em and probably get an easy 5 or 6k out of them.

So are you guys saying that the Continental's will give the most mileage over any other sport tire ? And are they rated for the higher speeds ?

I just ordered a Continental Force .....we'll see if it'll out last the 3,000 mile stock tire and if it grips as well .:;):

The RoadAttack is NOT certified for Hayabusas in Europe. Over there, every tire must be certified for every motorcycle on which they are installed before they can legally used on the highway. Something to do with the Autobahn and the higher speeds they are allowed. Anyway, it is illegal to use the RoadAttack in Europe on a Busa or ZX12R (and, I'd assume, a ZX14R). Supposedly, the SportAttack will be certified.

That said, I don't think any of us will have to be concerned about using RoadAttacks unless you customarily ride at sustained speeds of 180 or higher.

Ed

Thought I'd add that the RoadAttacks did not fail whatever test to which tires are subjected in Europe - they simply never were tested on those bikes.

<!--EDIT|EdC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141841941 -->

I'm going to try the sport attacks in a month.

The main reason, they make a rear 190/55 that is competitively priced. No other tire makes an affordable 190/55.

That will give me a larger footprint on the sides of the tires, right where I want it.

It'll be 3-4 months, but I'll let you guys know how they feel and how long they last.
biggrin.gif

Back