Considering a Busa...

snuffcityrider

Registered
Howdy from Graham TX. Been lurking for a while so I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been wanting a Busa for a few years now and finally found what seems to be a good deal on a 2013 Busa LE. I'd be trading in my 09 FZ1 that I just paid off and got it running really nice ( PC IV and other goodies). Seems like I'm always building a nice bike for someone else, lol.
It seems the yellow Busa is a love it or hate it color and I've only seen it in pictures. Going to the dealer tomorrow and see it in person. I currently have a yellow Gold wing and have owned a Triumph Speed Four in yellow, so the color shouldn't be an issue. Just trying to justify the insurance. The Busa alone will be $100 more than my four bikes together. I've accumulated them over a few years, so I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination... ;-)
Would appreciate any thoughts of someone who's made a similar transition from an FZ or the likes. Not a stranger to fast bikes, just to Hayabusa " fast".
Started riding when I was 14 ( 72 R5 Yamaha 350), then later moved up to a Kawasaki 750 triple, had a thing for 2 strokes. Then I move up to a Kawi 900, first 4 stroke I'd ever owned. Obviously not a Busa, but they were considered fast back in the day.
Thanks for having me, seems like a great forum!

:welcome:

Nothing 2 really consider if you ask me? I say GO 4 It!!! I've owned several street bikes and nothing compares 2 a busa, it's definitely a unique bike that's in a class all of its own. You will never really know if it is or isn't 4 you unless you ride it 4 yourself.

Best case scenario you ride it and fall in love with it like many of us on here have done with our busa's. Worst case you find out its not 4 you and you trade it in with low miles for something else more 2 your liking and @ least have the peace of mind that you rode a Hayabusa.... Win-Win if you ask me :whistle:

I have an 01 and an 09. the busa doesn't seem overly heavy or awkward. runs well ( strong motor, reliable ) and looks amazing compared to most bikes ( zx14 :rofl: ) I say go for it. you will be glad you did

Speaking as another new Busa owner who also had an H2 once upon a time, I highly recommend the Busa. I love my 01 and find it much lighter handling that it's outward appearance would suggest. It holds tight lines in corners very well, just remember when you are launching out of a corner.... that you have way more than enough torque to get yourself into an unpleasant situation if you order up too much power. Kind of like the Kawi triple but on steroids.

Busas are fast but only as fast as you tell them to be. otherwise, they are pretty cuddly bikes that give everything and ask little in terms of maintance. Feed them a regular diet of sticky tires and they make excellent pets.

If you found it comfortable to sit on(since you're a long time rider and already know bikes), then that's pretty much it.
You won't be disappointed with performance or handling.
The aftermarket is huge for it too, countless parts to take the Busa in any direction you want.
Welcome to the org.

Jump in you will not regret it best of luck ride safe :thumbsup: Busa will be any thing you want it to be sport tourer, drag bike, or any thing in between. Extremely flexible and tons of mods available for it.:welcome:

Pictures tomorrow weather permitting. Hard to say this living in a drought stricken area, but I'm hoping for no rain. It was 106 degrees two days ago, its 56 right now. Should do the deal tomorrow.

Check with State Farm on the insurance, they are very hard to beat. Welcome to the oRg and I hope things work out for you. Maybe you can sell the other bikes you want to trade in? Sell them out right if possible.

Just a quick update, didn't get a Busa but wound up with his cousin ( B King) because the insurance was more manageable. About 1/3 to be exact. I'll be picking him up next Saturday. Its got less than 1000 miles, so barely broken in. Going to be a long week!

B-Kings are a lot of fun !
Had mine over seven years.

The huge tank pods and fake exhaust (real exhaust is a smaller ugly car type box) aren't to
everyone's taste but what's hidden below is a hoot to clown about on.

Downsides are: small 16.5 ltr tank, poor for pillions, lack of legroom for tall guys.
Good side is a bigbore man size naked bike with modern running gear, something that's not common.

They are a little down on horsepower compared to the Tupperware Busa but to be honest you won't
notice it unless silly speeds. Mine runs similar times at the strip and pulls real hard up to close to 150.

Seeing as the King with the Gen-2 motor was on sale before the Gen-2 Busa, and it is a fraction longer
and heavier (not that you'd notice) you could say its the Gen-2's older big brother not cousin... LOL

Just a quick update, didn't get a Busa but wound up with his cousin ( B King) because the insurance was more manageable. About 1/3 to be exact. I'll be picking him up next Saturday. Its got less than 1000 miles, so barely broken in. Going to be a long week!

The B-King has the same engine as the gen2 Busa, but is noticeably down on hp.
It's ecu is physically the same as the Busa's, and can be flashed with the Busa's tune.
Also flash the Busa's restrictions off, stp opening rate changed, and B-King gauges must be activated(Ecu Editor).
The B-King doesn't have ram air, but can easily and inexpensively be modded with a decent set up.
The exhaust mid-pipe valve needs to be set to open all the time. This can be done by a sequence of on/off key settings, or simply remove the servo cables. The spring will hold it in it's most open position.
These 3 things really wake up the B-King.
I traded my gen2 for a B-King, and did these as well as a few more things. Made the B-King just as strong as the Busa, and much more fun to ride.

Once you have the suspension set up to suit you, try a 190/55 tyre.
It's a very common mod and suits the bike (if you like corners)

Check any recalls have been done too.
There was an official recall on the rectifier (same as many similar age Suzuki's)
and some early 07 / 08 Kings and Busa's had clutch bolts work loose.

Be carefull with those front brakes!!! They are good but seem to catch a few folk out.
Great radial master and calipers but if your not used to them grabbing a handful has
put a few King owners on their arse! Not a fault but something to be aware of.

Firming up the front end (softer than a Busa as stock) is no bad thing if you like to
turn up the pace.

Have fun.

Tony.J.

image.jpg
image url

Back