considering 41t or 42t sprocket...?

shogun

Registered
i was thinking about getting maybe a 41t or 42t rear vortex sprocket. I am only looking for a little more kick thank my stock gearing is gicing me right now, will i notice a difference all i want is a slight gain in accel and rpms. i dont think i want to do the 43t because i dont want my rpms to considerably jump up and have my bike revving too high when at normal crusing speeds. thanks:bowdown:::beerchug:

i was thinking about getting maybe a 41t or 42t rear vortex sprocket. I am only looking for a little more kick thank my stock gearing is gicing me right now, will i notice a difference all i want is a slight gain in accel and rpms. i dont think i want to do the 43t because i dont want my rpms to considerably jump up and have my bike revving too high when at normal crusing speeds. thanks:bowdown:::beerchug:
I went down one tooth in front, which equals 2 1/2 to 3 up in the rear, and it didn't affect the rpm's badly at all..I still cruise fine on the highway. But it definately gave me more zip :thumbsup: I wouldn't go any more than that though. 1 tooth up in back will hardly be noticeable....don't bother unless you go 2 or better :beerchug:
And get a steel sprocket...Charles will hook you up :thumbsup: You'll kick yourself later if you get an aluminum :banghead:

so youre saying it would be better to get a steal 16t front sprocket and leave the rear one alone? or i could leave the front alone and go 42t steal vortex in the rear?

If you want the best balance do a 16T up front. It will give you the zip you want, but less buzz on the freeway. It's worth 2.5 up on the rear without changing you wheel base noticeably.

16t up front it is. thanks truwrecks. are there any sponsors on here that will have a steal 16t vortex sprocket? and since im changing the front i might as well change the rear and the chain also. so ill stick with the 40t in the back but just swap it for a nice steal vortex.

It's easier to swap the rear sprocket than the front. The larger diameter stock front sprocket is a little easier on the chain too. I went with a 42 rear and I found the increased acceleration did not offset the drop in gas mileage, the reduced cruising range per tank and the increased buzziness on the highway. I went back to stock.
Your priorities may vary....

cheers
ken

Last edited:
It's easier to swap the rear sprocket than the front. The larger diameter stock front sprocket is a little easier on the chain too.

cheers
ken

true but 16 is still safe. 16 is very common on drag bikes. Youll be happy.

Youll be happy.

There you go again... :poke:
What if, like me, he's a died in the wool, card carrying, curmudgeon?
Some of us are quite content being grumpy.
Why the first words I ever spoke were, "hey you kids, get off my lawn".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

kml, so you had the 16t up front but you found ur rpms were way up there and went back to stock. Thats my main concern i dont want my rpms to go up by like 1500grand when im cruising and its just screaming, no good.

kml, so you had the 16t up front but you found ur rpms were way up there and went back to stock. Thats my main concern i dont want my rpms to go up by like 1500grand when im cruising and its just screaming, no good.

I ran 16/42 on one of my other Busa's...which is like going up 4.5 on the rear...fun stuff. I'll see if I can find the website and calculate the rpm difference from stock 17/40 vs. 17/43 :thumbsup:

Stand By

I found the gearing website...

The RPM difference between 17/40 and 17/43 at 75 mph is 4,012 vs. 4,313...41 rear is a waste of time and $$$...42 will help, but 43 is a kick in the butt :beerchug:

Only a 301 rpm difference over stock :thumbsup:

There you go again... :poke:
What if, like me, he's a died in the wool, card carrying, curmudgeon?
Some of us are quite content being grumpy.
Why the first words I ever spoke were, "hey you kids, get off my lawn".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken
:laugh:

I battled with this myself as many for a while and for the amount of money we dump in these things the sprocket was cheap and if I didn't like it I would go back, but I put the 16 up front and it is the best bang for the buck, the RPM difference doesn't amount to much but it really woke up the bike I have a whole list of mod things full exhaust, air box mods, PC3, extended arm, 200 tire, tre, air filter and the list go's but the sprocket was the best bang for the buck, and if I new what I know now I would have done it first, my two cents. good luck,
"O"

ahhhh, my braaaaaaaaaaain. someone posted here that a 16t up front rougher on the chain. Im going to change them both anyway so i dont mind doing the front even though its harder to replace. I found a few really good sprockets on the vortex racing site but they are high quality aluminum, no steal. why is alumin bad when all the racers use them why cant i. I am close to ordering a 43t from the vortex site!:whistle::beerchug:

Back