Connecting Rods for a Turbo bike?

GNBRETT

Registered
Wossner, Oliver or Crower rods? what are u turbo guys running and why? im just not a huge fan of Carillo rods but im sure they would work fine tho. what do u guys recommend? lookn to make approx. 400-450 hp. anyone running billet rods?

Carillo rods have been the gold standard for a long time......I don't think I have really ever heard of problems with them even with some of the ridiculous power some people have made.....

I think all of them are good......but get the H beam style as you never know if/when you will want more HP.....

wossners.jpg

Wossner parts. After looking at the attention to detail in a Wossner turbo piston and the great reviews the top engine builders were experiencing with Wossner parts and even better price in comparison to other manufactures we choose to go with Wossner.

POWERHOUSE uses both Carrillo and Wossner, and can give you the best price on either one. Wossner makes a great H beam, with bigger bolts than Carrillo; ARP L19s. Both will go over 600 hp easily. Many builders use Crower as well, and almost nobody (except a handful or hardcore racers) uses billet aluminum.:laugh:

How do you decide?

All out build Frank, would you personally go Wossner or Carrillo??

Ah - a loaded question. Well, several years ago I was on the race team for the world's quickest Nissan, a 350Z that did low sixes at over 215 mph. A twin turbo, methanol 230 c.i. V-6 that had Carrillo H-beams. At the time, we were putting over 350 rwhp through EACH rod . . . actually, the car made 2200 rear wheel. Partly based on that I personally lean toward Carrillos. That said, I have Wossner rods in my 600 hp Ultra street bike and Carrillos in my 580 hp shootout bike. I guess I haven't really made up my mind . . . what was the question?

so I guess basically it comes down to personal choice since both Carillo and Wossner seem to work just fine. thanx guys

I personally run crower I beams
But will prolly go towards wösner from now on

And I've seen a few broken carillos but might have been from a list of possible issues
One was even bent to like an s
But yes it's more of a builders preference when it comes to choice and sometimes cost is involved too

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.477839,-85.975864

billet rods will strech over time they are considered a disposable item if you pull apart your motor alot not a problem just check for strech and replace when need to. not a good street Item...........

Currently I run Falicon Knife rods and CP custom pistons for my application. If I did it all over again I would go with Carillos.

for sake of calling an aluminium rod a wearable part but getting to the end of the track faster it takes a chunck of money + a good driver to be worth it. I keep looking + reading these threads because I'd like to turn up the boost after addressing the rotating assembly.

Ah - a loaded question. Well, several years ago I was on the race team for the world's quickest Nissan, a 350Z that did low sixes at over 215 mph. A twin turbo, methanol 230 c.i. V-6 that had Carrillo H-beams. At the time, we were putting over 350 rwhp through EACH rod . . . actually, the car made 2200 rear wheel. Partly based on that I personally lean toward Carrillos. That said, I have Wossner rods in my 600 hp Ultra street bike and Carrillos in my 580 hp shootout bike. I guess I haven't really made up my mind . . . what was the question?

So would you go with Gen-II rods/pistons or use Gen-I parts for the larger wrist pins and use a spacer plate to drop compression to what you want?

This will be an LSR bike for longer periods of high RPM/power runs...

So would you go with Gen-II rods/pistons or use Gen-I parts for the larger wrist pins and use a spacer plate to drop compression to what you want?

This will be an LSR bike for longer periods of high RPM/power runs...

Wossner turbo pistons come standard with 0.185" wall wrist pins on the Gen 1 and 0.165" wall wrist pins on the Gen 2. These are heavy duty wrist pins that you would have to pay extra for with most of the other piston manufacturers. On a Gen 2, I would go with the standard Wossner pistons, good H-beam rods, and no spacer. You could opt for the Gen 1 rod and Gen 1 pistons with spacer, but considering how strong the aftermarket products are, it is not necessary.

Back