Connecting both headlights to the high beam toggle. Help?

merczab

Registered
I'm not all that savvy with this stuff, but my friend did it accidentally to his bike, so I know it's possible.
Does anyone know how to connect both the high and low beam to the one switch?

Dont spam up the guys thread. He asked a serious question and so far, no help, unless you like the R6 forum style of posting.

To the OP, yes you can do it. You will need a wiring diagram and some solder. Use the flash to pass and not the high beam switch if you want to just "flash" them. You can also wire your garage door opener to your flash to pass, etc. What year is the bike, I dont know for sure but I believe 04 and older bikes didnt have a FTP button.

I'm not all that savvy with this stuff, but my friend did it accidentally to his bike, so I know it's possible.
Does anyone know how to connect both the high and low beam to the one switch?

I'm assuming you want this so you can turn your low beam off.

I simply installed a separate switch for the low beam in the left upper panel - right above the fuse box, by splicing into the low beam circuit.

OP, so did buy a Gen II? sold you gen I yet?

I bought the Gen II, but still have my Gen I. I swear, I've had more than 5 buyers back out on me.

I'm broke because I was counting on the money from my old bike. hahah.

Things happen though.

I would also have a concern that the high beam switch is not rated for the combined current of low beam and high beam, and as a result, over time may burn the contacts.

I've had my low beam switch for years. There are a few reasons why I installed it: 1) to easily turn off the headlight at a track day; 2) if your battery low by any chance, turning off your headlight helps for the bike to start; 3) when riding on highways with light traffic, I turn off my headlights most of the time - to be 'visible' instead of 'blinding' other drivers, and to be less noticeable by LEO's.

I would also have a concern that the high beam switch is not rated for the combined current of low beam and high beam, and as a result, over time may burn the contacts.

I've had my low beam switch for years. There are a few reasons why I installed it: 1) to easily turn off the headlight at a track day; 2) if your battery low by any chance, turning off your headlight helps for the bike to start; 3) when riding on highways with light traffic, I turn off my headlights most of the time - to be 'visible' instead of 'blinding' other drivers, and to be less noticeable by LEO's.

Those sound like some legit reasons right there.
This may be a wintertime mod when I have the bike tore down.

I had a low beam switch on Luci along with a switch to turn off all the rest of the lights. Running from the po-po at night, just flip 2 switches and yu are invisible

J/K, it makes track day prep so much easier. Just flip 2 switches instead of pulling fuses/disconnecting lights. When I decided to retire her from the rack, I removed the switches.

Very good concern. Also, the low and high beams are on separate 15 amp circuits which would now be joined into a single circuit.

I simply installed a separate switch for the low beam in the left upper panel - right above the fuse box, by splicing into the low beam circuit.

Can you splice from anywhere? Or does it need to start and end at a certain spot?

The hi-lo selector switch signals the headlight relays, so the power drawn by the headlights is not passing through the selector switch, but through the relays. The switch should be fine if you combine the hi-lo beams together. This is likely best done by installing a bridge wire across the relays with a diode inline.

Back