Congress bars military funeral protesters

DAB

Registered
Linky to article

Demonstrators would be barred from disrupting military funerals at national cemeteries under legislation approved by Congress and sent to the White House Wednesday

The measure, passed by voice vote in the House hours after the Senate passed an amended version, specifically targets a Kansas church group that has staged protests at military funerals around the country, claiming that the deaths were a sign of God's anger at U.S. tolerance of homosexuals.

The act "will protect the sanctity of all 122 of our national cemeteries as shrines to their gallant dead," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said prior to the Senate vote.

"It's a sad but necessary measure to protect what should be recognized by all reasonable people as a solemn, private and deeply sacred occasion," he said.

In response to the demonstrations, the Patriot Guard Riders, a motorcyle group including many veterans, has begun appearing at military funerals to pay respects to the fallen service member and protect the family from disruptions.

sad.gif
It's really sad that these 'demonstrators'  feel the need to disrupt the burial of a Military family member in an attempt to get thier point across! What a fuggin' shame that someone actually sat in a meeting somewhere and said "Hey, let's go to every Military funural and protest! Who cares that someones family is deeply hurt and sadened over the Soilers passing"~
mad.gif

Major kudos to the Patriot Guard Riders M/C for standing up to these morons for the families during their time of grief...
super.gif
brave.gif

I'm glad that they are passing this legislation! I'm with GJoker... when i first heard about this protesting at a military members funeral i was OUTRAGED! At least the govt is doing something about it! +1 on the Paitriot Guard Riders... i check their website and see if they have anything going on in my area.... although military rules would keep me from taking part in such a thing i would like to see it!

I'm not even political and protesting at a FUNERAL is one of the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I gues that is why we have to MAKE all these laws... because people too stupid to self govern themselves properly. I don't care if you are against all wars, there is a time and a place for everything and someone else's mourning is NOT it.

What would you say: "HA! See there?! You lost a loved one. There ya go. Too bad for you huh? War sucks! and your dead sibling helped get himself dead by furthering the cause..."

I would not want my shoe back after they surgically remove it from the protesters' crushed face

The patriot guard riders (PGR) is a strong group here in Phoenix, AZ, we try to stay connected and are having a BBQ on saturday to build support....

I was just TDY to Fort Leonard Wood and there was a funeral being held on post for two Soldiers who were killed in Iraq. These (idiot) protestors showed up at the front gate with signs stating that IED's are God's punishment against homosexuality. I guess that is for the Clinton "Don't ask don't tell policy" adopted now. I think it is just sad that these people have the right to do such a thing yet if a few Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, or Airmen (all are at Leonard Wood) were to go to the front gate to discuss this topic we would be wrong for doing so. I'm all for ignoring ignorance but these people are way out of line and should be dealt with for their insensitivity and ignorance...

It's a fuggin funeral, Agree or not with the war have some respect.

The biggest shame is that we actually have to ban it, I can't beoleave someone would demonstrate at a funeral!!!!!!!

Protesting at a funeral is the sickest thing I ever heard.
mad.gif

Regardless of how you feel about war, attacking people mourning over the loss of their loved ones is immoral.

I agree that this has been taken to the extreme.....
Here's the Phelps web page! CAUTION MATERIAL MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME!
If your wondering why they can do the things they do you must first understand that the phelps family is made up of eleven or so attorneys, three of which work for the state of Kansas... Some are estranged from the family but most still live in a compound near Topeka! Most of the family are very educated and have been known to possess high IQ's (fact is sometimes stranger than fiction). Do a search...

If your wondering why they can do the things they do you must first understand that the phelps family is made up of eleven or so attorneys, three of which work for the state of Kansas... Some are estranged from the family but most still live in a compound near Topeka! Most of the family are very educated and have been known to possess high IQ's (fact is sometimes stranger than fiction). Do a search...
Not bashing you brother but for people with Mensa level (genius) IQ's they are about ignorant as all hell. I'm not the most religious individual but I am spiritual in my beliefs. I know I may be off here but what ever happened to "love they neighbor" or "turn the other cheek". Not able to do that if the individual in question lives an alternative lifestyle. Not to mention where do they feel they have the right to protest at dead Soldiers funerals. I'll tell you what, I'm getting ready to deploy and if one of my Soldiers doesn't make it, and they come home in a flag drapped coffin for their funeral. Let me see one of these morons outside the gate of Fort Benning, I will gladly go to see the man and suffer UCMJ action for the priviledge of knocking one of these jacka**es out...

Not bashing you brother but for people with Mensa level (genius) IQ's they are about ignorant as all hell. I'm not the most religious individual but I am spiritual in my beliefs. I know I may be off here but what ever happened to "love they neighbor" or "turn the other cheek". Not able to do that if the individual in question lives an alternative lifestyle. Not to mention where do they feel they have the right to protest at dead Soldiers funerals. I'll tell you what, I'm getting ready to deploy and if one of my Soldiers doesn't make it, and they come home in a flag drapped coffin for their funeral. Let me see one of these morons outside the gate of Fort Benning, I will gladly go to see the man and suffer UCMJ action for the priviledge of knocking one of these jacka**es out...
+1.....
Make no mistake I'm not supporting the actions of this family merely pointing out an observation.

There's not much lower than demonstrating at anyone's funeral and to do it when it's someone in our military that's being laid to rest, that's just the absolutely unforgiveable...
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148659622 -->

Patriot Guard

Patriot Guard Riders Mission Statement

The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security. If you share this respect, please join us.

We don’t care what you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a "hawk" or a "dove". It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn't matter where you’re from or what your income is. You don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect.

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives.

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.

2. Shield the mourning family and friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

Might I recommend that everyone with any interest on this topic to check out this organizations website. These people are a cult not a church. I would educate yourself so that when and if you encounter a group of these freedom hating anti-americans you are ready for their barrage.

These people are off their freaking meds. People get so upset about the KKK agenda. These people want to see the fall of the American Government.

I book marked their web site so I could keep tabs on what funerals THEY are keeping tabs on.

When I looked later at the book mark they have a little icon and the icon is of an upside down american flag.

Good thing for them there are laws that protect them, otherwise I would like to see the entire cult rounded up and dropped into another country.. ohh lets seee. like Iraq maybe

We had a protesters here in Rapid city South Dkota for ARMY personel and was saying that is what you get if i heard about this earlyer i would have gone up there to support the family of there fallen son and many NCO and airmen whould have gone there also. Very disrespectful how do you protest at a funeral that is just wrong.

We had a protesters here in Rapid city South Dkota for ARMY personel and was saying that is what you get if i heard about this earlyer i would have gone up there to support the family of there fallen son and many NCO and airmen whould have gone there also. Very disrespectful how do you protest at a funeral that is just wrong.

Back