concourse what do you like about it?

motochris

The artist formerly known as Chris75181
Registered
Looking at sport touring (other than Busa). Looking for pros and cons from concourse owners and/or other recommended tour bikes.

I don't own one, but I have ridden a friends.

I like the wind protection, with the adjustable windscreen, and love the storage/bags.

Was a little weirded out by the linked brakes. I suppose I would get used to it

What's not to like about the concours?

I had a friend ask me the other day how I liked my concours now the we have had time to bond. My answer was "If it had tits I'd marry it"! :beerchug:

Concours 26.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05058.jpg

After doing quite a bit of research I am planning to purchase a 2013 (or newer) FJR1300 with cruise control. I simply prefer the look of the FJR over the other choices and cruise control is a must have for me on a touring bike.

Nothing wrong with an FJR. I have a friend who owns both (FJR/Concours) He loves his FJR but says if he could only afford one bike it would be the Concours. All the magazine comparisons I've read placed the Concours above the FJR.

I've spent time on my friends FJR and I too prefer the Connie!

Not suggesting what you should buy. Just giving you information to ponder!

Nothing wrong with an FJR. I have a friend who owns both (FJR/Concours) He loves his FJR but says if he could only afford one bike it would be the Concours. All the magazine comparisons I've read placed the Concours above the FJR.

I've spent time on my friends FJR and I too prefer the Connie!

Not suggesting what you should buy. Just giving you information to ponder!

Tuf , What are your impressions of the ABS linked brakes ? I have watched a lot of reviews and the Experts have said that the linked brakes are something to be re-worked by Kawasaki . They had a Sport tourer shoot out for 2013 and a couple of the test riders were saying the brakes while covering them going into and out of the corners were throwing the bike awkwardly and disturbing the balance .

Tuf , What are your impressions of the ABS linked brakes ? I have watched a lot of reviews and the Experts have said that the linked brakes are something to be re-worked by Kawasaki . They had a Sport tourer shoot out for 2013 and a couple of the test riders were saying the brakes while covering them going into and out of the corners were throwing the bike awkwardly and disturbing the balance .

The concours is not designed as a track bike. If standing on the brakes and throwing it in the corners is your priority then avoid linked brakes all together. I prefer non-linked brakes but it seems you cannot buy a tourer these days without it. Braking skill is something rarely found in the general public, linked brakes on a big heavy bike is an asset for most. ABS is also a welcomed feature on a touring bike, especially in the rain.

I have noticed that dragging the rear brake just slightly leaves a little to be desired in the feel department. Not a game changer but I would like to see Kawi improve brake feel. The brakes in general are outstanding. It's the soft touch that seems to be missing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next generation have cruise control and improved brake feel. The ABS works great. It's easy to test, just yard in on the lever until the front begins to loose grip and you'll feel the front chatter.

Traction Control is another goodie for wet weather riding. Just don't expect it to save you if you spin the tire while dragging the pegs. It most likely won't!

Cruise control would be a nice option. Still researching. Any others out there with a concourse?

Just took a 2010 concours on a 1800 miler around lake mich and superior. My first official sport tourer bike. That said it blows away the hayabusa in the comfort dept with the adjustable windshield and riding position. I have gen 1 busa. I did use the zx 14 seat on mine instead of the concours seat. Linked brakes do take some getting use to but I had no problems putting the bike into turns. Shaft drive is a god send as far as wet weather goes, rained pretty much all day on first day of trip. Oil and filter change easier then on busa. Used givi trunk instead of hard side bags. Didn't need the additional storage which was huge. Pretty much a zx 14 with much better wind protection and more comfortable ergos. Have throttle meisters on em. Heated grips worked great, didn't need heated gloves at all. Battery fairly easy to get to compared to FJR.

Cruised at 80 mph with rpm a little below 4k. Still haven't figured out how to set the time on the bike, didn't get owners manual / tools with bike.

Problems: Range seemed to be shorter than what I'm use to, 650 with 5 gal tank. Maybe the way I twisted? :whistle:
90% octane recomended, expensive here and especially in canada.
Low fuel indicator renders rest of lcd display useless.

FJR (2013), saw at show and seemed like a great bike. It's a 5 speed though. It does have electronic speed control which is cool and the heated grips. Don't remember if it has a electronic adj windshield. Better for shorter riders.

I'd say the new FJR is a good sport tourer too but it's no (power) match for concourse. Probably has better range than concourse.

Hope this helps.

I too will have a C14 within the next year or two. I love the way they look..

Just took a 2010 concours on a 1800 miler around lake mich and superior. My first official sport tourer bike. That said it blows away the hayabusa in the comfort dept with the adjustable windshield and riding position. I have gen 1 busa. I did use the zx 14 seat on mine instead of the concours seat. Linked brakes do take some getting use to but I had no problems putting the bike into turns. Shaft drive is a god send as far as wet weather goes, rained pretty much all day on first day of trip. Oil and filter change easier then on busa. Used givi trunk instead of hard side bags. Didn't need the additional storage which was huge. Pretty much a zx 14 with much better wind protection and more comfortable ergos. Have throttle meisters on em. Heated grips worked great, didn't need heated gloves at all. Battery fairly easy to get to compared to FJR.

Cruised at 80 mph with rpm a little below 4k. Still haven't figured out how to set the time on the bike, didn't get owners manual / tools with bike.

Problems: Range seemed to be shorter than what I'm use to, 650 with 5 gal tank. Maybe the way I twisted? :whistle:
90% octane recomended, expensive here and especially in canada.
Low fuel indicator renders rest of lcd display useless.

FJR (2013), saw at show and seemed like a great bike. It's a 5 speed though. It does have electronic speed control which is cool and the heated grips. Don't remember if it has a electronic adj windshield. Better for shorter riders.

I'd say the new FJR is a good sport tourer too but it's no (power) match for concourse. Probably has better range than concourse.

Hope this helps.

Setting the clock:

push and hold both upper and lower buttons for 2 seconds: settings will appear
Use the lower button to align the cursor with the "Clock"
Push upper btton and hold for 2 seconds until the time flashes
Push lower button & hold until hour display flashes
Push upper button to adjust hour
Push lower button & hold until Minutes flash
Push upper button to adjust minutes
Push lower button & hold until both Hour & Minutes flash
Push upper button to stop the flash
DONE!

The new Concours comes with heated grips as standard
The Concours has the ZX14 motor but it is detuned down to 136 HP Still a very strong motor though. Has plenty of power to sand that fat heifer on her big butt!

Thanks for the info on the time setting. Will give it a try. By the way, I just found out from a friend that in 2010, the linked brakes and traction control were optional so you can get some of the 2nd gen concourse stuff instead of all that's in the new ones. You'd have to find a 2010 version.

By the way, there are rostro? allegedly makes a electronic speed control kit that can be fitted on a concourse with some work so you can get an esp to fill in the missing FJR features. May attempt this in the future.

I've got my Dad's 08 in my garage that I have full access to.... just come on over and test ride :)

So, with Ecu Unleashed, can you essentially crank the Concourse up another 50hp or so?

I'm lov'in my 2011 connie! Gripes - for me the windshield is not ideal - At 5'7'' in lowest position wind hits at about chin level (too high and creates a lot of noise). High position is great for me and blocking out weather, but creates suction like no other bike I've ever had. These are typical windsheild gripes and different for everyone... FOB works flawlessly but why? when you still need a key to open the gas tank. Ignition key can be hard to get out. Most Concours riders carry and use a duplicate key to open gas cap and side bags. It's not quite as fast as my B-King. It does have some disconcerting linked brake issues, but I hardly notice it now. No mechanical issues noted except while riding in the twenties this winter the TPMS low battery came on?!?! TMPS still works fine in warm weather but the TPMS sensors are expensive and will need to be replaced soon. Good solid touring bike - I'm very pleased overall.

Rode 1100 miles this weekend (2 days) from Haymarket, Va. to Richmond, Va. to Va. Beach, to the Eastern Shore of Virginia, on to the Blue Ridge mountains and beyond! I'll let some pictures do the talking!

From mid-span Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at sunrise - 17 miles long

600_243081752.jpe

600_243081872.jpe

Mathews Va. Chesapeake Bay Country - tidal creek and marshes

600_243279722.jpe

Blue Ridge Parkway near Floyd, Va

600_243082072.jpe

Near Mountain Lake Hotel - Blacksburg Va. - Go Hokies

600_243082342.jpe

Thanks for the info on the time setting. Will give it a try. By the way, I just found out from a friend that in 2010, the linked brakes and traction control were optional so you can get some of the 2nd gen concourse stuff instead of all that's in the new ones. You'd have to find a 2010 version.

By the way, there are rostro? allegedly makes a electronic speed control kit that can be fitted on a concourse with some work so you can get an esp to fill in the missing FJR features. May attempt this in the future.

The cruise control you are mentioning is the electronic (not vacuum) version of the one in my signature. I have a riding friend that has the same cruise control as I do on his Connie, also another friend that has it on his FJR and both work great. I know it does wonders for my commute on the Busa, so once you got it set up it would be good, just trying to figure out which bike is the hard part.

Our very own "Uncle Steve" has electronic speed control on his 2010 Connie. Steve could give you some advise on aftermarket speed control.

Wish we could have talked about this last weekend. I have happy so far with the beemer 1600. You asked for options, but if you are set on on connie, by all means it should do you well.

Back