Concerned.....Transmission dropping from 6th to 5th consistently

sbarna992

Registered
Hey family. Just joined this site. Please forgive me if this question has been answered. I did not find anything. So...
Here is the gist:

- 2014 Busa
- 6,000 miles
- Take the bike up to 6th. Twist the throttle a little bit.
- Transmission immediately jumps down to 5th.
- Happens every time.
- Dealership says the need to open motor to find out whats going on(?). They said it could be over 2 grand.
- Does what they are saying make sense? Kind of bummed because I have not abused the bike in any way.

thanks once again in advance!

1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th are gears you need to be shifting with authority...

My bike will also go from 6th to 5th if I shift lazy. You have to ensure you are shifting like you mean it.

If it is happening every time no matter how you shift, there is a problem with the gear in the transmission and it will have to be torn down and either re-cut or replaced.

Got it! Thanks for the input. I'll try doing the strong up-shift and see if it sticks. If it does not...well I'm gonna have to make some tough choices. I'm assuming that tearing down (re-cutting/replacing) is expensive. I guess that is the dealership meant when they talked about a tear down.

Also I think I'm going to stop doing a couple of things.

1. Clutchless upshifts from 5th - 6th (Just started trying it out before this snafu).
2. Using engine braking to slow down without blipping from a high speed. I think I really put stress on the tranny from the wheels dictating.

thanks again! You guys are the bomb.

Got it! Thanks for the input. I'll try doing the strong up-shift and see if it sticks. If it does not...well I'm gonna have to make some tough choices. I'm assuming that tearing down (re-cutting/replacing) is expensive. I guess that is the dealership meant when they talked about a tear down.

Also I think I'm going to stop doing a couple of things.

1. Clutchless upshifts from 5th - 6th (Just started trying it out before this snafu).
2. Using engine braking to slow down without blipping from a high speed. I think I really put stress on the tranny from the wheels dictating.

thanks again! You guys are the bomb.

I have a speed shifter and even sometimes it drops out of 6th if I get lazy...

I uses the clutch even with the speed shifter from 1st to second and 5th to 6th if I'm just sidling along...If I get the revs up a bit more, the speed shifter is precise and I never get shift drops.

Matching revs with down shifting is important...it is a skill to be learned.

The good thing, the Hayabusa transmission is not too bad to work on, the big labor costs comes from taking the fairings off and all the parts to remove the engine...once the engine is out, the job isn't too bad.

Back