Computers

Been in this stuff since late 1986.

I would suggest the following min:

min AMD 3000+ or better
min of 512 megs of ram
min 80 gig hard drive but would say get 160gig or 250gig
video card min 128bit 128megs
either seperate DVD/Player Recorder and CD Recorder or a combo.(prob with a combo is if one part goes it is all useless)
Make sure you got min 4 USB Slots as well as 2 FireWire Slots
SATA ability of 2 inputs
17" monitor or LCD display.
ALSO GET AN EXTENDED WARRENTY!!!

I run a FX-52 2.2gig AMD Processor
2 gigs or ram
4 250 gig hard drives
scsi dvd and cd recorders
4 sata slots external and 2 internal
8 USB(with 4 external USB adapters, giving me 24 USB slots) 4 fire wire
21 viewsonic monitor
128bit 256 meg graphics card
Dual channel scsi card
SB top of the line Sound Card
2 250 meg USB hard drives

But all this I use my 3.06g lap top LOL!!!

Also waiting till 500gig 7200rpm hard drives come out to replace all hard drives in main system. giving me 1.5 to 2.0 terrabytes...
Nice setup brah! I have finally decided to upgrade my setup. My priorities were my servers, now since my 4200ti died and swollen capacitors on my mboard I am forced to upgrade.

Current setup:

Asus p4s333 mb
p4 2.2ghz
2gigs mushkin blueline with coolers
8 usb's, 2 firewires
sb audigy platinum
gainward ti 4200 clocked to 4600 specs
4 80gig ide 5400rpm hdds
ata card
cdrw
4 120mm fans
4 80mm fans
1 neon
clear side
So you two just wanted to brag about your own setups?  
smile.gif
Nah no bragging, Just know whats what and how to cut corners ect... As well as being in it so long just ends up costly as the Busa and 1K will get in time as well LOL!!! Like compupers and bikes, PROFORMANCE COSTS, skimp and you get what you pay for.

A couple simple questions to ask yourself is do you want a desktop or laptop, but to answer you need to think about how much space you have and do you need any mobility?  Once you've decided that you can put into play some of the setups that werdkat and fakk2 have suggestd.  Like dm gsxr said, how much money you have to spend is very important, as well.  

Kind of like do I buy a new or used Busa?  Do I add bolt-ons or a full exhaust?  If a full exhaust which one?  
biggrin.gif
Exactly but also how much do you use it as well, what for, and do you want it fixed or mobile, I have both but as I type now I use a laptop here with a wireless setup, this can have great advatages such as programming your BUSA/Bike aka EMS/Power Commander ect....

this lap top is basic 1 gig memory, 3.06 AMD processor, 80gig hard drive, 64 meg graphics card, USRobotics Wireless Card(can get this and the wireless router at SAMS for 100.00). DVD recorder and CD recorder 15.4 screen and thats it, works great. and I can take it @300 to 600 feet from main wireless router.

some laptops come with 17" screens now, So something to think about, you not confined to a desk either now.

This is a question with an unendable amont of answers. I sell computers as well as I am a Network Administrator for the federal government. The first question I want to ask is how much do you know about computers? Do you feel comfotable working on hardware yourself? Could you replace a video card if you had to. If not I would buy a system all made before trying to build one or pick out the parts for one yourself. Next is what are you going to be doing with this computer? You already said you will not be playing games and let me tell you that you have saved yourself alot of money there. A good video card will cost in the neigborhood of 4-500 dollars alone. For the internet and general computer use (and I do sell my own custom built systems) I would go with a Dell . They sell a good solid inexpensive platform, provide good service and a long warranty. Dont buy the cheapest one you can find on there. I would look for something that did not have integrated video because some of them do not come with slots to upgrade later on down the road if you want to. Here is what I would look for ... AMD and Intel both make very good processors now.. AMD had a bad spell a couple of years ago but seems to have come out of it and they test faster than Intel on alot of benchmarks. AMD is less expensive so for a home user it usually wins out. Intel I like alittle better it is much more tested with Windows OS I am sure most everyone has heard of Wintel (Windows Intel) but its all in presonal preferrence on that part. I would get a minimum of 512Mb of RAM its not to expenisve and if you have it put in right off you will be happier with your system. The new technology for hard drives is called SATA (Serial ATA) it runs faster than the ATA (133 compared to 150) right now but I expect to see those numbers much faster by the end of 05 SATA is new and they should be pushing around 200 I think by 06. So a motherboard that supports SATA is better The hard drive is the slower part of the computer bus speeds and Memory are very fast but eventually it will have to write things to the HD and that speed is what you notice. Integrated sound and LAN is pretty much standard unless you are going to be doing something very sound intensive it should work fine and if it dies after the warranty runs out you can get a PCI sound card and should have plenty of free spots. Take a look at the Dell 4700 line it is the least expensive line with SATA drives. If you are on a budget integrated is OK but figure about 900 bucks will get you something already built with an OS and warranty DVD CDRW flat screen etc etc I hope this helped some.
have to agree with you on alot but on 2 things 1 video cards you can get either AGP or PCI 128bit 256 meg ddr for @60.00 to several thousand dollars Nviada is the best but thats my preference, Also memory can be expensive as hell and with my main system was I think I paid @400-500 a slab for 1 gig slabs and have 2gigs of main memory so total cost to me was 800-1000 dollars, and I had no other choice about it, it was the only memory that would work in the motherboard. So need to look out for that, propriotary memory is costly also lates and greatest cutting edge stuff costs a pretty penny as well.

Dell is great as well as some local stuff too and the emachines at best buys got some decent configurations as well that merit looking into BUT I reinterate this, get an EXTENDED WARRENTY as well that is just good sence.

Damn that's a lot of info.

Thanks to every one except warbrown for the responses.
wink.gif

painless4u I've been looking on AAFES on line, and after reading through every ones post that is probably where I am going to go.

I figure the least complicated way is to go with DELL using the suggestions I've received.

All right heres the next question. Many of you have strongly suggest DSL or Broadband. Well right now at this moment I have neither a phone line or cable for the TV. Let me explain. Until I make TSgt I have restricted my self from getting cable. Just a distraction I do not need. I know am pretty much a hypocrite getting a PC. But I tell myself that I will use it to study, so there you go. As far as the phone line goes I have a cell phone and do not see the point in getting a land line. Which brings me back to what the hell do I do about connecting to the net.

Thanks again, of course except for warbrown.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Back