Computer STILL F-ed

(PDBusa @ Oct. 17 2006,13:08) power supply giving incorrect power to disc can cause short disc life. I use a battery backup to keep the power supply constant for the drive.
wonder if that's my problem... It locks up before it even loads the compaq screen sometimes... The moniter doesn't even get a signal from it at times.

(PDBusa @ Oct. 17 2006,13:10) could be those instructional pole dancing videos causing short life too...  
wow.gif
shhh.... no-one else knows about my practice...

(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,13:05)
(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:03) Windows ME  
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive.  Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.  

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components.  Do you have that?  
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad.  The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.
the power supply can cause lockups? I've never heard of that before...

I might have the diagnostic disc somewhere, but my stepdad had all that stuff, and I have no clue where it would be...
It can happen. If the voltages are not upto what they are supposed to be it will cause lockups. Usually they will just quit working altogether, but I have seen them putting out a lower voltage then what is required.

No easy way to test other than disconnecting from PC and measuring the output with a meter.

Let me know if you can not find the disk and I will see if I can dig an old one up. What is the exact model number of the Compaq you have? I may have an old diagnostics disk, but I will have to look.

(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:12)
(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,13:05)
(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:03) Windows ME  
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive.  Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.  

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components.  Do you have that?  
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad.  The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.
the power supply can cause lockups? I've never heard of that before...

I might have the diagnostic disc somewhere, but my stepdad had all that stuff, and I have no clue where it would be...
It can happen.  If the voltages are not upto what they are supposed to be it will cause lockups.  Usually they will just quit working altogether, but I have seen them putting out a lower voltage then what is required.

No easy way to test other than disconnecting from PC and measuring the output with a meter.

Let me know if you can not find the disk and I will see if I can dig an old one up.  What is the exact model number of the Compaq you have?  I may have an old diagnostics disk, but I will have to look.
Compaq Presario 5000

Thanks for the help. I've heard the power supply can't be replaced on compaq's, same as the Hard drives... is that true?

Get a business license, swipe the credit card (apply for in store credt) get a new one, and write it off on your taxes.
super.gif

if you do not have anything of any REAL importance on that machine....then don't even back it up.
you already know that the drive has been infected at some point...and I have NEVER seen an AV application that catches 'everything' .....so just toss that sucker out.....take it apart...see how it works....smash the platters...whatever.

You can always write down 'www.hayabusa.org' so you can find your way back here.
wink.gif

and then you take little risk of transfering anything that might cause a software problem.
I can send ya a copy of Win98SE (bulk license so you can install it as many times as you want without having to register)
wink.gif

winME is crap/was carp and will always be crap.....should have been named winHAHA!

and if you require more 'instructional videos' ..... I have about 30GB of them stashed somewhere around on one of the home PCs....I'll have to ask the wife, she prolly has them bookmarked...lol

+1 on power supplies causing problems....it could also be heat on the CPU or RAM....is it clean inside the PC...or dusty as heck? Has the thermal paste/pad aver been changed on this 4yr old PC? there are a hundred different places to start.
crazy.gif

wink.gif

OK LETS TAKE IT WRAP SOME C4 AROUND IT A BLOW IT UP AND MAKE SURE WE ALL CALL BEN AND TELL HIM THE WEB ADDRESS SO HE DONT GET LOST

(BusaCruise @ Oct. 17 2006,13:44) if you do not have anything of any REAL importance on that machine....then don't even back it up.
you already know that the drive has been infected at some point...and I have NEVER seen an AV application that catches 'everything' .....so just toss that sucker out.....take it apart...see how it works....smash the platters...whatever.

You can always write down 'www.hayabusa.org'  so you can find your way back here.  
wink.gif

and then you take little risk of transfering anything that might cause a software problem.
I can send ya a copy of Win98SE (bulk license so you can install it as many times as you want without having to register)  
wink.gif

winME is crap/was carp and will always be crap.....should have been named winHAHA!

and if you require more 'instructional videos' ..... I have about 30GB of them stashed somewhere around on one of the home PCs....I'll have to ask the wife, she prolly has them bookmarked...lol

+1 on power supplies causing problems....it could also be heat on the CPU or RAM....is it clean inside the PC...or dusty as heck?  Has the thermal paste/pad aver been changed on this 4yr old PC?  there are a hundred different places to start.
crazy.gif
Thermal Paste/pad?
rock.gif
I'm assuming it hasn't been changed.

As for dust, it WAS then I blew all the dust out. It has 2 main fans (I actually added one, as it came with only one fan for the power supply, and 1 for the cpu. So I added another big fan to the back)

wink.gif

(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,13:15) Compaq Presario 5000

Thanks for the help. I've heard the power supply can't be replaced on compaq's, same as the Hard drives... is that true?
I dont have a diagnostics disc for that one. Trying to keep my sugestions to the no cost route since you said funds are low.

Check your Memory with Memtest (free)
http://www.memtest86.com/

Power the PC off and open it up to see what the manufacture of the hard drive is. Then go to the site for that manufacture and you will be able to download a diagnostic/format floppy disk. This will wipe the drive, then reinstall an operating system other than ME if possible.

Best bet is like BusaCruise stated. Trash the drive and get a new one.
guns.gif

(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,14:25)
(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,13:15) Compaq Presario 5000

I dont have a diagnostics disc for that one.  Trying to keep my sugestions to the no cost route since you said funds are low.

Check your Memory with Memtest (free)
http://www.memtest86.com/

Power the PC off and open it up to see what the manufacture of the hard drive is.  Then go to the site for that manufacture and you will be able to download a diagnostic/format floppy disk.  This will wipe the drive, then reinstall an operating system other than ME if possible.

Best bet is like BusaCruise stated.  Trash the drive and get a new one.
guns.gif
I'll see if I can get another Hard Drive for it... If nothing else, if it doesn't fix it, I could always add it to another PC down the road, right?

(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,14:29) I'll see if I can get another Hard Drive for it... If nothing else, if it doesn't fix it, I could always add it to another PC down the road, right?
You can always use it in another PC down the road.

(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,16:53)
(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,14
super.gif
) I'll see if I can get another Hard Drive for it... If nothing else, if it doesn't fix it, I could always add it to another PC down the road, right?
You can always use it in another PC down the road.
cool

For what it's worth when you get it working again, think LINUX.
biggrin.gif

As to the problem, I think the answers have already been talked about, but I'll throw my two cents in. Instead of trying to replace the hard drive, I would consider replacing the power supply first.

I think it is more likely that the problem is a power supply, memory or system board than a bad drive.

If the machine locks up before it even boots to a splash screen then it typically isn't getting far enough along in the boot process to even access the HD yet.

To go a step further, all hard drives will eventually have errors. This is common, but it is the type and severity of the error that will determine whether or not the drive is going to hell. Unless you have continuously occurring errors on the drive, it is hard to tell.

A couple of cheap ways to check to see if it is the memory... Open the box and remove the memory modules. Use a pencil eraser to gently clean to contact points on both sides of the module and then put them back in. If the problem still occurs and assuming you have more than one memory module installed, take one out and leave the other. See if the problem happens again. If it does, switch out the modules. Keep doing this until it doesn't happen or you run out of modules to swap one-at-a-time.

If you get through all the memory modules and it is still happening, then you have pretty much ruled out the memory.

I would go with a power supply replacement at that point. Yes you can get an after-market power supply and install it in a Compaq. Not like you'll void the warranty.
wink.gif
Just make sure the size and connectors are the same as the one you have now. In fact, your current one with you to the store to make sure.

If that no fixxy the problem, then return the power supply and try a hard drive. Most of the time sales ARE NOT final and you can return the product.

(Altec @ Oct. 17 2006,20:55) For what it's worth when you get it working again, think LINUX.  
biggrin.gif

As to the problem, I think the answers have already been talked about, but I'll throw my two cents in.  Instead of trying to replace the hard drive, I would consider replacing the power supply first.  

I think it is more likely that the problem is a power supply, memory or system board than a bad drive.  

If the machine locks up before it even boots to a splash screen then it typically isn't getting far enough along in the boot process to even access the HD yet.

To go a step further, all hard drives will eventually have errors.  This is common, but it is the type and severity of the error that will determine whether or not the drive is going to hell.  Unless you have continuously occurring errors on the drive, it is hard to tell.

A couple of cheap ways to check to see if it is the memory...  Open the box and remove the memory modules.  Use a pencil eraser to gently clean to contact points on both sides of the module and then put them back in.   If the problem still occurs and assuming you have more than one memory module installed, take one out and leave the other.  See if the problem happens again.  If it does, switch out the modules.  Keep doing this until it doesn't happen or you run out of modules to swap one-at-a-time.  

If you get through all the memory modules and it is still happening, then you have pretty much ruled out the memory.

I would go with a power supply replacement at that point.    Yes you can get an after-market power supply and install it in a Compaq.  Not like you'll void the warranty.  
wink.gif
  Just make sure the size and connectors are the same as the one you have now.  In fact, your current one with you to the store to make sure.

If that no fixxy the problem, then return the power supply and try a hard drive.  Most of the time sales ARE NOT final and you can return the product.
Cool, thanks drew!

Oh and I just remembered that I might have an older working power supply in the basement. If you can take a pic and email it to me, I'll see if it will work for you. If it does, then I'll ship it to you.

(Altec @ Oct. 17 2006,21:07) Oh and I just remembered that I might have an older working power supply in the basement.  If you can take a pic and email it to me, I'll see if it will work for you.  If it does, then I'll ship it to you.
I'll try that...

Back