Computer STILL F-ed

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, I hate computers... The guy did everything he could to fix my computer, and it's still f-ed up. I guess I need a new one... now, how can I buy a computer when I'm jobless... Anyone got an older one for cheap?

I don't know about in Va.
But lots of used computer stores up here and the old desktops start at 20 bucks or so for the CPU's.

yeah, what's the problem? Lots of smart people here. Sometimes even me

Locks up randomly on start up and while running. to get it to start just now, I had to turn it on and off about 10 times before it finally loaded up to windows with out locking...

Running ME (locked up again too). Don't know the speed, but it's about 4-5 years old. I got about 512 mb of RAM. The guy who "fixed" it said it had some disc errors. He thought they were fixed, apparently not. He did fix it for free though, since he's a friend of my mom.

hehe...there's two problems right there... a name brand and running winME.

did you ever say exactly what was done to try and fix this machine?
I only recall you saying you were goingto be down for a few days....but not the actions.

"some disc errors" ...... not very helpful

was it reloaded / repaired or just 'fixed' and tossed back at you?

If you know you have disc errors....start planning on replaceing the drive because it's only a matter of time....but it still may 'get you by'.

the lock-ups could be anything tho...we really need some more info on what was done...to help determine if the problem could be hardware or software....or both.

Really don't know more than just disc errors. I'm not too computer savvy... I used to be, but I'm not anymore. He said he ran scan disc and it had some disc errors. I know he deleted some files, and he found some virus's and fixed them, but otherwise, not much more that I know.

look into a new hard drive. My ME was doing that until the screen of death appeared and said "backup files immediately, imminent failure about to occur"
wow.gif

(PDBusa @ Oct. 17 2006,12:53) look into a new hard drive. My ME was doing that until the screen of death appeared and said "backup files immediately, imminent failure about to occur"  
wow.gif
oh yay!
eek2.gif
Glad I don't have much important on here...

back it up as much as you can. I got lucky and was able to save everything just in time. You have a PC or laptop? hard drives can be had for fairly cheap at the big box stores. I got mine from Best Buy

(PDBusa @ Oct. 17 2006,12:57) back it up as much as you can. I got lucky and was able to save everything just in time. You have a PC or laptop? hard drives can be had for fairly cheap at the big box stores. I got mine from Best Buy
PC... I've been told before it sounds like the HD is going bad... Typical HD, only runs for a little while, then turns to crap! (get it, It was a Harley joke too! I slay me sometimes with my wit! )
laugh.gif

Windows ME
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive. Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components. Do you have that?
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad. The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.

wierd... It hasn't locked up in the past hour or so... maybe it's self fixing... or the pin has been pulled on the HD grenade...

(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:03) Windows ME  
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive.  Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.  

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components.  Do you have that?  
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad.  The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.
the power supply can cause lockups? I've never heard of that before...

I might have the diagnostic disc somewhere, but my stepdad had all that stuff, and I have no clue where it would be...

power supply giving incorrect power to disc can cause short disc life. I use a battery backup to keep the power supply constant for the drive.

could be those instructional pole dancing videos causing short life too...
wow.gif

Back