Computer STILL F-ed

(Altec @ Oct. 17 2006,21:23) Stop that.  You're post whoring faster than me!  
beerchug.gif
What do you mean?
biggrin.gif

Does the hard-drive led start flashing on boot before it crashes?

If so, I'd guess its either the HD itself, or windows ME. I had a friend whose system would regularly crash every couple hours when he was running ME. It's an absolute piece of trash OS. Win2k/XP recommended.

If you're getting crashes before the hd led starts flashing, then you probably have some other hardware issue.... memory or motherboard most likely. Power supply isn't something that causes partial failures in my opinion. I've had them either fry or work fine... never in between.

(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,10:05)
(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:03) Windows ME  
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive.  Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.  

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components.  Do you have that?  
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad.  The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.
the power supply can cause lockups? I've never heard of that before...

I might have the diagnostic disc somewhere, but my stepdad had all that stuff, and I have no clue where it would be...
hehe -- I wrote you on myspace and said I had one with the power supply causing that
GET RID OF ME-- it was on my pc for about 5 mins before i dunped it

(xzvs @ Oct. 17 2006,22:44)
(yamahor @ Oct. 17 2006,10:05)
(hayabusa626 @ Oct. 17 2006,13:03) Windows ME  
wow.gif

I would at least backup any data you have on it to a USB drive.  Sounds like the drive may be on its last leg.  

The Compaq's usually came with a diagnostics disc that you could run to test the system for bad components.  Do you have that?  
This will at least let you know if the RAM or hard drive are going bad.  The power supply is another thing that can cause lockups if it is going bad.
the power supply can cause lockups? I've never heard of that before...

I might have the diagnostic disc somewhere, but my stepdad had all that stuff, and I have no clue where it would be...
hehe -- I wrote you on myspace and said I had one with the power supply causing that
GET RID OF ME-- it was on my pc for about 5 mins before i dunped it
yeah, but I'm slow, blonde, and the air when your 6'10" is kinda thin....

I remember you sending me that message now...

Back