Computer help please

fredsimmons

Registered
My Internet Explorer has been quitting and I would get an error message. I blamed it on Vista. I finally found out it is from Webshots. A few months ago I installed webshots,what a mistake. Does anyone know how to get rid of the error and correct the problem? The error message is a agcutils.dll. I tried to uninstall webshots through control panel and cannot get it to unistall the software either. :banghead:

does it not have an uninstall routine?

sometimes reinstalling and uninstalling works.. Otherwise, references need removed from the registry and that is not an good place for the inexperienced... also, Google up something like "Webshot uninstall" you are likely not the first guy to get screwed up by some half baked software.. :)

I avoid registry "cleaners" like the plague.... NEVER EVER seen one I would trust..

sometimes reinstalling and uninstalling works.. Otherwise, references need removed from the registry and that is not an good place for the inexperienced... also, Google up something like "Webshot uninstall" you are likely not the first guy to get screwed up by some half baked software.. :)

I avoid registry "cleaners" like the plague.... NEVER EVER seen one I would trust..

avoid registry "cleaners" like the plague, only for the really experienced

My Internet Explorer has been quitting and I would get an error message. I blamed it on Vista. I finally found out it is from Webshots. A few months ago I installed webshots,what a mistake. Does anyone know how to get rid of the error and correct the problem? The error message is a agcutils.dll. I tried to uninstall webshots through control panel and cannot get it to unistall the software either. :banghead:

Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
Select Start > Run

type "regedit",without quotes, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
Select Start > Run

type "regedit",without quotes, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection
I doubt this will do a bit of good.. all that does is remove the title from the install/uninstall from the registry hive..

sounds more like to me that there are remnants of the program being called by IE (crap software usually has crap uninstall) If the errors are showing up on boot, then sometimes msconfig will work to kill off the offending process. If the thing embedded itself into IE, then an experienced hand or a good step by step from Google is the safest way normally..

if you find one, post it up, a few can look at it and see if it looks safe.. I would still try installing it again and using the "uninstall" routine provided.. (make sure all windows are closed, if you had an IE window open it could have caused the problem)

Last edited:

I agree....they'll cause more probs than they fix usually. If you're experienced, you're better off backing up the registry, then cleaning out the problem entries yourself.......more time consuming, but safer and better at fixing probs in the end ;)

talk to Skywalker, he's a computer god
Posted via Mobile Device

there are two little tools I have been using for a few months on customer's hardware...

mbam.exe from Malwarebytes.org (this will remove a great many items)
&
spyhunter from enigmasoftware.com (the free version of this tool will only identify issues, but will give the file path (or registry key) to allow you to delete it).

if your error with IE persists...I would suggest using another PC to download the IE7 standalone package you need and then after a few changes, do a re-install.
You don't mention which Vista you have nor version of IE...so I cannot link you properly.

You might just try using the add/remove to take out IE .... or start in safe mode and restore IE default settings/ remove all managed add-ons... / and there are several temp directories to clear.

there are so MANY things to try... :beerchug:

Back