Compression Test???

none of the piston should be less than 171psi, also the diffrence between any 2 cylinders should not be more than 28 psi.
standard compression is 171-228 psi.

that is low, nothing should be low than 171 psi, why you are trying to perform compression test? how many miles you have on the bike? those #'s i gave you are factory specs.

if you blew head gasket your engine will run hot or mix coolant with oil or you will have 2 pistons next to each other are really low on compression. what makes you think you hurt something? i need more info.

I got one that is at 170 and the rest are at 185...that be ok?
Did you ever resolve this?

I have a tapping/light knocking from my engine which has got louder recently.

I've run a compression test and have cylinders 1 & 4 at 185, 2 at 175 and 3 at 160. Adding a little oil to each cylinder raised each reading by about 10psi across the board.

Running the engine without 2 & 3 spark plugs connected the ticking noise goes away. With just 2 disconnected the noise was there but quieter. With just three disconnected, the noise was present at full volume.

Any ideas?

Rob

I got one that is at 170 and the rest are at 185...that be ok?
Did you ever resolve this?

I have a tapping/light knocking from my engine which has got louder recently.

I've run a compression test and have cylinders 1 & 4 at 185, 2 at 175 and 3 at 160. Adding a little oil to each cylinder raised each reading by about 10psi across the board.

Running the engine without 2 & 3 spark plugs connected the ticking noise goes away. With just 2 disconnected the noise was there but quieter. With just three disconnected, the noise was present at full volume.

Any ideas?

Rob
sounds like 3 is a little sloppy in the hole.

Disconecting sparkplugs on a motor that is running can do it harm, mostly to a few electical/electronic componants. Just fer your info. Depends on the car/bike but you can kill some componants.
is the noise there with a hot or cold motor...all the time?

Zooks are loun an' shiddy soundin' motors(most of them anyway) but from that low compression in that one hole,and the fact that the noise gets worse when the hole gets power to it,sorda indicates piston slap. Piston pin or perhaps rod bearing...thats my guess.

diagnosing sounds across the net is always a challenge.

piston slap,bearing failure(crank,cam,etc),piston pin, cam chain noise.... its endless.

Generally a compression test is a "go - no go" type test. What I mean by this is if 3 holes show 175 psi and 1 shows 50 psi, well, you tear it down and the problem is rather obvious, but if the lowest reading is some 10% of the highest you should actually be doing a leak down test. It takes a little longer to do, but you can isolate the leakage(s) just by listening and watching. That way when you do tear it down you will have an idea of where to look.

I have had a few bikes ... mostley Ninja 600's that just love to have the rings carbon up and stick to the piston. Lower compression readings in one or more holes and when I take the cylinder off I have carboned up rings. I have adjusted the needles and jets (Mikuni RS34's), tried changing the oil more often, synthetics etc. so it must be a combination of high rpms continuously and the crappy stock paper filter. It is just one of the things I have to live with.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies - sorry for the slow response but I've been away.

I agree that diagnosing noises over the web is hard!!!

Also agree that the results of my compression test aren't conclusive and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

I had listen to a friends Hayabusa the other day - he thought his was loud but compared to mine it was nothing.

I am now worried about running it so I think it's going to be "head off" time to see what's going on. May sound a bit drastic but what the hell....

Rob

Hi Guys just been reading this because I have just done a compression test and my stock motor 2004 is reading very low, cylinders 1-4 144, 142, 140, and 134psi. the manual says it should be between 171-228 with the lowest 128 which im getting dangerously close to. Im just concerned that they are all pretty much the same just low so going to try and check the accuracy of my gauge before I tear it down.

Any thoughts please

That's the thing sixpack its a low milage motor 18000miles, I have just been out trying to check the tester gauge, its been difficult with the connectors I have lying around my garage but I recon that the tester gauge is reading low. When my compressor gauge is reading 110 the tester gauge is showing 85 so a difference of 25psi, I cant check higher because my compressor doesn't go higher but at a lower pressure the difference is less. So I think it would be safe to say that if my comp tester was showing 140-144 then that would be at least 165-169 and I can live with that. TBH the bike runs too well for it to have a major problem.

Hi Guys just been reading this because I have just done a compression test
and my stock motor 2004 is reading very low,
cylinders 1-4 144, 142, 140, and 134 psi.

The manual says it should be between 171-228 with the lowest 128 which I'm getting dangerously close to.

I"m just concerned that they are all pretty much the same just low so going to try and check the accuracy of my gauge before I tear it down.

Any thoughts please.

Just to make sure of your low numbers before you tear into it ~ if it runs fine, make sure your throttle is open when testing . . .

:whistle:

Just to make sure of your low numbers before you tear into it ~ if it runs fine, make sure your throttle is open when testing . . .

:whistle:
Redbull if you read my last post No15 I did just that, But I have limited resources in my garage ad will have to take it to a shop for a leakdown test. For now im confident that its my gauge that is faulty not my compression.

Redbull if you read my last post No15 I did just that, But I have limited resources in my garage ad will have to take it to a shop for a leakdown test. For now im confident that its my gauge that is faulty not my compression.

You can buy a leakdown tester for $200 to $300.
I'de buy one before paying a shop, and likely save money or not spend any more.

Back