Completed MSF experiance rider course Saturday

bs72069

Registered
It was alright. Most of the things we did were the same as the basic course. Only bad thing was the ride in at 6 am and it was 42 degree out.

So what were the few things that were different from the basic course?

So what were the few things that were different from the basic course?
Same question for me too...I've been considering taking the experienced rider's course. My mom and step dad took it last year, they talked about learning the lines in a turn, quick stops, etc...but what all did you learn and practice in the course?
race.gif

i hope he didnt take the busa!! i remember i had a pos honda cruizer.. damn thing was like a 500 cc and weight 2 tons.. .but could turn like a mofo!! lol.

I took the basic MSF course on a Kat 750 (with the Busa sittin' in the garage), but there was another guy with a Busa and he had a bit of time with it. We wound up being partnered together and found he had just bought it about 2 weeks before the course. At the end of the day I was just glad he hadn't dropped it. Maybe one day I will take the advanced course, but it will have to be substantially different.

I want to take it because I heard that the course helps you correct bad habbits that you may have learned. However, I don't want to drop my Busa either. That's the only bike I have.

I took the MSF/Riders Edge course two years ago with a buddy that was totally brand new to riding.

Yeah its gonna be a long post, so short version is I SERIOUSLY/STRONGLY recommend it to anyone looking for a course. (read more if you wanna know why
biggrin.gif
)

Here's why
wink.gif

1) they provide you with a buel blast to ride for the course. If you havent seen/riden one, they are a blast. 500cc, not the lightest things but turn very nicely and dont get hurt if they fall over. also the exhaust is on the bottom so new riders dont have to worry as much about getting burned.

2) all you have to provide is long sleaves, pants, shoes/boots over the ankle, gloves and eye protection. They do have helmets at most locations to borrow. You also have to have a good attitude and want to learn
wink.gif
I went into the class thinkin, oh yeah 15yrs of riding what are they gonna teach me, but I learned some new tricks and even broke some really bad habits I had formed. (4finger braking vs 2finger was one of them)

3) they setup a nice road course and are actually a little tougher than the standard MSF course. From what I have heard, this class is almost a combination of the Adv. MSF and regular MSF. They do some of the emergency stops, riding over objects and things like that, also get you going fairly decent speeds at times. Nothing advanced about it, however it does give you a decent idea of whats going on.

4) did I mention you use their bikes
tounge.gif

The only downside is that they do toss a good deal of HD stuff at you but I thought it was cool cuz I had no clue about HD's .... after the class I at least had sat on each kind and knew more about them.
cool.gif

wink.gif

Somethings i remembered from the basic but wasnt sure about the others. I took the basic back in 1994 so im not sure if we did the figure 8 in a box and about the S curve part. There was a lot of quick braking excercises. braking out of a corner, swerving right or left part, and the rest was cornering excersises. And i used the busa. Which was real hard to do on some of the excersises in real tight turns.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109634186 -->

Ok, The BRC (Basic Riders Course) is a standard course that teaches great technique and control. We teach someone who had never ridden before to ride. Most locations (except Military) use loaner bikes. Most of them are 250cc. Harley uses the Buell Blast which is a 500cc but the 250cc is just as punchy. We are talking harley here.
laugh.gif
 Years ago they had something called the MRC (Motorcycle Riders course) that one never had the tight u-turns, but they did have the rear tire skid. The New experianced riders course (ERC) is pretty much the same thing as the BRC, but you do it on your own bike. Plus they skip all the begginer basic instruction, so it only takes one day compared to a two or three day course. Harley Davidsons Riders Edge is the same exact program as the BRC. The only difference is they charge you more and try to make you feel better about buying harley stuff buy hyping it up. So thats the low down.

I highly recommend everyone to take there bikes thru the ERC. To become an instructor you need to be able to perform the exercises on any motorcycle. Granted its not a chopper with ape hangers and 7 ft long front end. I have taken my busa thru this course many times doing demonstrations. I love it when a student tells me there bike wont do an exercise and then I get on it and whip it around. That always shuts up the doubters.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109636491 -->

Hey Rider Coach, it will be a great help of you could answer me these couple of questions -

a) I have been riding atleast 10 years now, Should I take the Basic Course or the ERC course?!
b) What is the general time duration of these courses (How many days)
c) See, Id be taking one of these courses when I'm in the US... on a holiday or something! Is there some way I can rent a Motorcycle to do my course Basic or ERC?

You could reply me over PM also... Thanks a lot in advance
bowdown.gif

Back