Coming from the cruiser world, how difficult is it to ride and get used to a Busa?

89Speedy

Registered
I'm on the senior citizen side, just turning 62 a few months ago. Been enjoying the large V-Twin Harleys for the past few years. I'm contemplating stepping outside of my comfort zone and purchasing a second bike that is completely different from what I am used to. Just how difficult will a Hayabusa be to ride?

Re: Coming from the cruiser world, how difficult is it to ride and get used to a Busa

Well, the hayabusa isn't that bad to ride. It's quite comfortable and easy to ride. She will respond if you twist on the throttle, but I was pleasantly surprised on how well mannered it is when you don't crank on the throttle.

Re: Coming from the cruiser world, how difficult is it to ride and get used to a Busa

I was on a long ride with a group of friends headed for an overnight stay where we could cruise the mountain twisties. One of the tag-a-longs or 'friend of a friend' who was with us was riding a 2012 Street Glide. He commented at a gas stop how difficult it must be to ride my Hayabusa and that it wasn't something he would ever be interested in doing. Before I responded, my buddy jumped in and said, "Have you ever ridden one? That thing's a p@ssy cat. I'm also giving him credit to how well he's got it tuned, but it's flawless and seamless throttle response. It's like butter. Now if you roll the throttle open wide, that another story. You better be pointed in the right direction, because when you look at the farthest point down the road, you're gonna be there, now!"

I can't say it any better. No it doesn't handle as good on a back road as my GSX-R1000, but it doesn't require much more work especially if the suspension is set up correctly and you choose the right tire. Tire profile makes a huge difference. If you haven't tried a Busa with a set Michelin Pilots mounted up, try one before you buy a new set of sneakers. I rode several others and found that the Pilots give the Bus very neutral steering and make the stockers and others feel like 2x4s wrapped around the rim.

I ride much longer distances now in order to ride the fun roads in northern New England. The Busa allows me to enjoy those roads as well as the ride to and from them.

Last edited:

I was under the same impression when I was on my gsxr. Thought no way would I own one of those Busa. Then got a chance to take a spin on one and haven't looked back since

i am 62 and just switched from a warrior to the busa. it's a different ride for sure, but the throttle response is thrilling. don't know why i waited so long to get into a sport bike. nothing like it.

If you like naked bikes then try a BKing. I don't get on with sportbikes as I have tendinitis in my wrists so the king is perfect for me :)

It is a world of difference from the Harley/Cruiser world. I found I can enjoy running down the back highways on a cruiser just fine and have a blast, but I have found the Busa brings out the mischievous side of me...suddenly cruising seems inadequate :laugh:

That's not to say when I jump back on the cruiser I dont have just as good of a time, just a different time is all.

-THE MENACE

It is a world of difference from the Harley/Cruiser world. I found I can enjoy running down the back highways on a cruiser just fine and have a blast, but I have found the Busa brings out the mischievous side of me...suddenly cruising seems inadequate :laugh:

That's not to say when I jump back on the cruiser I dont have just as good of a time, just a different time is all.

-THE MENACE

Couldn't have said it better...

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

It might take some getting use to for longer rides. But you will get use to it. Enjoy and be safe :thumbsup:

Back