Coming from a modded 06 R1...

Twisty

Registered
I did a quick search but didn't really get what I was looking for. Sorry if this has been brought up over and over again but here goes.

I had a mildly modded 06 R1, -1 front, pipes, commander, k&n. I rode (ride) pretty hard and love corners. I go out on weekends with a few other riders who are all experienced and we have a blast. They have gsxr1k's, rc51's, cbr1k's, R6 ect ect. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the guys up front and sometimes take the lead. Am I going to regret switching to a hayabusa? I'll admit the majority of my riding is city and highway unless we head out of town to the twisty roads, but I dont want to be left behind in the corners.

I planned on doing some mods to help it move around. Shorty exhaust, speedcell battery, pc5, brembo master cylinder, ss lines, HH pads, michelin power ONE's. Am I going to be dissapointed with the outcome? Can this thing turn?

Anyone else switch from a 1k to a busa?

It's all up to YOUR riding skills...

Do you know how to ride in the twisties ???

If I had to rank myself, I could comfortably say above average. I dont have any track exp. and I only have around 20k miles under my belt (15k of them on the R1) but I can get it down pretty good and use all the rubber on the tire. I ride with guys who have 5x more seat time(and track time) than me and keep up with them fine.

Im pretty confident with my riding skills.

I went to the Busa after 1 month on a Ninja 650R. The Busa was so much better. It's really not as scary as every makes them to be as long as you can control yourself.

Oh Im not concerned with the power, Im worried about its weight/agility on the street. Is it to big to have fun with in corners?

Well it weighs over a hundred pounds more than an R1 you do the math. If you know how to ride it shouldn't matter. Plenty of guys do track days on them. You said you ride it on the highway mostly so why does it matter?

If I had to rank myself, I could comfortably say above average. I dont have any track exp. and I only have around 20k miles under my belt (15k of them on the R1) but I can get it down pretty good and use all the rubber on the tire. I ride with guys who have 5x more seat time(and track time) than me and keep up with them fine.

Im pretty confident with my riding skills.

If your riding buddies have better riding skills and a lot more experience than you...if things get a little 'competitive' (and sometimes they do) you will have a hard time keeping up with them in the twisties.

The Busa is a very capable bike in the twisties, just have some respect for it's power and speed capabilities...you will be fine :beerchug:

Well it weighs over a hundred pounds more than an R1 you do the math. If you know how to ride it shouldn't matter. Plenty of guys do track days on them. You said you ride it on the highway mostly so why does it matter?

Well, I live in the heart of Pittsburgh and to get to any of the fun roads its about a 45min highway ride. And I ride to/from work, to friends houses and what not.

Basically I realize Im gaining some comfort on my ass, back, hands, and power to lose some agility. I've never rode a busa so idk how bad that 100lb is going to slow it down. Does it matter that I'm light? Will that help or hurt my chances of flicking the bike through turns?

I think that most people going from a 1k to a busa would be suprised by how well it handles for its size. I would try to get on one before you buy. My experience after riding my buddies 05 R1 was that the busa, although heavier, fairs pretty well against it. Plus you get the bonus of a more comfortable ride when you want one.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to hit a dealership this week and try to get on one, being that I already started to buy parts for a bike I didnt purchase yet :laugh:

Enjoy the ride. I think the liter bikes will give you all you can handle in the twisties, but when you come out of them it's over for them :laugh:

Welcome :welcome:

YMMV but I can keep up with and/or beat 90% of the riders around here on liter bikes in the twisties.. but I have a few hundred thousand miles under my belt. Put a Busa up against a modern liter bike with equal riders on the track and the liter bike will win every time (assuming the track doesn't have any really long straights lol).

Welcome to the Org.:beerchug:
the most important thing no one asked was: are you getting a gen 1 or gen 2 busa?

I did a quick search but didn't really get what I was looking for. Sorry if this has been brought up over and over again but here goes.

I had a mildly modded 06 R1, -1 front, pipes, commander, k&n. I rode (ride) pretty hard and love corners. I go out on weekends with a few other riders who are all experienced and we have a blast. They have gsxr1k's, rc51's, cbr1k's, R6 ect ect. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the guys up front and sometimes take the lead. Am I going to regret switching to a hayabusa? I'll admit the majority of my riding is city and highway unless we head out of town to the twisty roads, but I dont want to be left behind in the corners.

I planned on doing some mods to help it move around. Shorty exhaust, speedcell battery, pc5, brembo master cylinder, ss lines, HH pads, michelin power ONE's. Am I going to be dissapointed with the outcome? Can this thing turn?

Anyone else switch from a 1k to a busa?
Unless you and you're buds run race pace on the street you'll keep up no problemo. The busa handles extremely well for its size, and hides the extra weight very nicely :thumbsup:

I have had both bikes you mentioned....

The Busa will handle pretty damn good in the twisties, and you should be able to keep up.... But.... You will be more fatigued when you get off the Busa than if you were on the R1 (due to throwing around the extra weight)...

Everything else you mentioned afa riding will more than make up for what you lose in the twisties... The Busa is so much better to ride....

Wind blast is nill... Comfort in the seat and riding position is 100 x's better on the Busa (and I had Heli Bars and a seat mod on my '06 R1).... Torque for hwy riding is soooo nice compared to the crap low-end of the R1....

I say "do it".... I took about a 2-3 year break from Busas to try out other 1k's and such, but here I am looking for another Busa....

Good luck!!! :beerchug:

Well I switched from a 05 R6 to a 06 busa and I have no regrets. It is just plain sexy. The thing you notice when you hop on a busa is the brakes are not as great. Since you don't have the new R1, I would switch to a busa. Are you looking for pre 07 or 08+? If you go with the 09 you should get the badass silver, if you are looking for an older busa go with the pearl white 06! Good luck and cheers.

Back