Combination Meter Unit Replacement

OB_Jeff

Registered
My damn combination meter unit seems to have failed after owning the bike 1 year and 1 month. All four meter guage needles are hung. I tried the reset procedure listed on page 7-32 of the tech service manual to no avail. Has anyone experienced this? I didn't renew the warranty since I had 0 problems with the bike the first year. Go figure. I'm probably screwed. Worst case, I'll have to replace this part. Does anyone know the least expensive place to purchase a new combination meter unit?

You might want to try disconnecting the rear plug (cutting the power) and plugging back in before you give up entirely.

firstly disconnect your battery then reconnect then turn on the ignition.This happened twice to me and this is how i managed to get mine going again

Combination meter unit? Is that the speedo/tacho unit?? If so I might be able to help.

Jeff I agree try the negitive cable then the cluster and then reconnect let sit disconected over night. if that does not work try warranty and be as nice as you can and polite.I have seen stranger things get warrantied.

Sorry I'm still confused, is this the speedo/tach gauges or not?????

For the record, I know of a fault that can occur with the stock speedo gauge, and how to correct it. I found this fault and cure when I was testing the speedo instrument in the lab during the development of the Yellow Box.

If the speedo gets bad pulses, like very fast pulses from a "crackly" bad connection, it can jump right up the scale. If the bike is then turned off the speedo needle can "hang" and often resets itself to THE WRONG SPOT! This is very scary, from that point on your speedo will not work at all and keeps resetting to a very high speed, probably past the end of the dial in no-mans land.

The problem is caused by the stepper motor and computer in the gauge. When you turn the bike off it is supposed to reset to the correct zero position.

Anyway, to fix the problem, set the bike up on a SECURE rear stand and gently take it up to redline in 6th gear obviously with the rear wheel in the air. Get a friend to hold the bike/stand down for safety!!

Once the speedo has been taken high enough and the wheel gently brought back to a standstill it will then reset normally and work normally.

I have heard people spend hundreds of $ on a new speedo cluster (combination meter) when all they needed was to reset it properly.

If you can't remember all this, just remember if your speedo starts resetting to some weird position when you turn the bike off, the "Yellow Box" guy can help you fix it. I'm usually around the bike forums somewhere. :)

Yellow Box at:
http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/

[This message has been edited by 99TLR (edited 09 June 2000).]

Hey Roman,

Same procedure (bike on stand, rear wheel free to rotate, maybe extra man holding bike on stand if it's not OEM centerstand) should let you reproduce the small "problem" I found with my YB:

Put bike in gear, first will do nicely, get rear wheel up to some speed, between 5 and 10 mph should already be enough, then pull in clutch and use rear brake to try and bring rear wheel TO INSTANT, COMPLETE STOP!
Don't do anything else anymore (you can put bike in neutral of course but DON'T turn off ignition or turn rear wheel) and watch tripmeter for I'd say 2 minutes as depending on speed before stop this should be enough time for .1 mile extra to have shown-up?

Can't imagine mine's the only one doing this, although with all respect it's an "undocumented feature" that only showed-up by accident when wrenching on my Busa last winter and it's not reproducable during actual riding.

Hi Animal, I couldn't duplicate it last time by hand, but I will try what you just suggested this weekend.

In the possibility you have a faulty box and it is the only one that does that fault, I can work out an exchange with a new box as I would love to get my hands on your one. What software version is it, v100 or v101??

I have the original v100 version ... keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to duplicate it.

BTW, as far as I can see now, this phenomenon was "discovered" by me by accident and doesn't happen during normal riding on the street, so I don't even see the need for an exchange, it's just so damn intriguing!

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 09 June 2000).]

Back