Cold weather question?

sessions

Registered
This is a question for guys that dont deal with snow in the winter season or live in FL,CA,South TX, where it's always riding season there. What temp would you say is dangerous to ride your bike "For Traction reasons". I rode to work this morning at 31 degrees outside, its in the 50's now. I took at easy on the curves because of this, it was in the back of my mind during the ride. Whats ur input?

It was 25* when this shot was taken and we already had about 100 miles in the rear view :)

p1030826.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't so much the outside air temperature, but its the tire temp. You can have a 70 degree day outside and lose it before you warmed up your tires. Also, riding when its 30 degrees, properly warming your tires before tipping it into a turn, you'll be fine. Drop a couple PSI and they'll heat faster.

Someone here made a GREAT post about how to properly warm up tires, and it isn't the side to side weave a lot of us do. There is no such thing as scrubbing in tires for the modern tire. Its getting them through there first few heat cycles that gets you the grip.

You'll see indy cars swerving side to side at the beginning of the race because that's the only way they can get enough flex out of the sidewalls of the tires to get them to heat quickly.

A bike should not be piloted in the same matter, rather quick acceleration and deceleration will put a great load on the tire as it flexes and will produce the desired result of "scrubbing in" a new or cold tire.

It isn't so much the outside air temperature, but its the tire temp. You can have a 70 degree day outside and lose it before you warmed up your tires. Also, riding when its 30 degrees, properly warming your tires before tipping it into a turn, you'll be fine. Drop a couple PSI and they'll heat faster.

Someone here made a GREAT post about how to properly warm up tires, and it isn't the side to side weave a lot of us do. There is no such thing as scrubbing in tires for the modern tire. Its getting them through there first few heat cycles that gets you the grip.

You'll see indy cars swerving side to side at the beginning of the race because that's the only way they can get enough flex out of the sidewalls of the tires to get them to heat quickly.

A bike should not be piloted in the same matter, rather quick acceleration and deceleration will put a great load on the tire as it flexes and will produce the desired result of "scrubbing in" a new or cold tire.

Hadn't considered that method, but it makes loads (pun intended) of sense. Thanks!

I used to be a no car guy, ride in any weather unless it was snowing or sleeting or icing. These days, my take is that if the air temp is near frezzing, there is a risk of ice on the road. If the road temps are near freezing, same ice risk. Therefore, I don't ride in those temps.

All it takes is a tiny patch of ice/partial ice and you can lose it. Heaven forbid that you find a significant stretch of ice, because once on ice, you have zero control until you're off the ice.

I love riding, but I skip ice risks to increase my odds of riding more days in the future.

Best of luck!

I am always extra cautious under 45 degrees...while ice may not exist, tires never really warm up...unless you burn-out the tire at each stop light. Not only when braking and cornering, but also when downshifting...that engine braking can also cause you to lose control. In cold, no racing and no high RPMs...even on straights.

I won't ride if it is below 60 degrees. I know my tires heat up, but the street won't, & I corner very aggresively. I HATE THE COLD. I have ridden in 21 degrees before, when my Wife 1st got her license & just had to ride, but not any more.

I am always extra cautious under 45 degrees...while ice may not exist, tires never really warm up...unless you burn-out the tire at each stop light. Not only when braking and cornering, but also when downshifting...that engine braking can also cause you to lose control. In cold, no racing and no high RPMs...even on straights.
kind of my experience.. sub 45 and greasy is pretty easy to find..

on scrubbing the tires.. more the point is to knock the garbage off the tires.. little balls of used rubber, dirt, gravel.. etc...

you should see the race takeoffs the guys run at Bash.. they have a full layer of new "old" rubber on them that has to be "scrubbed " off before they can get down to business.. maybe John has some pics?

In my opinion I don't think it's the temperature you have to worry about so much as the way you ride. I have ridden in sub zero temp's before but I don't corner,brake,accelerate hard or "stretch" it out. In my opinion you just have to be real careful and ride with some common sense. Your tires will warm up to a certain degree but the road temps will not and that's what you have to watch for. I'm probably an odd ball but I cannot wait all winter till spring to ride, don't get me wrong the road has to be dry and then you have salt powder so then I have to clean it as soon as I get back to my garage. I generally also don't go very far, just enough to get a "FIX", so good luck and be careful.

In my opinion I don't think it's the temperature you have to worry about so much as the way you ride. I have ridden in sub zero temp's before but I don't corner,brake,accelerate hard or "stretch" it out. In my opinion you just have to be real careful and ride with some common sense. Your tires will warm up to a certain degree but the road temps will not and that's what you have to watch for. I'm probably an odd ball but I cannot wait all winter till spring to ride, don't get me wrong the road has to be dry and then you have salt powder so then I have to clean it as soon as I get back to my garage. I generally also don't go very far, just enough to get a "FIX", so good luck and be careful.

+1 :thumbsup:

yea but it takes all the fun out of the ride.. may as well ride a vespa..

Back