Cold weather, cold tires, leaf clutter (be careful)

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok got a call tonight.. another rider down.. (sounds like cold tires on a big corner) bike is probably totaled and the rider has at least a broken hand and owes me a new leather jacket..

Temps cool the roads and tires do not warm very well...

about time for many areas to start slowing down to "wet road" speeds..

ATGATT...and another question, as an unexperienced cold weather rider....what(if any?) is a good method to determine if your tires are warm?

Hope your friend recovers well...

Tires won't heat up enough this time of year. Leaves all over, most places.

Hope they make a full and speedy recovery.

ATGATT...and another question, as an unexperienced cold weather rider....what(if any?) is a good method to determine if your tires are warm?

Tell him Randy..

Very tricky time of year to ride!

Just when you think your safe,, -- ,, Your upside down,, ouch! :whistle:

Last time out temp was 55 degrees, tires did not get above 65 degrees. Not gonna get aggressive on cold tires. Have to wait till it warms up..:whistle:

I was out for a beautiful fall ride today, 10C and sunny. You have to use common sense though, no twisty stuff at anything above moderate speeds. Enjoy and ride safe.

yes what Steve said... I was pretty dumbfounded when I could not get my tires up to temp without thrashing them pretty hard with temps in the 50's... I have always just parked the bike when it got into the 50's (just not comfortable being cold).. cold pavement and cold air are not your friends...

Now I see I had other things going for me... front tire does much better if you are pushing it a bit but that 60-70 degree tire is useless... (and this was starting at 31psi)

Oh and this is not a Busa rider... it is a guy I have hounded to slow down.. his normal was no lid, no jacket and no gloves (I posted a pic of him earlier in the season mounting his bike near naked..... I would not ride with him until he had at least gloves, jacket and helmet on..

Well I spoke with him and the lid is junk, the jacket is junk (my jacket) and his gloves are trashed.. he is most grateful to only be bruised up.. I will get photos of gear and bike tomorrow.. bike was recovered about 100' down an embankment by cable..

Last edited:
Glad he's gonna be okay. It's definitely time to start taking it easy out there.

Glad it wasn't worse, good on your part getting him to wear gear, bet he see's why now.

Back of my bike got a little loose last weekend, temp in the 50s, gave me a gentle reminder to slow down, glad your friend is going to be o.k.

yea, people got to take it slow when it gets cold... took mine out this morning with frost on the widows of my car... it only takes one fall without gear to make you go out and buy gear...

Saving my rides for warmer days. Between the leaf lookers, leafs and cold I'm just not interested for a while.

Quick Edit - Nice of you to let him use your jacket, here's to the hope he will do the right thing and continue to be grateful that you saved his hind, literally.

Last edited:

In cold weather the best practice is just assume you have much less traction and that your tires wont get up any where near "hot" or "warm" Like others have mentioned its just the wrong time of the year for spirited riding.

Back