Cold engine noise

snowman

Registered
I’ve got a ’05 red and black. Around 4200 miles my engine started to get this rattling noise on startup. Almost sounded like a diesel engine when it was cold. As the engine warmed up the noise slowly went away. It always ran well but the startup noise did not sound good. I did some searching on the site and found a couple of posts that described similar symptoms and nobody seemed to be too concerned so I did not freak out about it. Last week I switched to AMSOIL 10x40 synthetic(I was planning to do this anyway) It did not seem to make any difference with the noise, however, today I go out and start my bike and the startup rattle is there. After about 10 seconds of run time the rattle just stops and does not come back. My question is, do any of you think that running the AMSOIL was what quieted the engine or just a strange coincidence??

Thanks

Have not had that noise on my Busa. My Honda does that and always has, but I had valves adjusted and timing chain adjusted and the noise was better. I think you need one of those two things done on Busa. There is a plastic adjuster for the timing chain in my Honda that was worn down. I think You should have valves checked first. Most Busas are a little noisy at cold start naturally, but if the noise is more than it use to be, you should have it checked out.

It's normal....most Busa's sound like a bad washing machine when they are cold
sad.gif

Every 'busa I've ever had in my shop, including my own.

1 - Keep your oil level just below the full mark
2 - Start the engine with the choke on
3 - Think about doing your first valve adjustment earlier than the recommended interval
4 - Allow 10 seconds or so of idling in neutral (start bike in neutral) before releasing the clutch lever or putting the bike in gear, or revving the engine above on-choke idle
5 - Adjust your idle (low idle is also a common 'busa problem)

These five things will keep the problem from getting worse or causing any real harm.

I’ve got a ’05 red and black.  Around 4200 miles my engine started to get this rattling noise on startup.  Almost sounded like a diesel engine when it was cold.  As the engine warmed up the noise slowly went away.  It always ran well but the startup noise did not sound good.  I did some searching on the site and found a couple of posts that described similar symptoms and nobody seemed to be too concerned so I did not freak out about it.  Last week I switched to AMSOIL 10x40 synthetic(I was planning to do this anyway)  It did not seem to make any difference with the noise, however, today I go out and start my bike and the startup rattle is there.  After about 10 seconds of run time the rattle just stops and does not come back.  My question is, do any of you think that running the AMSOIL was what quieted the engine or just a strange coincidence??

Thanks
do ya have an aftermarket exhaust???
I did, and a couple bolts came a litttle loose, and the noise went away when warmed up

sad.gif
yep its normal...put me down for a +1
+2
+3

There are alot of sounds that had me concerned when I got my '05, don't sweat it. If there is something absolutly wrong, there will be no question. The hayabusa is a strong engine that makes alot of "personality" noise. When it has problems it's all or nothing with these things.

I agree with the valve adjustment comment above as well.

Keep on top of oil, spark plugs, air filter, tires, and the occasional throttle body syncing, and you'll be fine.

sad.gif
yep its normal...put me down for a +1
+2
+3

There are alot of sounds that had me concerned when I got my '05, don't sweat it. If there is something absolutly wrong, there will be no question. The hayabusa is a strong engine that makes alot of "personality" noise. When it has problems it's all or nothing with these things.

I agree with the valve adjustment comment above as well.

Keep on top of oil, spark plugs, air filter, tires, and the occasional throttle body syncing, and you'll be fine.
This all sounds about right to me

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The noise has not come back and I've put on about 300 miles this week. I still find it really strange since I doubted that simply changing to synthetic would make that much diff.

Oh well. I'm not going to complain :-)

Set idle highier. If it is at 1000 or lower which is where it always winds up, it will sound really noisy. I got to adjust mine tomorrow.

The '06's still do it. Got used to not haveing it around during the summer months. It seems to get worse as the temps go down.

Back