COBRA Terminator Pumpkin or 8.8 Pull & Replace

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
Spent some time out in the shop yesterday. I had put this FORD Racing 8.8 373's in my Terminator I guess about 3 years ago and had a small amount of whine on deceleration. Was indicated that its because of the Delrin Bushings from the Full Tilt Boogie kit transferring the harmonics of the driveline. Time to see. Going to just put the OE 355's back in and listen to the quite is what I'm thinking.

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

It is or was sitting at 1.5-2 degrees which is supposed to be right. I have additional spacers and had to much initially but was correct to the 1.5-2 during initial setup. It will certainly cause whine on deceleration and I hate that noise. Hope all is quite with the factory setup diff. The difference between the 355's and 373's is nothing. The car is like a rocket with either and plenty of torque to launch and twist those half shafts if I was the kind of guy to let her loose. She has 751 HP and 682 torque to the ground. Which is really not much by todays standards. Setting Pinion Angle

Incorrect angle of the pinion causes whine, this I know.....

I'm no mechanic but I really think the DIFF is just off a bit. I'll know soon enough just by putting the OE back in and it I still hear it I'll go with the DELRIN stuff carrying the harmonics BS. I wish now I had just left her all stock.

Oh I know it's a nasty ride! I've not heard of bushing material causing a diff to whine, but it's possible I suppose.

Didn't do much today. Just swapped the built FORD Racing Diff cover with to the factory OE back to the Original OE DIFF. Cleaned them all up of course and topped off with Royal Purple. If this works out I'll try and sell that 8.8 fully built with the finest FORD Racing internals. Backlash on that unit is 11,000.

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

Now that's some HP! I love the Z06. That new Corvette looks pretty cool. They will be out and about and can't wait to see one in person.

Had a built 01 Bullitt that I swap in a cobra IRS Ran 430 gears with a viper spec T56. Fun car. Sold that off and built a 1500hp Z06

My ears did not deceive me. I new that was just a ring gear howling a bit. Song bird is gone. She is now fun to drive again and the Delrin bushings are just fine with me. Just spend 4.5 hrs putting it all back together today and feels good to do some wrenching. I'm tired old man but I did good. When I was a kid laying on my back in 3/4" rocks in mom and dad's driveway it was hell. Loving my garage but crawling around is still hard on the bones.

Mystic 8.8 355's Back In (1).JPG

Mystic 8.8 355's Back In (2).JPG

Mystic 8.8 355's Back In (3).JPG

Back