clutchless shifting?

A good friend, Ronnie Sox has been "powershifting for years. Chrysler actually hooked up a computer on one of his cars in the early 70's along with Don Carlton's Motown Missle running an automatic in Superstock and Sox actually shifted faster than Carlton's mount did! However, a lot depends on the shifter himself. Can't say about bikes, but anyone who frequents the dragstrip every now and then in a stick car will tell you shifting without clutching will KILL syncros and cluster shafts. I've been drag racing for may years and trust me, I have been around the best in the business and thay ALL use the clutch...or at least till Lencos came out in 74. As for bikes? Don't know, we should ask Angelle?

I've shifted bikes w/o a clutch for 15 yrs and NEVER had a clutch or tranny problem
rock.gif

Hello everyone. I've shifted cars, trucks, dirt bikes, and streetbikes without the clutch. I've got over 100k on the 5 speed in my Civic SI no tranny problems or clutch probs. Now I don't shift clutchlessly all the time but most of the time I do. Broke a shift fork in a dirt bike tranny but that was poor manufacturing. A weld actually broke on the shaft. the bike was over ten years old when that happened. And as it goes for most off road vehicles it had led a hard life. I agree that it is amazingly smooth when done correctly. Preloading is key and like it was said before Its your tranny and you'll be paying to have it fixed. If you trust yourself to be smooth try it.

I've done it with dirt bikes, never tried it with street bikes, I can hardly wait to try it.
Thanks for the info!!!
thumbs-up.gif

no clutch shifting is known as speed shifting and as you mentioned power shifting the clutch is used.Dont recommend power shifting much but speed shifting upward has never hurt anything.Clutchless shifting down put lots of pressure on things not to mention possible tire hop.Heads up when experimenting.

drove the bus to work today...tried this "clutchless shifting" you recommend. It's mostly smooth, but I'm still working on getting flawless throttle delivery. Any pointers?

whatever works with ya, Criss. It's best no to get too convinced to try something u not confortable with.

If your not comfortable with the idea of doing it, then just don't worry about it. Eventually you will think about it again and try it then. Just remember to take your time with it and preload every time.

Back