clutchless shifting

joncook06

Registered
Can anyone tell me how to do it on an 08? I've tried redlining and letting off the throttle a little but it just won't shift. I'm told this should help my 1/4 mile times so I want to learn, also will it wear out my clutch faster?

Should not be any diff then GenIs. I ride all the time with out clutch for up shifting. I clutch only to slow or to stop, and occationally for 1st to 2nd. Try it on the street with out going to redline. Its not letting off the throtle....its blurping the throutle. Very quick flick OFF of the throutle just a bit and shift same time. FOr the track I now use an air-shifter thu.

Big Rod hit it on the head. Blip the throttle closed and shift it, you can preload the spring to help out but theres a WHOLE LOT going on down the track to worry about that.
If your worried about clutchless shifting killing your steels and fibers you should do some research into what drag racing does to them. :laugh: Steels and fibers are cheap for a reason.
Get yourself an air shifter and call it good.

On the street I dont use the clutch a whole lot. Its just a qwuik blip off the throttle and shift at the same time. When ya do it right it will shift nice and smooooth. 1 more thing,I adjust most of the play out of the throttle cable so throttle response is instant ,no lag to take up the slack in the cable.
as far as drag racing it most definately get an air shifter. I have a Cycle Tech on mine and it works wonderfully. For me the only tricky part was splicing the wires for the ignition kill box.

No you wont have to physically(move)reverse the air shifter. I have a Cycle Tech and all ya need to do is move the air line to the top port and it will shift down.

shifting with the clutch will wear it faster than with out,think about it. every time you use the clutch it slips a little.when you shift with out it, it stays engaged, no slippage! same thing on the 18 wheeler i drive. a good truck driver never use's the clutch to shift

Load the shifter up before you blip the throttle.

+1000 You must preload the shifter and when you blip the throttle it justs clicks in, I never use the clutch when up shifting.
Just feels better to me.
Practice, and ride it safe.
Bubba

ok, what is preloading? Is it putting pressure on the shifter before the blip?
Yup. Get your foot on the shifter and put pressure on it. When you blip the throttle it will go into the next gear without you thinking about it. Just remember to release the pressure after it shifts so that it will select the next gear when you repeat the process.

Back