clutch?

dolilind

Registered
I was told on this turbo bike that the clutch was worn out by the old owner, he rode it one time after the motor work). While i was messing with it today i went to put the new clutch in. The one thats in the bike looks like it has wear. What does a burn up clutch look like? The steels in this one have not been discolored, i seen no marks at where it really hasn't been worn. The mark where they where machined are still there. The fibers haven't been eaten up, burned. Shouldn't something have been worn if it was a old clutch? The motor shop could have put a new clutch in it but im not sure.

Dont know if it slipps. the bike came to me not running. turbo is out being worked on. Dont smell burned.

Heres a couple pix.. all fibers and steels look like this

clutch 001.JPG

clutch 003.JPG

clutch 008.JPG

clutch 009.JPG

clutch 006.JPG

If it looks good and smells good it probably is good but may be slipping due to improper adjustment, car oil with friction modifiers or too much hp for the clutch set up. If it was me I would install the new clutch just to be on the safe side.

If it looks good and smells good it probably is good but may be slipping due to improper adjustment, car oil with friction modifiers or too much hp for the clutch set up. If it was me I would install the new clutch just to be on the safe side.

Please let us know how you can smell a clutch on a bike that has the clutch completely enclosed. First I've ever heard of that. Maybe on a car were the clutch is dry and somewhat exposed.

Dont know if it slipps. the bike came to me not running. turbo is out being worked on. Dont smell burned.

The only way to tell if the clutch fibers and plates are worn is to measure their thickness. I recently replaced my clutch on my turbo bike because it was slipping. They looked just like yours only the the measured thickness was less that the service limit.

I wouldn't replace it until you measure them. Visually it's not possible to tell if they are bad.

The only way to tell if the clutch fibers and plates are worn is to measure their thickness. I recently replaced my clutch on my turbo bike because it was slipping. They looked just like yours only the the measured thickness was less that the service limit.

I wouldn't replace it until you measure them. Visually it's not possible to tell if they are bad.

i can't find the measurement. you know what it is?

Please let us know how you can smell a clutch on a bike that has the clutch completely enclosed. First I've ever heard of that. Maybe on a car were the clutch is dry and somewhat exposed.

He has it out I assume he can sniff it, open the oil cap and sniff if the clutch is not out of the bike. burnt wet clutches smell burnt just like dry clutches. These may be old tricks but they still work there is more to diagnosing a problem than just taking things apart. But what do I know I have only worked on hundreds of motorcycles professionally. :banghead:

Why would sniff clutch plates to verify wear instead of measuring the plates for wear? I'm done.

If they smell burnt there is no need to measure them they are shot even if they measure to specs because they are glazed. I'm Done, why does every one give a guy such a hard time for trying to help out.???

based on the pictures you've posted the clutch pack looks brand new. There's no wear, no blueing, nothing. Just measure the stack height and verify that the steels are all flat.

Back