clutch wouldn't engage

bhawksworth

Registered
My bike is seven months old and has about 2K miles on it. I let it sit for about two weeks until yesterday (bad, I know). It started up just fine, I put it into first gear - and it wouldn't engage. I went all the way up the gears releasing the clutch all the way while 'in gear' (wouldn't it have been funny if it did engage), and all the way down again to first. Nothing. I repeatedly squeezed the clutch lever in every gear and the bike made a strange kind of mechanical sucking noise in the clutch area. Then I turned the bike off and on and it went into gear like nothing had every happened. Ever heard of this?

My bike is seven months old and has about 2K miles on it.   I let it sit for about two weeks until yesterday (bad, I know).  It started up just fine, I put it into first gear - and it wouldn't engage.  I went all the way up the gears releasing the clutch all the way while 'in gear' (wouldn't it have been funny if it did engage), and all the way down again to first.   Nothing.  I repeatedly squeezed the clutch lever in every gear and the bike made a strange kind of mechanical sucking noise in the clutch area.   Then I turned the bike off and on and it went into gear like nothing had every happened.   Ever heard of this?
2 weeks is nuthin' ...dont even think or worry 'bout that .
If you did a few things it would be easier to diagnose .
Did rpm change with clutch out/clutch in especially when cold . It changes the rotating mass (sort of). If rpm/sound/etc didnt change it means more than likely a clutch prob . If it felt normal (the clunk,the learch when cold,etc) maybe lean towards trans .
Hard as hell to diag. over the net sometimes .
If the trans is fine...and I would guess it is .
I would look at the fact that the clutch didnt release.
Some reasons...might be:
Shiddy design . Busa's have an' actuating rod , thats almost totallly exposed to chain fly-off,the elements(rust), dirt , etc.Perhaps this rod got stuck in,an' couldnt release . I'd look here first . Something has stopped the drive/driven plates from comming together . This isnt rocket science . Althou it might be for me
wink.gif
I'd chec the rod...left side plastic off,sprocket cover off.
I'd chec the master...they can seize (rare thou)
Almost sounds like somethings bent somewhere .
I'd re/re the clutch awell .

I THINK the prob is between the lever and the rod . Thats my guess .

Back