Clutch switch?

turbobusa2000

Registered
I'm going to be bypassing the clutch switch on my bike. Can I just pull that wire from the harness and just make sure the starter relay gets ground or does the ecu need to get ground as well?

Thanks for any help.

DO not remove the clutch switch!

The bike will run with neutral map when you remove the switch!
Also causes false rev limiter!

Nevermind, I just thought about it. When we pull in the clutch it is grounded, making a connection between the two wires on the clutch switch, putting it into a nuetral map. Hence the danger if you try and jump/bypass it. So the solution is to just leaving the two wires alone, not allowing the grounded signal to reach the ecu. Right.

Nevermind, I just thought about it. When we pull in the clutch it is grounded, making a connection between the two wires on the clutch switch, putting it into a nuetral map. Hence the danger if you try and jump/bypass it. So the solution is to just leaving the two wires alone, not allowing the grounded signal to reach the ecu. Right.

Correct, you use a hydraulic switch!

I was afraid of that. Are there any quality pressure switches even available? The one I used on my rear MC is sporadic at best.

you can remove the clutch signal from the ecu, only downside is during starting possibly not getting into starting map (I am assuming there is one, dont know it to be 100% true LOL)

you can remove the clutch signal from the ecu, only downside is during starting possibly not getting into starting map (I am assuming there is one, dont know it to be 100% true LOL)

So if I pull that pin from the harness, It won't put it into a nuetral map correct?

Also where can I get replacement pins and what's the trick to getting the plugs back together. Those things are a pita.

Last edited:
you have to ground that signal to pull ecu into neutral map. so removing it will never let that happen, though like i said minor draw back might be cold startup, who knows, give it a whirl and let us know

I just added a mico momentary switch to the housing to activate the clutch switch. Intead of pulling the clutch lever in to start I press the little button.

P5283276_v2.JPG

I did that jumpered the two wires when my switch blew and I was in daytona so I said what the heck I don't need it. let me tell you , you do need the switch. My gas mileage was horrible and the bike smelled like it was running rich. It ran okay but didn't seem to pull as hard. When I say it dropped gas mileage I mean like losing 3 or 4 miles per gallon... when I got home I replaced the switch.

you have to ground that signal to pull ecu into neutral map. so removing it will never let that happen, though like i said minor draw back might be cold startup, who knows, give it a whirl and let us know

I have found out the hardway not to disconnect that switch. for the longest time my bike had been running like crap, bogging out. i cleaned fuel injectors, cleaned gas tank, and ran new spark plugs but my mechanic told me that it was that damn switch. now i have the switch and was going to put it on but was wondering what or how do i reset the ecu? do i just unplug battery? i put the new swith in but it still bogged out. also does that switch need to be engaged every time i engage clutch, ie..shifting gears? or can it be put or relocated somewhere else as they did in the pics above and just used whenever bike is started

I have found out the hardway not to disconnect that switch. for the longest time my bike had been running like crap, bogging out. i cleaned fuel injectors, cleaned gas tank, and ran new spark plugs but my mechanic told me that it was that damn switch. now i have the switch and was going to put it on but was wondering what or how do i reset the ecu? do i just unplug battery? i put the new swith in but it still bogged out. also does that switch need to be engaged every time i engage clutch, ie..shifting gears? or can it be put or relocated somewhere else as they did in the pics above and just used whenever bike is started. BTW its an 01 busa with about 26k and stock

Teeming the clutch signal to the ecu isn't going to cause your issue, my guess is your map sensor unhooked

I know this is an old thread and maybe there are other newer ones but I couldn't let this one end badly
I recently removed my stock clutch master cylinder and installed a Accossato. It does not have a switch so I tied the wires together and no problem starting. 10 minutes into my 1st ride the FI light came on. Bike seemed to run normal but I noticed the fans were running when I pulled into the garage, and the temp gauge was slightly higher than normal. Looked at my wiring chart and realized ECU knows when clutch is in. Further investigation revealed the clutch signal causes the ECU TO RETART THE IGNITION. Clutch sw must be closed to start and open to run normal. As soon as I did this, no more FI light or fans running

If your set on not having a clutch switch you could always use a DOB style digital timer and use the starter signal as a trigger.
Grainger sells these 12VDC multi function timers in Dayton brand for around 85 bucks minus base plate.

Guys, I'm having an issue with my '99 Busa. Couple of days back, after a ride, the bike wouldn't start (starter wasn't getting power). After some deliberation, I tried starting with the clutch fully engaged (bike in neutral), and the bike started fine. Since I was close by to the service center, I rode to the place and asked my mechanic for an opinion. He adjusted the side stand 'ear' (which presses into the side stand switch plunger), following which, the bike got back to normal, starting without the clutch pulled in, when in neutral, (with or without the side stand up). I rode back, happy that the issue was solved.

2 days later, the same problem has recurred. Bike again refuses to start without the clutch lever pulled in. What could be the issue? Also, how does the side stand switch position matter as regards starting (when the bike is in neutral)? Immaterial of whether the stand is up or down, the bike should always start in neutral (but should not start in gear, even with the clutch engaged, if the stand is down).

So what changed when the mechanic 'adjusted' the side stand switch and how do I rectify the issue? Could it also be an issue with the clutch lever switch? The gear position sensor I presume is fine, as the neutral light comes on in neutral.

Guys, I'm having an issue with my '99 Busa. Couple of days back, after a ride, the bike wouldn't start (starter wasn't getting power). After some deliberation, I tried starting with the clutch fully engaged (bike in neutral), and the bike started fine. Since I was close by to the service center, I rode to the place and asked my mechanic for an opinion. He adjusted the side stand 'ear' (which presses into the side stand switch plunger), following which, the bike got back to normal, starting without the clutch pulled in, when in neutral, (with or without the side stand up). I rode back, happy that the issue was solved.

2 days later, the same problem has recurred. Bike again refuses to start without the clutch lever pulled in. What could be the issue? Also, how does the side stand switch position matter as regards starting (when the bike is in neutral)? Immaterial of whether the stand is up or down, the bike should always start in neutral (but should not start in gear, even with the clutch engaged, if the stand is down).

So what changed when the mechanic 'adjusted' the side stand switch and how do I rectify the issue? Could it also be an issue with the clutch lever switch? The gear position sensor I presume is fine, as the neutral light comes on in neutral.

I guess I am confused - to my knowledge, the clutch lever ALWAYS has to be pulled in to start, no matter what. in gear or N, kickstand up or down.

I guess I am confused - to my knowledge, the clutch lever ALWAYS has to be pulled in to start, no matter what. in gear or N, kickstand up or down.

The clutch needs to be engaged while starting, ONLY if the bike's in gear. Else, you don't need the clutch, to start the bike, while in neutral.

Back