Clutch slipping, me using Synthetic or worn out??

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
I didn't use the motorcycle blend of Mobil 1, and it does not have the additive for wet clutchs. Didn't think that was a big deal, but now a couple of years later (a few oil changes ago, I started using the Mobil one, have no clue what the previous owner used)

Did I kiil the disks with the synthetic? Or if I change to correct oil, can that fix the slipping?

And if not, can I just replace the disks with the friction material, and leave the metal disks.

(I have around 17,000 miles on the original clutch, not sure what the norm for replacement is)

Thanks for the input in advance!

I put over 17k on my gen2 and put full synthectic non mototrcycle specific oil in since 2600 miles.
Never had an issue, clutch always worked great.
So the oil may or may not be the problem.
If the clutch is slipping now though, it's done.

I didn't use the motorcycle blend of Mobil 1, and it does not have the additive for wet clutchs. Didn't think that was a big deal, but now a couple of years later (a few oil changes ago, I started using the Mobil one, have no clue what the previous owner used)

Did I kiil the disks with the synthetic? Or if I change to correct oil, can that fix the slipping?

And if not, can I just replace the disks with the friction material, and leave the metal disks.

(I have around 17,000 miles on the original clutch, not sure what the norm for replacement is)

Thanks for the input in advance!

As DO3 suggested,the right oil may correct it.

The clutch may not be "done."

Yes you can replace just the friction discs and not the driven plates as long as they are not glazed,warped,etc.

17,000 miles is not alot if the clutch has not been abused.

If it were my clutch,I'd probably change out the whole stack,and get some heavier springs...then you can really hammer on it. :thumbsup:

RSD.

Oil soaks into the friction discs.
You can't just change the oil in the engine and somehow get the old oil out of the friction discs.
Just like why you're supposed to soak new discs in oil before installing them, the friction disc absorb the oil.
If the clutch is slipping the friction discs ARE done. You may/may not be able to re-use the steels, it depends how hot they got, warped, glazed, ect. The fibers will embed into the steels also, steel is pourus even though you can't see it.
If by some miracle an oil change stops the clutch from slipping, don't get too excited, because it won't last long at all.

I think I'll just go with the new full set and might as well replace the springs while I have it apart.

I'm old school, and Barnet clutch was the one to get, but these days, not sure. And many of them say, no synthetic, I would prefer to go with a motorcycle synthetic.

What brands should I consider? (the factory is fairly expensive in Canada, and I can't find OEM on eBay either)

Back