Clutch Slave Cylinder is shot!

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
So two weekends ago I upgraded all my brake lines to braided lines. Everything went smooth and there were no hiccups. So I built up some confidence and decided I would replace the clutch line last weekend to a braided line. I Empty the clutch master cylinder then empty the clutch slave cylinder and everything is going fine. Until, I started to back the banjo bolt out of the clutch slave cylinder.

On all the other banjo bolts I would use my 12mm combination wrench to brake the bolt free with a half of turn and then just use my fingers to remove the bolt. On this banjo bolt it would get loose then tight then loose, etc. I had to use the combination wrench to remove the entire bolt which should have told me something was wrong and I should have stopped there and just left the line how it was.

However, I didn't do that. So once I get the banjo bolt out I inspect it and I noticed that there are threads in between the threads of the banjo bolt. I remove these threads and try to put the bolt back in by hand but it won't go. So either when it was installed the banjo bolt was cross threaded or when I removed the bolt I did something wrong because the clutch slave cylinder will not expect a bolt now.

So I ordered new parts for it on Tuesday from my local dealer and they should be here tomorrow. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder, the clutch cylinder cover, and the two screws that hold the cylinder cover on because those screws were evil. I soaked them in WD-40, I then tried every hand powered screwdriver I owned and nothing. I then break out the impact wrench and the threat of power tools worked because those two screws just jumped out. I didn't even need to put the battery in the impact drill just putting the Phillips bit in the drill and giving it a little turn by hand was enough to free the evil screws.

Here are pictures and if you want to see the whole album click on the link below the pictures:

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Hayabusa Clutch Issue

Last edited:
That suxs, too bad you didn't post up that you needed the parts, i know i have a few covers at home!

Sorry to hear it. If it makes you feel better, my left mirror bolts were cross threaded and I had to re-tap the mounting holes after I took them off.

Dude that sucks .
I hate it when bikes don't respect the love you give them !
Go out buy new lines for her an that's the thanks she gives you ?
Next time you ride I'd would flog the crap outta her .....:laugh:

Well I got the new clutch cylinder today and I tried to put the new banjo bolt from Galfer and the bolt only goes in about a half of turn before coming to a complete stop. I'm using my hand to do this and both the bolt and clutch cylinder is brand new.

1. Is it suppose to do this?
2. Should I get a new banjo bolt from Galfer just in case?
3. Am I missing something?

I feel like this bolt should go all the way in by hand. Hopefully I'm just over thinking this and all is okay.

Sounds the its the wrong thread pitch!

Try the stock one!

The clutch slave cylinder banjo has a finer thread pitch than the banjos at the master cylinder. Are you sure you have the correct banjo with the kit?
If I were you I would compare the OEM banjo with the Galfer banjo. There should be a noticable difference.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did compare the new bolt to the original bolt that I pulled out of the old clutch cylinder and the thread spacing appears to be identical. I then compared to the bolt I pulled out of the master cylinder and the master cylinder bolt has a different thread spacing.

I kind of want to try the original bolt that was installed in the original master cylinder but I'm afraid to because I know something was messed up with the original setup and I don't want to mess up this new clutch cylinder.

Okay, I went out to the garage and checked the original banjo bolt and the threads appeared fine so I cleaned off the bolt and tried to thread it into the new clutch cylinder and it does the same thing as the Galfer bolt. After about a half of turn it just stops.

What does that mean?

Get both of the Galfer banjos in your hand.... the finer threaded banjo goes in the slave cylinder.
Is it possible you installed the slave banjo on the master, leaving the incorrect banjo for the slave cylinder, resulting in the same problem you had with the oem setup?

I pulled the banjo from the master and it is completely different than the clutch cylinder bolt that I have. The one I have in the clutch cylinder is a finer thread. I put the master cylinder bolt back in by hand. I find it weird that I have two bad bolts but I guess it is possible. :dunno:

Weird. I'd be happy to help if I was near you but I'm not. I suspect it's something simple you may be over looking. Good luck.

Well I got the clutch cylinder working. It turns out that Suzuki changed the thread pitch on the clutch cylinder (part number 23160-15H00) so the banjo bolt that I pulled from the old clutch cylinder wouldn't work nor would the one that Galfer sent me. The old banjo bolt was a 10mm x 1.00 and the new banjo bolt is a 10mm x 1.25. This new thread pitch is the same as what is used in the master cylinders.

I wasn't able to use the Galfer line yet until I get a new bolt from Galfer but I did put the old hose on with some new fluid and everything works fine. I'm not sure if I could use my old bolt on the Galfer hose but I really wanted my bike running for the weekend so I didn't try it. Hopefully this info will help somebody in the future because the stock banjo bolt from an 08 or 09 won't work in a new clutch cylinder.

Last edited:
Glad you figured out the problem, but the trip to do it just plain sucks... good luck with getting the right part to finish the job!

Back