Clutch&Shifting Smoother after oil change???

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
When I bought the bike, the owner told me after oil changes, shifting has a much smoother feel. I thought he was nuts and I disregarded the statement immediately...

I changed the oil a couple of days ago and I am starting to agree with him. Shifting and the Clutch is MUCH smoother after the oil change. Is it just me or is there some link here that I am missing...

I increased the idle during the oil change and I know this helped smooth out first and second, but I don't think this has everything to do with the idle. (I have adjusted the idle before, so I have a descent idea what it felt like before as well and there is a very noticable difference.)

Is it just me, the idle, or is there some link here...?

Cloud

You know that oil shared with the clutch and engine has always feaked me out. All the crud from the tranny and clutch disks going into the oil pump can't be good. I know the filter is after the pump but there is a lot of weird particles floating around in the sump if you don't change your oil regularly.

I can believe it makes a difference shifting with fresh oil. I am sure that my truck runs better right after an oil change. It definately idles better and pulls better. You can even see on the oil pressure guage when the oil viscosity starts breaking down. The pressure drops at all rpm and loads as the oil gets old. I would bet friction has gone up too. Then the new oil restores full pressure and has less friction.

You know that oil shared with the clutch and engine has always feaked me out. All the crud from the tranny and clutch disks going into the oil pump can't be good. I know the filter is after the pump but there is a lot of weird particles floating around in the sump if you don't change your oil regularly.

I can believe it makes a difference shifting with fresh oil. I am sure that my truck runs better right after an oil change. It definately idles better and pulls better. You can even see on the oil pressure guage when the oil viscosity starts breaking down. The pressure drops at all rpm and loads as the oil gets old. I would bet friction has gone up too. Then the new oil restores full pressure and has less friction.
That's why I think I'll probably stick with dino oil and change it VERY regularly instead of going to synthetic. So far I changed it at 200 miles and 600 miles. I'll probably change it again at 1000 miles.

I just think changing often will be better for it than going synthetic. I'd go synthetic AND change it often but I can't afford to throw synth. out that often on my salary. It's bad enough with dino oil! :eek:

Ditto on the frequent changes. I did mine at 20, 650, and will be doing it again at 1500. At 1500 I'm considering going to synthetic and maintaining frequent changes (1500-2000 miles). Frequent changes are especially crucial during breakin. That first change at 20 miles was scary. You'd be amazed how much crud was in there from the engine getting broken in.

I went from Suzuki oil to Mobil 1 ans instantly noticed a smoother shift!

Remember,
A clean motor is a HAPPY motor!

I have to admit that I am surprised. I really thought this was a figment of my imagination, guess not...

I am using full synthetic and it is damn expensive as you mention, but if its better for my Busa to have steak then hamburger, I will give her steak... :tounge:

I'd like to give her steak too but at how many miles is it safe to use synthetic - she has 1700 at present ?

Tinman, you'll find all kinds of opinions on when to swtich from dino to syn but it seems that many people change it right away after break in or shortly thereafter and have no problems.

The premise of why you do not want to switch too early is that syn is "too slick" to allow proper initial engine wear. On the same token you would think the worst that could happen is it will take longer to reach "proper" break in if you switch too early to syn. But can't see how it hurts anything.

I have found that switching dino regularly and often makes huge difference in shifting and general performance. So I am sticking to dino for now seeing as I change so often and knowing that syn costs 4 times as much.

can't give you any experience from my end on switching to syn. It has syn in it when I bought it used...

Cloud

Damn sleeper, you still have the 11D. That was my dream bike until the Busa came out. In fact, until I really started to research the Busa this year, I was kind of thinking of buying one...

What do you think of the difference between your built out 11 and a Busa?

Obviously, I changed my mind... glad I did :)

Cloud

Back