Clutch Lever / Master Cylinder / Push Rod / Cables / Etc

Vman1313

Registered
First - I want to say I am "mechanically challenged." :unhappy: I will try to explain my problem as best as possible to see if anybody can help me out or give me some suggestions. So "I think" there is a problem with my Clutch Lever / Master Cylinder / Push Rod / Cables / or something. I bought some nice after market levers that looked sweet and also were also shorter (easier to reach). I carefully but easily put them on. I was instantly in love with how easy to reach they were as well how good they looked BUT after a few rides I started having problems with the gears engaging. I actually got stranded on the road because I wasn't sure what was going on and I didn't want to mess up anything worse. I babied her home and just parked her a little bummed out. The next day I went out to see if anything was out of whack and decided to see if possibly the aftermarket levers were the wrong ones or something. I put the original levers back on and the problem went away. The brake levers work perfectly but the clutch one does not seem to want to engage the gears properly (if that makes sense). I still have the brake lever on which looks great and works just as great but currently have the OEM clutch lever cause it works. I know I can easily live using the OEM lever but I have learned from you guys to not be scared to make things work or fix things myself. So any guidance or suggestions will be appreciate it.

My bike is a 2002 STOCK. From what I can see on the OEM lever, there is some rubbing or something as if the lever was bent but again, it works perfectly with no problems. The push rod and rubber housing also dont look quite right. The boot is a little bent inside the housing.

I will wait for suggestions or comments but I was about to buy this (Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit Suzuki GSF 1200 Bandit GSX 1300 R Hayabusa | eBay) to see if it helps.

Thanks in advance! :please:

Are the levers adjustable meaning do they have a black lever that can move to adjust how far the lever moves towards the grip?

For the longest time , I was running an aftermarket clutch lever and a stock brake lever just coz the aftermarket brake lever gave me a weird / no confidence feel while breaking .It sometimes happen when a lever gives a different feel and has a different shape compared to stock and causes problems. What levers are you using ? Also try adjusting the reach using the adjuster to see if that helps.
I am still running two different levers on my bike , pazzo for brake and ft tactical for clutch.

Are you using the brass insert firm the Oem clutch lever? On the aftermarket lever?

I am sorry I can not remember the exact name of the levers. I bought them a while back but am just finally getting to try to fix the clutch lever issue. Like I said the brake one works like a charm.

Yes the levers are adjustable. I tried changing from 1 to 6 but none of it improved the shifting.

I used the brass insert from the OEM. Levers did not come with one.

Did you make sure the pin was in the brass inset, if you missed it the clutch will not disengage!

Did you make sure the pin was in the brass inset, if you missed it the clutch will not disengage!

I am pretty sure I did because I really focused on putting everything back just as I had taken it off. I also got the OEM levers back on and working fine so I am assuming I made sure those were all set right. I can try/check that again though if you think if could be an easy fix.

I have an issue with my gears, I'm definitely having issues with my clutch lever. I tried bleeding them still no pressure in the lever. I noticed that without using the clutch my gears will shift down into 1st, neutral and second. I don't think I bled the clutch correctly or even know if I'm using the right fluid. Just say hydraulic brake fluid.

vman....I would bet the farm you missed the little hole in the brass with actuating pin upon installation and bent it. Replace bent pin. Make sure its in the hole before pulling lever.

Rubb.

Back