Clutch Knock When Pulling Away In 1st Gear

Julian Meston

Registered
Hi All,

I have a 2010 busa, and had it about 6 weeks now, with 12K mileage.

I have noticed that when pulling away in 1st, (traffic lights for example) as I release the clutch, I get a knock and slight jolt from the bike, as if the front sprocket is taking up chain slack.

The dealer says its normal, but I havent heard of this on other Busa's.

They have adjusted the chain and I still get it. Dont get the knock when changing up from 1st into 2nd, 2nd into 3rd etc, just when pulling away in 1st

Is this normal ? Is the gearbox designed in this way to slowly introduce power ? Cush Drive ? (on 12K mileage) ???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Mr Joolz

No it's not , check chain stretch by measuring the links or try pulling off back sprocket if it moves a lot your chain and sprockets are done,check cush drive rubbers are ok (should be at 12000).Check to see if it knocks at low speed by using back brake as well as pulling away as I had this fault and was caused by engine mount slightly loose.Go test and let us know +others will be along to help

Don't over tighten chain 30-35mm on middle of bottom run at tightest part of chain using side stand to allow for rider weight

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will try and pull chain off rear sprocket. How can I tell if cush drive is "knackered" :)

Will try back break and pulling away also . So it I use back brake and pull away, if its chain or cush drive, it will stop the knock and indicate something else, Like an engine mount as you said.

Thanks for ideas, will check.

Just wondering if your bike has the clutch mod fitted up ? I found take off from lights , when you wanted to leave faster than your riding buddies , was often a hit or miss experience until I had the APE / Brocks Gen 2 clutch mod fitted . The bike would buck and jolt to various degrees of discomfort on launch , and was often unable to reliably cane my smug litre bike riding mates . Cheers
Hi All,

I have a 2010 busa, and had it about 6 weeks now, with 12K mileage.

I have noticed that when pulling away in 1st, (traffic lights for example) as I release the clutch, I get a knock and slight jolt from the bike, as if the front sprocket is taking up chain slack.

The dealer says its normal, but I havent heard of this on other Busa's.

They have adjusted the chain and I still get it. Dont get the knock when changing up from 1st into 2nd, 2nd into 3rd etc, just when pulling away in 1st

Is this normal ? Is the gearbox designed in this way to slowly introduce power ? Cush Drive ? (on 12K mileage) ???

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Mr Joolz

Just let the bike roll 5-10 mph and touch back brake to see if there's a knock. To check cush drive rubbers remove rear wheel pull out sprocket hub (No tools required just pulls out mote correct location of rubbers).Personally I would road test first

Well I have tried the rear brake both rolling at 5-10 MPH and also using back brake slightly when pulling away and no knock, or if there is, its nowhere near as loud and fierce as before.

Does this implicate the chain then ?

Thanks

Just wondering if your bike has the clutch mod fitted up ? I found take off from lights , when you wanted to leave faster than your riding buddies , was often a hit or miss experience until I had the APE / Brocks Gen 2 clutch mod fitted . The bike would buck and jolt to various degrees of discomfort on launch , and was often unable to reliably cane my smug litre bike riding mates . Cheers

Bingo! I wondered how long that would take. Welded clutch mod or Brock's. The stock torque limiter is another brilliant idea brought to us by Slowzuki.
In stock, easy fix.

That's the clutch Assist System (SCAS) serves as back-torque-limiting system for smooth downshifts and also contributes to a light clutch pull. When you go to take off, it takes up the slack and makes a slight metallic sound, saw a bike that had it welded and every time he let off the gas, the back wheel locked for a nano second. I'm sure the back tire has small areas of wear from he let off of gas. Mine kinda clanks when taking off, all normal. You better be glad that your dealer told you it was normal. My dealer told me it wasn't and they would have to split the cases to check, $2000 just to split the cases. I changed the chain, both sprockets, and the cush drive for nothing. Then I done a lot of research and found that the slipper clutch or SCAS was doing it, all normal and that was 10,000 miles ago and all is fine.

Back