Clutch Issues?

50th Hayabusa

Registered
Good afternoon!

Bought a 2014 50th anniversary edition a few months back with 7,6XX miles on it from the original owner.

He didn’t ride much, so I wanted to change the fluids, and do some other general maintenance. Changed oil with Motul 300V 10W-40 motorcycle oil (from the 15W50 he was using, same brand and all), Suzuki oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs.

Afterwards, clutch started to act up. I would pull the clutch lever, and it would take 3-5 seconds to open. So when coming to a stop, it’s still engaged in a gear for 3-5 seconds, and I also have to wait 3-5 seconds in between gear changes, or it’s “not ready” to go into another gear.

Clutch fluids a bit dirty. Planned on replacing it when I do steel clutch/brake lines.

I apologize if this has already been posted. I’ve searched for hours, and maybe I’m not searching the correct words.

*I am squeezing the clutch lever when you hear the rattling*

Good afternoon!

Bought a 2014 50th anniversary edition a few months back with 7,6XX miles on it from the original owner.

He didn’t ride much, so I wanted to change the fluids, and do some other general maintenance. Changed oil with Motul 300V 10W-40 motorcycle oil (from the 15W50 he was using, same brand and all), Suzuki oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs.

Afterwards, clutch started to act up. I would pull the clutch lever, and it would take 3-5 seconds to open. So when coming to a stop, it’s still engaged in a gear for 3-5 seconds, and I also have to wait 3-5 seconds in between gear changes, or it’s “not ready” to go into another gear.

Clutch fluids a bit dirty. Planned on replacing it when I do steel clutch/brake lines.

I apologize if this has already been posted. I’ve searched for hours, and maybe I’m not searching the correct words.

*I am squeezing the clutch lever when you hear the rattling*

Welcome....

They are known to have issues with the clutch bolts working loose...If I were you, I'd put it on the side stand, take off the fairing and clutch cover and check those bolts. If they have come loose, Loctite them.

It might even be worth your time to check the clutch plates for wear...but with that few miles I suspect it will be in spec....the clutch could be glazed...??

Welcome....

They are known to have issues with the clutch bolts working loose...If I were you, I'd put it on the side stand, take off the fairing and clutch cover and check those bolts. If they have come loose, Loctite them.

It might even be worth your time to check the clutch plates for wear...but with that few miles I suspect it will be in spec....the clutch could be glazed...??
Thank you for the reply! I'll have to drain the oil and remove it. The six bolts with the clutch springs on them correct? Also, blue or red Loctite? Again, thank you! I'll post with an update.

Thank you for the reply! I'll have to drain the oil and remove it. The six bolts with the clutch springs on them correct? Also, blue or red Loctite? Again, thank you! I'll post with an update.
Don't need to drain the oil to take the cover off, just leave it on the side stand.

Yes, the bolts with the springs, I used blue Loctite. I can't recall the torque figures off hand.

It sounds like the plates are sticking a bit...with those low miles and the model year, I'd say the bike sat for a bit. The clutch plates might loosen on their own, if not, they might need to be taken out and cleaned then put back in after soaking in oil.

clutch main bolts (# 6 at the fiche) with one outside and one inside thread can come loose and ONLY Those have to be "loctited" medium tight (blue i guess) - NEVER the small screws (# 8 at the fiche) who press the springs !!!!

#6 needs 23 - 25 Nm
#8 gets only 10 Nm

ps:
if only one of them (#6) come loose (and out) these pics will be the result what will crash your finances !!!

ps2:
if one of the screws come loose the first (strongly warning) noise comes outa clutch - a screw is knocking the clutch covers inside.

Microfiche_99_03_Seite_27.jpg

Thank you for the tip on not having to drain the oil.

Took the cover off this morning before work, and all springs were tight. Removed bolts and springs. Took the clutch plates out, and they seemed pretty stuck together.

Any recommendations on cleaning the metal discs? A little steel wool? How long should the clutches soak for?

I’ll post pictures once I go home for lunch.

Thank y’all!

Looking at the pictures again, all the plates look very dry. Were they?
Or did you wipe them off?
It would be normal for a wet clutch to be dry if the bike sat a long time, but not after being ridden recently.
Which is what the guys above were talking about plates sticking.
They get dry or gummy from lack of use, and can cause your issue..but again, after riding, that should clear up quickly, or you should see excessive wear or damage.
And, oil has to be flowing in there as it should be, otherwise the plates would be burnt and glazed.
Kinda strange.
But, internet diagnosis isn't always as easy as in person either.
It'll be interesting to know what happens when you ride it again.
But hopefully it'll work fine now.

Looking at the pictures again, all the plates look very dry. Were they?
Or did you wipe them off?
It would be normal for a wet clutch to be dry if the bike sat a long time, but not after being ridden recently.
Which is what the guys above were talking about plates sticking.
They get dry or gummy from lack of use, and can cause your issue..but again, after riding, that should clear up quickly, or you should see excessive wear or damage.
And, oil has to be flowing in there as it should be, otherwise the plates would be burnt and glazed.
Kinda strange.
But, internet diagnosis isn't always as easy as in person either.
It'll be interesting to know what happens when you ride it again.
But hopefully it'll work fine now.
I had it running last night figuring out where the noise was coming from. Turned it off, and left it on the spool stand overnight. Took the cover off this morning, and removed the plates. They were dry when I took them out. They do feel pretty gummy and sticky. Could that be from it sitting overnight on the stand?

I had the bike off, squeezed the clutch and the packs moved over slightly (looking through the oil fill) , so I figured at least those parts were okay.

....and to add to what @sixpack577 is saying, these engines much like most Suzuki engines run a bit noisy and rattly....just the way I personally like it as they have character.

Yep, each one comes factory with it's own gremlin.
They clang and bang on things regulary, just testing to make sure everything is in order.
If your Suzuki is nice and quiet...then you should be concerned, lmao!

I had it running last night figuring out where the noise was coming from. Turned it off, and left it on the spool stand overnight. Took the cover off this morning, and removed the plates. They were dry when I took them out. They do feel pretty gummy and sticky. Could that be from it sitting overnight on the stand?

I had the bike off, squeezed the clutch and the packs moved over slightly (looking through the oil fill) , so I figured at least those parts were okay.

If the bike is level, there should be some oil in the cover.
Which means there should be a little oil on the bottom of the plates.
Is the oil visible in the site glass?

Back