Clutch Issues ???????? maybe

mnbusa03

Registered
Not new to bikes but new to hayabusa i have a 03 I think i have some clutch issues pull up to a light and you stop and then creep ahead a bit disingaging the the clutch abit and then ingage it again and you can feel the bike jurking forword still dose anybody know what this mite be ????????????? 2nd thing bike will not shift in to 2nd gear above 10grand but if you try to shift it anything under that it works fine ?????? thanks ****

bump for you because i am curious to hear what the experts say. i've had the heavy jerk issue when engaging the bike in 1st with both my gen1 for years and no shifting problems and currently my gen 2. have you flushed your clutch fluid lately? does the shifting feel smooth aside from the 2 symptoms you explained? any visible crap in your sight glass?

Stuff looks good to me but i dont know if the clutch was bled right and i dont know how to do that and that was one of the things i was going to do with the clutch change

Well start with the simple stuff, take the clutch cover off and check the clutch basket for any excesive wear or damage...check the clutch plates and springs, if you can take the basket out the better..since your at it replace the clutch fluid and bleed it again...are you letting the throttle go a little before shifting at 10K??...as far as the clutch shatter is pretty normal, before you start the bike lean it slightly right and wet the clutches ..that might help, once you run it for a little it should stop. Oh! check the foot shifter position it happened to me once and I could not shift...go thru all the gears...as far as bleeding the clutch I am not going to lie is a pain...I bought a bleed pump at P boys..made it easier...pretty much open the clutch reservoir, cycle the clutch a lot...hold it down, release the preassure valve...check fluid level and repeat for ever until the clutch engages properly...

thanks ya i am going to open the cover this weekend and start working on it. Spring is all most here so and i just wanted to get people info or what they mite think it mite be or if this has happin to anybody else

I had a similar issue recently, big clunk selecting first gear and a vicious on/off bite point right at the end of the lever travel on my 45000 mile gen 1, made for interesting getaways in traffic & filtering for sure..

I stripped the clutch out, cleaned, the plates, then soaked them overnight in fresh oil, then rebuilt it in the same order they came out...slightly better but still not right..

So, stripped again, then checked the plate order & thickness against the manual.....seems the previous owner had tried this and put the plates in completely the wrong order with the driven plates sharp edge inward....:banghead:

So, correctly rebuilt and the clutch is night & day...lesson learned...never trust anothers work on your bike :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok thanks and how do you know what plates go where ?????? this bike was a full out drag bike at one time Hitman Motorsports in White Bear Lake, MN they built it and put it back to stock before i got it and i dont bring any of my stuff in for work in less its hell or hi water so

I've Bleed my clutch on my 05 busa and I cant get them to engage I'll try again tomorrow.
I don't know what to do or how to get it back like it was. HELP me

Thanks Ludicrous Speed but 02 and up one is only 20 some pages lol lol but the 08 and up is like 600 pages go figure right

Thanks Ludicrous Speed but 02 and up one is only 20 some pages lol lol but the 08 and up is like 600 pages go figure right

The '02 manual that you're seeing is a supplement to the '99-'00 manual. The '99-'00 manual covers the entire GenI lineup, minus the '01 & '02 supplements.

Back