Clutch Issue - Just can't figure this out

goalie31

Registered
So a couple of weeks ago I was riding home from work and gave the bike (08 BKing) some throttle and the motor just revved and basically didn't have any additional acceleration. I figured the clutch must be shot so I ordered a Suzuki kit for an 08 - 12 hayabusa, which I figured must be the same. I took the old clutch out and have installed the new set. There were 3 different drive plates and 2 different driven plates (2 plates are 2.3 thick, the rest are 2.0). I installed the (2) 2.3 driven plates at the 4th & 5th positions in the sequence. I offset the last friction plate and installed the pressure plate. Now the problem. I can spin the pressure plate with my hand. It doesn't sit inside of the clutch basket. I can move the clutch pack back and forth about 1/16 to 1/8" of an inch. I did notice that the shoulder on the clutch push shaft was not close to the nut that secures the clutch cam set.

I can't figure out what's the issue. Could the push rod from the release cylinder be causing this the clutch push shaft from retracting fully, thus causing the pressure plate from contacting the friction plate? Or is my release cylinder keeping the clutch rod from retracting fully. I really need some expert advise on this. Calling all clutch gurus!!!

Thanks,

Bill

Most likleys a dirty
Clurch slave from chain lube and years of riding .
Pull the slave completly
And see if your air gap disapears on the basket side.
If so clean and rebuild your slave cylinder .

Thanks for the suggestion. The more I thought about it that's what I started thinking. Never had this issue before. I did buy the bike used a couple of years ago so who knows if the fluid was ever changed. I probably should have done it. I did lube the hell out of the chain though. It was dirtier tan anything when I bought it.

Had to take off the slave cylinder to get the pressure plate to mesh with the basket. Put it back on, started it and the pressure plate contacted the cover. Took it apart again, took off the slave again and pushed the piston back in. It came right back to the position it started at. This time I cracked the bleeder and push it back in and tightened the bleeder up. Same result. Did the same thing again and now I need to bleed the system. From what I can tell the clutch isn't releasing. Now I have to buy a vacumn bleeder to get the damn clutch to release. Never lend tools like this to co-workers. They sometimes move on and don't return your stuff. Anyway, does anyone have a clue why the slave won't let the clutch retract back into the basket?

Update: So I just rebuilt the slave and bled the system. The clutch still does not disengage far enough to release when in gear? I'm lost. I took the clutch cover off and could see that the plate moves, but not far enough. When I put the new clutch in I couldn't get the pressure plate to mesh with the basket without taking off the slave cylinder. It appeared the rod was sticking out too far to let the pressure plate seat properly. Still is the same. What is causing this? I don't see any alignment marks that would indicate that the pressure plate needs to line up with a certain spot on the basket. So far I've replaced the clutch, clutch line and rebuilt the slave. Any mechanics out there with a suggestion? HELP HELP SOS!

With out being there its very hard to help . Its time to get out the old service manual , and start from scratch . To make sure you didnt miss something important.
I know the first 1200 bandit S I did was terrible . Use to doing ZRX clutches ( cake walk ) , and I messed up on the bandit by plate orientation and WASHER, CLUTCH PLATE installed backwards . Looking at the parts diagram the Hayabusa looks very similar to the 1200 bandit .

2008 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) CLUTCH | Ron Ayers

Have you measured the stack height, the parts are different but if set up correctly can be used
Refer to your manual for the installed height of the stack.

Same height as the stock one I took out. I thought the clutch bolts were rubbing on the cover, but have since figured out that the teeth on the pressure plate are grinding when I pull in the clutch lever. The pressure plate does not mesh completely with the clutch basket. It's like the clutch is in partial release now that I've re-installed the slave cylinder. I can't see that there is an specific mark to line the pressure plate with the basket so the mystery just keeps going on. Not that everything is put back together again, the pressure plate does not contact the plates. When I pull in the lever to lifts the plate so far off the basket that the teeth grind because they're releasing completely from the basket.

2015-10-02 16.38.45.jpg

2015-10-02 16.39.38.jpg

Back