Clutch flush

GAmedic

Registered
I searched and didnt find much for the answer I'm looking for.

1. Where is the drain for the clutch?

2. What fluid do you use?

If I remember did mine a while ago I had to remove the left fairing panel to access the nipple to bleed the clutch sort of above the front sprocket cover I used a good quality DOT 4 brake fluid for the job :thumbsup:
/\ /\ /\.....this.

You drain it by bleeding it, a speed bleeder is your friend here.

I figured I would need to remove the side panel but was hoping not to. I did the brake flush today and figured I would do the clutch. Guess I'll do that Wednesday after work. So, I can use the same fluid I used for my brakes?

DSC_2632.JPG

Sealing ring. Do not scratch it :) it's a Piston similar to your engine pistons.

Good deal. Wednesday or Thursday is the day I'll be tearing the bike down and doing a good detail on it. I'll flush the clutch then. When I finished the brake flush yesterday, I noticed how much different in color the two were.

I just r&r’d my brake lines and flushed the clutch. I’d recommend buying a Mity Vac from NAPA, I think they are around 40$. It’s cumbersome and slow pumping the clutch lever, turning the bleeder screw, and holding a hose in a can at the same time. The Mity Vac sucks fluid through the bleeder screw which is easier to manage (don’t let the reservoir go empty or you’ll suck air).

The Mityvac Silver I got doesn't produce enough vacuum to bleed brakes. Must be something wrong with it.

Anyway, here's how I do it for brakes and clutch:

GenII Front and Rear Brake Fluid, Clutch Fluid Bleed/Drain | Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself

It takes a little practice but you'll get the hang of it. Just don't go tight on the bleeders as you open and close them to bleed. The threads are delicate and its unnecessary to tighten them more than barely snug while you are bleeding. Save the tight torque for after the bleeding is complete.

Use DOT #4 fluid or a fluid like Valvoline rated "DOT #3 and #4". I'd stay away from DOT 5.

Back