Clutch fluid leaking???

first vr4

Registered
I was having a problem while downshifting my bike the other day. Turned out I was very low on fluid in my clutch reservoir. I filled it and while out riding today the same thing happened. Where could my fluid be going? I don't see any leaks anywhere! Is it possible to end up in my oil?
Thanks for any help!

Most probably your clutch slave cylinder leaking. It will leak behind the cover that is over the front sprocket. When mine was leaking I never did see a puddle or a drip. :beerchug:

Last edited:
The famous slave cylinder I've been hearing about! I guess it dries up and allowes fluid to escape. I didn't realise that it is located behind the sprocket cover. Do you happen to know if there's a DYI for changing it out?
Thanks, I was wondering if the lost fluid was ending up in my engine oil! I feel much better now!
:beerchug:
Shawn

I didn't find any posts with pics for this fix. I have replaced the seal in mine and it was very straight forward. There is a service manual for the gen 1 bikes available for download around here somewhere. Drop me a PM if you would like me to send you the scanned pages from my manual. :beerchug:

Thanks for the help! I now have the manual and just need to look up what page it's on. Too late tonight, just got back from a little drive (not ride) to Delaware.
Thanks again :beerchug:
Shawn

No problem. Good luck & have fun... working on your bike can be fun too!! :beerchug:

you can do it... the seal is 8.95 or so. i went to the dealer and they want to charge me 175.00 do fix the problem (thieves) i fix the problem with 28.95

17.00 half galon bacardi (white)
2.99 12 pk coke
8.95 slave cylinder seal
if i was at home i give u the PN but i'm out to sea right now.

Clean everything good, pull out the clutch push rod, clean it and grease the rod good.

If the slave cylinder is leaking, cleaning the push rod won't solve the problem.

Easy to rebuild the slave cylinder with new seals, just be very sure everything is spotlessly clean.

Also, note that if it's leaking, it will leak onto your chain and THAT could damage your O-rings.

--Wag--

luckily it did not leak onto my chain....it was a very small leak and stayed around the clutch cover and dripped down the kickstand holder. So it's just one piece that I need right?

luckily it did not leak onto my chain....it was a very small leak and stayed around the clutch cover and dripped down the kickstand holder. So it's just one piece that I need right?

I believe so. Replace whatever rubber parts there are in there. I believe the one you want is the cup.

--Wag--

that's what I wanted to check...I saw that there is a spring, the cup, then the main shell. So ill order the cup today.

Thanks
Ram

If the slave cylinder is leaking, cleaning the push rod won't solve the problem.

Easy to rebuild the slave cylinder with new seals, just be very sure everything is spotlessly clean.

Also, note that if it's leaking, it will leak onto your chain and THAT could damage your O-rings.

--Wag--

You retard! (and i say that respectfully Sir) i meant, that when he actually does the durty deed to grease push rod!!! :thumbsup:

Duh. Of course. But I thought everyone cleaned everything every time they had something apart.

Or am I the only retard that does that? :D

--Wag--

Hate to bring back the dead here but do I need to seperate the engine case to replace this seal? Anyone have a good walk thru?
Thanks for the help!

Back