Clutch? Fluid? Crimped Cable? Lever?

Vman1313

Registered
So I have a 2002 Busa with around 18,000 all stock...I installed risers and before riding around the block I checked that all hoses/cables/etc were not pinched or crimped. I then rode around the block for a little bit and loved the position the risers put me in while riding. Came back, checked bolts were still tight and that cables and all were still not crimped or pinched. The next day I rode around for a few hours with no problem but started noticing I was having to squeeze the clutch more and more to get it to engage/switch gears as I was getting home. Today I went to ride and bike cranks in neutral but when you try to put in first it just lurches forward.

Ideas / comments / suggestions / fixes / HELP would be appreciated!!!:please:

THANKS!!!!

Service life of the stock rubber hoses is less than 10 years. Bending them around to install the risers probably resulted in them starting to allow air into the system. You can try bleeding, but you will probably have thus reoccur until you replace the hoses.

Just curious - why would air get into the lines all of a sudden? ???

Just saw BUSAWHIPPEDs response which answered my "curious" question. I figured it was a result of the risers. I really tried to make sure no cables or hoses were crimped or tugged or whatever BUT I guess I didnt do a good enough job.

OK - lets retry this reply edit one last time....So best thing to do is replace hose and bleed lines! Anything else I should do while I am it?

Just curious - why would air get into the lines all of a sudden? ???

Just saw BUSAWHIPPEDs response which answered my "curious" question. I figured it was a result of the risers. I really tried to make sure no cables or hoses were crimped or tugged or whatever BUT I guess I didnt do a good enough job.

OK - lets retry this reply edit one last time....So best thing to do is replace hose and bleed lines! Anything else I should do while I am it?

You might as well go with stainless lines all around if you haven't already.

sounds like air in the lines to me
I'm with mr8ball. Try flushing the fluid and bleeding before you do anything else. It's probably never been done before. That, and the pistons in the clutch hydraulics are so tiny that just the tiniest bit of air will make the system not work. It took me two tries to get the clutch to work right.

First of all, :thumbsup: thanks again to all who replied and put your 2 cents in...consensus was air in fluid lines and THAT was the problem.:bowdown: It really helped me feel confident going into the motorcycle shop at least having an idea of what I was talking about...NAILING the problem was just bonus. Guys there were impressed...I gave the org (you guys) all the credit!!! I had tried to go buy a bleeder since I had never bled lines but no one had one in stock. One place could order me one for $41...???...took it as a sign to not attempt...made the right choice as the motorcycle shop charged me only $35 to fix. Pretty happy and its riding nice BUT being as I am I wanted to know WHY it happened in the first place so I pulled off the left fairing just to look around. I noticed a small small SMALL leak (see pic). I have been looking at my manual I downloaded but can not find what this is called. This is where the bled the line so at least I know I am in the right place. Can anyone tell me what this part is called?:please:

THANKS for all the help!!

leak6-29.jpg

Next time it happens, save yourself the $35. Put some zip ties on the brake lever around the throttle and cinch them as tight as you can get them, let it sit overnight. Next day, bazinga! No air in lines :)

Back